Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Look at what my lovely hubby has been up to! (Singlespeed content)
  • MountainMonkey
    Free Member

So, while I’ve been studying hard this eve, my lovely husband has been changing this:

[url=https://flic.kr/p/njMVYm]image[/url] by mountainmonkeygirl, on Flickr

Into this!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/ncok1z]image[/url] by mountainmonkeygirl, on Flickr

I knew I had married well! 😀

What do you think? (About the bike, not my decision to marry)

I’ll be the first to admit, it’s not the most refined singlespeed (oh how I would love an EBB), but as a relatively budget conversion, I’m pretty happy with it. It was light before but now it’s veeery light, so I’m hoping that’ll help when my legs start dying (which is going to be inevitable for the first few months I think)

Oh and for those of you who’ve been waiting with bated breath to see if I went alu or steel for the chainring, the answer is…[drum roll]… steel! (Partly because it’s more sensible, but also because it is shinier)

leythervegas
    Free Member

You’ll enjoy single speeding I reckon. Really different but enjoyable and certainly gets you fit! Looks like he’s done a top job there mate.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Oooooh, looks good! 😛

mtbtomo
    Free Member

You might want to change the chain tensioner to push the chain up to keep it taught rather than down. I always found that my chain slipped under load with the tensioner like that, but it might depend on the rear sprocket size.

Singlespeeding is tough but fun!

murf
    Free Member

He took your gears away? Did you upset him or something? 😉

If I converted my Wife’s bike to singlespeed I’d be getting dragged through the divorce courts 🙂

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Thanks Mamadirt and leythervegas – glad you approve!

You’ll enjoy single speeding I reckon. Really different but enjoyable and certainly gets you fit!

Yeah, I’m really looking forward to taking it out, although the ratio is a bit tougher than it was on my last one (which was also pre babies), so I’m not sure how I’ll fare… I guess we’ll see!

You might want to change the chain tensioner to push the chain up to keep it taught rather than down

Yeah, that was our plan, but it needs a half link (which we don’t happen to have) for that to be an option, and even with that I don’t think it’ll work to be honest, as there’s just too little room between the chain and rear stay. We’ll try with a half link, but I’m not hopeful. You see, clearly I need an ebb 😉

Andy

+1 for push up tensioner for more teeth wrapped round rear sprocket

Edit. Too slow 🙂

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

He took your gears away? Did you upset him or something?

Don’t worry, I’ve suggested we get rid of his too! 😉 …having said that, so far, he’s only taken mine…hmmm 😐

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Edit. Too slow

Don’t worry Andy – just yet more evidence to support my claim of an EBB being absolutely necessary. 🙂

boxelder

Push up was the answer for me too.

scaredypants

check your email, Darcy’ll have been in touch about your floorboards
    😀

gears_suck
    Free Member

If you’re craving an ebb. It’ll mean a new frame yea? In that case, I recommend sliding drop outs. Much better than an ebb IMO.

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

If you’re craving an ebb. It’ll mean a new frame yea? In that case, I recommend sliding drop outs. Much better than an ebb IMO.

Nope, there are now a few designs that will fit into this frame. I’ve had sliding drop outs before and tbh, I found them a real faff. My hubby has an ebb and it’s loads simpler – it’s definitely my favoured option (not least because at 5’3″ it’s hard enough finding a good frame that fits, let alone one with sliding drop outs!)

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

check your email, Darcy’ll have been in touch about your floorboards

Oi, our floorboards are lovely…just a bit, um, ‘rustic’, that’s all 🙂

peteimpreza

[/url] Boot by peteimpreza, on Flickr[/img]

Boot says “not sure that’s an improvement.” 😀

belugabob
    Free Member

Definitely needs a monkey themed headbadge.
    Link to article mentioned in myearlier post

tomhoward

I don’t think I could marry, or stay married to, someone who had such a devil may care attitude to valve/tyre logo alignment.

nedrapier

Very nice! Silver looks good! I’ve got a Phil Woods EBB for my standard (used to be standard!) threaded BB shell. Works very nicely, but still need a half link with the current gearing.

takisawa2

chicks dig singlespeeders is the usual mantra, so things could get interestinger..

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Boot says “not sure that’s an improvement.”

Awww Boot! That photo has just made me go all squishy inside! Ah, I do miss him… he looks so happy though! 🙂 (He’s always had questionable taste when it comes to bikes though)

I don’t think I could marry, or stay married to, someone who had such a devil may care attitude to valve/tyre logo alignment.

It’s true, I am a real wild child, me.

chicks dig singlespeeders is the usual mantra, so things could get interestinger..

😯

MountainMonkey
    Free Member

Very nice! Silver looks good! I’ve got a Phil Woods EBB for my standard (used to be standard!) threaded BB shell. Works very nicely, but still need a half link with the current gearing.

Thanks, yeah I like the silver too, tis pretty! As for EBB, I’ve definitely got an eye on the new Niner EBB… just have to wait for it to be released, but it looks great.

gears_suck
    Free Member

I’ve got a Phil Woods EBB for my standard (used to be standard!) threaded BB shell.

I never newd that! You learn something every day

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

That looks quality. SS is the bees knees, enjoy.

nedrapier

The Phil one is called the Philcentric, if you want to look it up. There’s another called the excentricker or something from Trickstuff components in Deutschland. Neither are cheap, but I was lucky to find one s/h from a nice chap off here.

nbt

Oooh. Is the philcentric compatible with square taper, dies any know? Just upgraded to Middleburn cranks on my ss

qwerty
    Free Member

Oooh

No.

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Look at what my lovely hubby has been up to! (Singlespeed content)’ is closed to new replies.