Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Longridge Fell
  • mudpackerdan
    Free Member

Rode over here for the first time on Saturday. I don’t know why I haven’t ridden here before, it’s only 1/2 an hour drive from my door!

Some great tracks up there, just wondering if I’ve missed any good ones.

Brief description:

Started from Ribchester, working my way on poorly marked bridleways and road work up to Jeffrey Hill, then over the Moor up to the beacon and through the trees (very rocky track) then technical tracks all the way to the east side and down a jump filled downhill in an open area (dead end!), then back up a fire road and then a lot of gradual downhill over to Hurst Green and along the river back to ribchester.

Similar to this http://www.bogtrotters.org/rides/2008/19apr/map.jpg but we went further east in the forest.

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

Sounds like you found most of the nice stuff.

There’s a track that goes from the trig down to the west, initially skirting the woods then down to the road that goes over Jeffrey Hill which is pretty good singletrack too. Or you can stay within the woods and follow it round the western end of the woods to rejoin a fireroad and climb back to the trig again.
    A couple of options from the end of that rocky track you describe too.
    There are a few nice little sections along the river from the suspension bridge back to Ribchester as well.
    We’ll probably be up on the Fell for a Wednesday nightride in the next week or two. Happy to show you around.

Glad to hear it’s still riding well and hasn’t yet deteriorated into a boggy mess (which it will again soon enough)

langylad
    Free Member

If you go down the rocky shoot you talked of, come out on the fire road and turn left. Follow that for half a mile or so and when the fire road swings right, carry straight on the narrower path. After a few hundred yards there is the option to turn right and follow singletrack back to the fire road or head straight on into the woods, again eventually coming out on the track.
    However, if you look carefully there is a path here that drops left off the fell that will bring you out on the Chaighley rd. It is mentally steep and fantasticly enjoyable, check your break pads are healthy and see if you can make the bottom without screaming. 😀
    Only downside is that you have to ride up Birdy Brow to get back to the woods.

mudpackerdan
    Free Member

Ecky thump -cheers, but I work afternoons :(. Rode quite well, some bits were wet underfoot, but not bad at all considering.

Langylad – sounds good! Is birdy brow the bridleway on the map?

Ecky-Thump
    Free Member

We were up there last night mudpackerdan, from about 7pm. It’s still riding well.

Oh and Birdy Brow is the soul-destroying road climb from the Eastern end.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Longridge Fell’ is closed to new replies.