Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Look MTB pedals, S cage
  • LoCo
    Free Member

Morning, I’m looking at a new set of pedals soon, currently running Time caged ones.
    Has anyone used the Look S cage, specifically the s cage race as they’re the cheapest and not much heavier (3gms than the middle of the range ones :wink:)?
    How are they for float and durability as they’ll have to deal with the South Wales rocks.

http://www.lookcycle.com/en/us/vtt/pedales/s-track-race.html

soma_rich
    Free Member

are they compatible with time cleats?

LoCo
    Free Member

No idea

njee20
    Free Member

Sincerely doubt it. Look entirely different:

I had some of the old Quartz and the way you have to shim the cleat for them to work is dreadful IMO, with soft soled shoes I could never get them to work properly. Worst product I’ve ever tried, be interested to know if the S-Tracks are better.

Seems the shims are only needed to help improve the contact on the ‘wings’ of the cleat, so may well be.

LoCo
    Free Member

Was that to get the cleat to clear the surrounding sole of the shoe?
    I have had the cut bits off the bottom of my shoes to get the Time cleats to work so that’s not too much of an issue.

njee20
    Free Member

Was that to get the cleat to clear the surrounding sole of the shoe?

No, they rely on a constant distance between sole and pedal to work – so if the tread depth changes (ie if you get mud on your shoes) you suddenly find you can’t clip in, because the cleat doesn’t ‘reach’ the pedal. Take the shims out, and you find the tread bottoms out on the pedal before the cleat engages, so your foot comes out at the slightest provocation.

These do look good, but once bitten twice shy and that…

LoCo
    Free Member

Will find one of my mates shops with them in stock and go and have a look then to see how this newer system works on them and how it works with my shoes.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Look MTB pedals, S cage’ is closed to new replies.