Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 136 total)
  • Look what they have they done to Carron Valley!
  • davidrussell
    Free Member

oh, forgot – the CX thing on Kelpies was done… 🙂

scotabroad

That is a crime, add a chicken run sure but to do that boggles he mind!!

Mind you on the plus side they can downgrade the trail to a blue and attract more families because the rest to the trail was no where near a red grading.

dmiller
    Free Member

thebikechain – I understand your points, we do need easier trails to tempt people into the sport (although I wouldn't say I was a good rider myself). However there is scope for so much more to be made at CV that there was no need to change the current trails – that's what annoyed me the most. Please develop CV, please make more trails, please add extra scope for people to enjoy it, but why the heck destroy whats already there and good to do it?

It like taking good books, pulping them and then using them to print stuff like Harry Potter and Twilight etc on. These books are great, people will read them, enjoy reading them and then move onto even better books. But how can they if you have pulped the better books?

Hmmm – that makes sense to me anyway.

Also where is the nearest proper red to Glasgow now as CV should be a blue? Glentress / Laggan are the closest I think…

David.

allyharp

If its so easy for people then make it harder for yourself by taking a different bike

All very well for those who can afford to own a range of bikes, but I'd say they are a minority.

And if you can't afford to travel to the ends of the country you probably can't afford a extra bikes either.

BoardinBob

Does anyone know who has been involved with the design of the revisions? Was it purely FCS or were people that actually now something about mountain biking involved?

Diane
    Free Member

What a shame! Beginners can always get off and walk , we all need something to aspire to.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

I believe that this issue was a part of the falling out between the trailbuilders and the FC at Carron valley. Research by the FC showed that blue trails get far more riders than reds and blacks – far far more and the FC wanted to attract more folk and not just cater to the hard core of experienced riders – so this makes sense. Have blue graded trails for all as a base then add reds / blacks in later as funding allows.

Remember the gnarly riders that inhabit STW are a minority

BoardinBob

Research by the FC showed that blue trails get far more riders than reds and blacks

Really?

Anytime I've done the blue at Glentress, other than the shared sections with the red/black, I've always been the only person on it. Obviously not the only person, but I've never met anyone on it at all.

strange.

And the word is they're dumbing down CV because of potential legal action when folk fall off rather than any attempt to attract new riders.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Remember the gnarly riders that inhabit STW

😆 🙄

I think more blue routes is good. But to demolish a decent techy bit on a red is rubbish.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Boarding bob – so I believe from people who know about these things.

caledonia
    Free Member

Quick Question… How can it all be blue if the last run back to the carpark is full of berms and doubles ?

Stu

Caledonia – because they are (probably) removing all of the doubles.

dmiller
    Free Member

I just stuck this map together (Google maps is actually really good for this!) to show how important CV could be:

Its the only trail center really all that close to the central population belt and is the closest to Glasgow…

Actually the strathpuffer trails are missing. Although they would just add to my point 😉

Northwind

Yeah, but that's an argument for more trails at Carron (or elsewhere in the central belt) not for keeping Carron as a red (or for that matter for changing it to blue). But there are reasons that trail centres tend to be built a wee bit off the beaten track- one justification is always to bring visitors into the area.

robgarrioch

dmiller – don't discount Comrie Croft, just west of Crieff. Some good video here too.

grumm
    Free Member

It's a bit daft but it's not like it was the most exciting feature in the world anyway – I had heard people going on about how scary it was but when I rode it I had to look at the map afterwards to make sure I'd done it. Some of that gravel will wash away before too long as well. I agree with Northwind really.

Hope they don't wreck all the jumps though, I found that section quite fun, though they were a bit short.

dmiller
    Free Member

Yeah, but that's an argument for more trails at Carron (or elsewhere in the central belt) not for keeping Carron as a red (or for that matter for changing it to blue).

I think I am being rubbish at explaining myself – I want more trails at CV – I want a blue (and maybe a black, although the blue would be more important!) trail built. I just didn't want it at the expense of the red trail 🙁

dmiller – don't discount Comrie Croft, just west of Crieff. Some good video here too.

Cheers Rob!

David.

scotabroad

Quick Question… How can it all be blue if the last run back to the carpark is full of berms and doubles

they are tame ones, can all be rolled. Rest of the trail is blue IMO, its a nice ride, not knocking it but it is a decent blue ride.

craig1975
    Free Member

I was dreading what they where going to do to the place.. lest hope they don't sanitise the jumpy section

zaskar
    Free Member

I can ride my roadbike there now… 👿

dmiller
    Free Member

I was dreading what they where going to do to the place.. lest hope they don't sanitise the jumpy section

I suspect they will 🙁

PROLINE85
    Free Member

I've ridden at Carron Valley many times I'd just like to say a big thanks to the original trail builders. I've never met any of them, but have read everything on their website and NO ONE could dispute that the FC treated them appallingly. There must be lot's of other people who also appreciate all the work that they did as well.

It's ridiculous that they've destroyed Kelpies, and still seen fit to waste money on 2 chicken runs. It's equally ridiculous to think that there are no proper trail centres in the central belt, what's that all about? It has the highest population in Scotland and loads of areas that could be used (like CV).

Yes Scotland has lots of great natural and man made trails, but surely there's enough bikers to justify a good trail centre closer to Glasgow/Edinburgh!

dmiller
    Free Member

Yes Scotland has lots of great natural and man made trails, but surely there's enough bikers to justify a good trail centre closer to Glasgow/Edinburgh!

Indeed – its not like we are short of hills either with the Campsies and the Ochils…

Although the above link to Comrie Croft looks interesting:

Following a brief downhill respite, the singletrack begins and winds its way up through some technical forest sections with some interesting features, check out the chunky bedrock slab with off camber descent, and the water splash. A little more climbing takes you to the descent, which is a thrilling mix of tight twisty singletrack and natural bedrock. On the way down you’ll also encounter a little fun park in a disused quarry and a great variety of surfaces and riding styles.

Not a course to be ridden at top speed, the emphasis is more on the technical and challenging aspects of riding and after an hour you’ll be back in the car park with a big grin on your face and a healthy notion to go and do it all again!

Sounds fun!

robgarrioch

Do a wee search on it up above, David – good course, quite tech but not much in the way of facilities. I'm unsure if it's open all year (hope so, want to go again before new year)
    There's also a fair bit to be had at Aberfoyle I believe, haven't ridden there myself though (marshalled at a wet round of the Scottish XC, & they seemed to find plenty of variation!)

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

IIRC another part of the issue is funding streams. Some of the money comes from regional development funds – so the central belt does not qualify. Some of it comes from believe it or not health promotion budgets – but that is aimed at trails for all not for the expert elite.

Jeezo chaps – we have one of the best if not the best MTB set ups in the world in Scotland and its still not good enough for you.

I don't know the whole story of Carron Valley but from what I do know there were two issues – the aims of the FC and the trailbuilders was different ( inclusive for all or red routes) and there were personality clashes.

Building trail centres is expensive and where does the money come from? Not the riders directly on the whole.

Compare the provision in Scotland to England or NI and stop moaning

dmiller
    Free Member

TandemJeremy – I would agree with most of your points, but why not have more MTB near Glasgow and Edinburgh then? if you wanted to make a change to health then you would build it where people can get to it.

I'm not saying make CV super hard, just please develop it more, not spoil whats there!

I just don't get why the 7 stanes gets so much budget spent so close together. There seems to be a disproportionate amount spent in the Dumfries and Galloway area to me – spend some of that cash up in the Glasgow/Edinburgh/Perth area instead?

I seem to remember someone telling me, and I don't know how accurate this is, that Glentress gets the majority of the footfall (as you would expect), then CV, then the rest of the 7 stanes together, then all the other trail centers. CV or somewhere nearby would be ideal for development!

Also as to England / NI – there are many reasons I am lucky to live in Scotland. MTB centers is one, right to roam is another, the sunny weather a third 😉

PROLINE85
    Free Member

"There seems to be a disproportionate amount spent in the Dumfries and Galloway area to me – spend some of that cash up in the Glasgow/Edinburgh/Perth area instead!"

Well said!

GlenMore
    Free Member

dmiller – Member

I just don't get why the 7 stanes gets so much budget spent so close together. There seems to be a disproportionate amount spent in the Dumfries and Galloway area to me – spend some of that cash up in the Glasgow/Edinburgh/Perth area instead?

Wasn't a lot of the initial investment to help recover from the impact of Foot & Mouth? And does the likes of Edinburgh need more tourism income?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Sustrans routes? Callender to Killin for example and there is a trail being sorted along the forth IIRC. Not for gnarlmeisters like you all but all about encouraging cycling for health promotion

I dunno for sure but the central belt does not get the regional development funds which I think was the biggest part of the funding

fotheringtonthomas
    Free Member

(There seems to be a disproportionate amount spent in the Dumfries and Galloway area to me – spend some of that cash up in the Glasgow/Edinburgh/Perth area instead?)

The reason is D/G needs investment because of its poor economy and the stanes were introduced directly as a consequence of the impact of foot and mouth on tourism. As a galloway boy I think we deserve investment you compare the ecomomy of Perthshire and that of Wigtonshire and the oppertunities for employment in the central belt with those in rural Galloway no Common Wealth games money comming our way

grumm
    Free Member

There's also a fair bit to be had at Aberfoyle I believe

I found a couple of really nice little purpose built singletrack descents in the QE Forest Park behind the David Marshall Lodge – very short though. I wondered if there was other stuff around there.

craig1975
    Free Member

As someone that lives in Glasgow but has family ties in Dumfries, I do feel that the central belt is in much need of a trail centre, yea we do have some good natural stuff here, but most if it gets too wet and boggy, (or maybe I'm not looking in the correct places) so it's a 1.1/2 – 2 hr drive south for me, I'm lucky because i have a car and family down there, two Bird's one stone…

"There seems to be a disproportionate amount spent in the Dumfries and Galloway area to me – spend some of that cash up in the Glasgow/Edinburgh/Perth area instead!"

I'm not so sure about that. when you consider the close proximity of the border, as a frequent visitor to 4 of the trail centre in D&G most riders and groups I meet come from south of the border, it's few and far between when I meet locals, D&G has a very good catchment area for the central belt and northern england….

but what about those who don't own a car ?? what ? get a train to dumfries-2hrs then a bus or taxi to dalbettie another 1hr, do the trail then somehow get a bus back to dumfries then a 2hr train journey.. so your looking at around 6 hrs travel…. who's up for that ?? na… Ill just stick to getting bogin around mugdock….

surly there must be a good argument for a descent trail centre closer to the two major city's in the country…. and can someone explain to me why there isn't

deus

Kelpies was pants to begin with, and it looks even more pathetic now.

And as for the runway, they couldn't possibly make it any worse, those were the shortest jumps in the world. The jumps at Learnie (iir my trail centres correctly) were epic and i can only hope that they've been copied!

some of the descents on CV were good fun if you really blasted down them although it didn't pay to overcook anything thanks to the logs that had been placed at the edge of the trail (i know they were to stop people cutting corners but rocks are sooo much grippier).

And why re-grade it as a blue? it's a right pig to get to either from Denny or Stirling as the roads are probably more technical than the trail and last time i was there there wasn't much in the way of facilities beyond the car park. NOt the sort of roads you'd want more cars on.

I did have a magical evening/ night ride when snow was falling once, looked as though everything was covered in diamonds and the ice crystals in the air sparkled beautifully.

I'd far rather go to Pitmedden and park at the Glen Tarkie car park as the descent back to the car is so much fun. plus there's all sort of singletrack there, if you don't fancy it you can always ride the fire roads instead.

GlenMore
    Free Member

craig1975 – Member

but what about those who don't own a car ?? what ? get a train to dumfries-2hrs then a bus or taxi to dalbettie another 1hr, do the trail then somehow get a bus back to dumfries then a 2hr train journey.. so your looking at around 6 hrs travel…. who's up for that ?? na… Ill just stick to getting bogin around mugdock….

Buying and riding a mountain bike is not some sort of inalienable right, nor is it yet provided by social services. If you don't have a car and you want to cycle, how about buying a road bike?

proteus
    Free Member

I don't know the whole story of Carron Valley but from what I do know there were two issues – the aims of the FC and the trailbuilders was different ( inclusive for all or red routes) and there were personality clashes.
    Maybe it'd be better if you didn't trot out your usual nonsense on it then?

DickBarton

Tandemjeremy, sorry mate but everything you have typed about CV is pure mince…the plans that were agreed back in 06 had plenty of trails for beginners, families and intermediary riders – the only trails not on the map were Black – the FC didn't want anything developed there, it was by sheer hard work and the FC getting themselves into a corner that the trails that were built got built. At the time the FC didn't want any trails built, we got close to agreeing a Green trail – got it flagged out and surveyed and then the FC decided to change it all and no include the green bike trail…so yes, we totally believed in the requirement to build trails for all levels and the plans included that…but it just wasn't to be…

Funding streams – do you work for the FC? There is stacks of cash out there – you just have to know where to look (and also be a suitable group to access it) – FC is limited to what it can apply for – CVDG could have applied for almost £2million – if they had been given the green light all the way – that is not say they would have got it all, but the money is there to be had – if you meet the criteria…

By all means post your thoughts, but please don't make them sound as though you are speaking with any authority on the subject as it is very clear you aren't – not an attempt at a go at you but the number of people who think they know what happened and that are so far from the truth it starts to grate when people come on and claim to know how it all happened…

craig1975
    Free Member

Buying and riding a mountain bike is not some sort of inalienable right, nor is it yet provided by social services. If you don't have a car and you want to cycle, how about buying a road bike?

a what ??????

dmiller
    Free Member

Craig – get a cross bike – then you can pretend you 'cross it at the weekend. Its what I have done 😉

dmiller
    Free Member

At the time the FC didn't want any trails built

Richard – did you ever find out why?

I just dont understand why they wouldn't it – good publicity, people outside and enjoying themselves, land put to good to use, its not real work form them if the CVDG did all the admin and digging…

The reason is D/G needs investment because of its poor economy and the stanes were introduced directly as a consequence of the impact of foot and mouth on tourism. As a galloway boy I think we deserve investment you compare the ecomomy of Perthshire and that of Wigtonshire and the oppertunities for employment in the central belt with those in rural Galloway no Common Wealth games money comming our way

Oh. I didnt think of this. Also my comment wasnt meant to sound like D&G was getting to much – just that if you are developing can we have some too! It reads a bit like sour grapes when I read it back now. Sorry!

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Protueus / Dick barton – fair enough. I stand corrected

By all means post your thoughts, but please don't make them sound as though you are speaking with any authority on the subject as it is very clear you aren't…………..

Hence I put " I don't know the whole story of " "IIRC" " I believe" and so on – I thought that showed that I did not have all the information

apologies

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 136 total)

The topic ‘Look what they have they done to Carron Valley!’ is closed to new replies.