Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Longest you've left meat in the slow cooker?
  • billytinkle
    Free Member

As above. I’m wondering what would happen to a beef joint left to cook on low for a few days?

binners

I left a full chicken in all day on Monday. It completely disintegrated. It was bloody lovely, mind 😀

Gunz
    Free Member

It would cook and then go dry I imagine. Can’t see any advantage over popping it on in the morning and then eating at dinner time.

hammerite
    Free Member

We got bought an Anthony Worral Thompson one buy a family member as a moving in present.

The first stew we tried doing it took 4 days. We didn’t dare eat it. We deemed this cooker as being a touch too slow.

haydenw
    Free Member

Left a gammon joint in one overnight (10 hours or so) Mmmmm Lovely!

maccruiskeen

I was looking at instructions for making Black Garlic

Instructions are – place garlic on a baking tray
    set oven to lowest setting it has – ideally 40 degrees (with a gas oven that would just be the pilot light on)

Leave for 40 days!

Decided I’d just buy some instead.

russ295
    Free Member

A good joint of lamb, cup of water and chopped carrots. 8 hours then remove fat and bone, add some bistro and a few heaps of mint sauce. Mmmmmm……….. Even the dog doesn’t leave the kitchen as he knows he’s getting the leftovers.

ericemel
    Free Member

I have done a rib of beef for 24hrs albeit at a very low temp.

freddyg
    Free Member

slight hijack

Our slow cooker is 23 years old and is ready for replacement. Any recommendations for a good one suitable for a family of 4? TIA

euain

You planning on cooking the family all at once – or one member at a time?

(Sorry…)

maccruiskeen

DezB
    Free Member

I liked that joke ^^^

My mum gave me a slow cooker. But none of Jamie’s 15 Minute Meals use one for some reason. So I dunno what to do with it.

ocrider

I quite often slow cook a leg of lamb.
    The French call it ‘Gigot d’agneau a la cuillere’ because you have no need for a knife when serving it up. Delicious again, Peter. 8)

honeybadgerx

@DezB

Pretty much just buy a random joint of meat, add a half a bottle of red wine, some stock and a bit of garlic, some random veg and turn on. Go riding for the day. Return and eat amazing food. Worth frying off onions before you put them in to get more flavour out of them.

We tend to use ours when we go night riding, can’t beat getting back in to a house full of amazing smells then sitting straight down to a tasty stew/casserole and good crusty bread.

DezB
    Free Member

You’ve made me hungry

Moses

Pork goes well in a slow cooker.
    I tried a joint at 100c for 24hrs in the ordinary elec oven this weekend. It was yummy, fell apart beautifully.

freddyg
    Free Member

^^^ Good joke 🙂

crush83
    Free Member

did some beef in there the other week was gorgeous. went out straight after and left the leftovers in the pot (turned off) a week later could smell something in the kitchen . . . .

jon1973
    Free Member

Our slow cooker is 23 years old and is ready for replacement. Any recommendations for a good one suitable for a family of 4? TIA

I think a slow cooker is one of those things you really don’t need to spend much money on. There’s nothing too them really. We got a 6.5ltr one from Argos for about £20 – we’ve had it for years and use it all the time. You can cook a huge amount is one of that size.

edit…

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Product/partNumber/4228826.htm

cranberry
    Free Member

Any recommendations for a good one

One of these depending on what size you need.

binners

Same as Jon said. You can get one for £20 that’s more than adequate for the job

jota180
    Free Member

When I used to race [motorbikes] we’d stick some meat and bits in the slow cooker Friday afternoon for eating when we got back, usually late Sunday.

freddyg
    Free Member

Cranberry
    One of these depending on what size you need.

Ooooooh! They look swish!

The Argos one looks alright too – however, MrsG will probably want something stainless steel and shiny… Please God, don’t let Dualit do one. 😐

martymac

we got one from B&M for £6, mini one, just big enough for a meal for 2 people.

rudebwoy
    Free Member

two months– forgot it was in there–it was switched off- had a green beard on it !!

lazybike
    Free Member

Sorry, I thought it was a euphemism…

dantsw13

Freddyg

This Very Expensive Slow Cooker

Should be perfect !!

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Longest you've left meat in the slow cooker?’ is closed to new replies.