Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • longest uninterrupted singletrack descent in Europe?
  • michaelcycle
    Free Member

by that I mean, 99% singletrack, 99% descending. Longest in distance and then also the one with the greatest descent, so you could suggest 2.

601 trail at Garda has 2001 metres of descending from top to the Lake side, pure singletrack, very tech. 12km long. Any greater/longer than that?

devash
    Free Member

I’m sure there’s one in Pila that is rather long. I’ll see if I can find a link.

EDIT: http://www.bikevalledaosta.it/pila.3.20.html

“Leaving from the peack at 2.700 m, the Pila-Aosta freeride track is 15 km long with a vertical drop of 1.100 m.”

AlexSimon

601 trail at Garda has 2001 metres of descending from top to the Lake side, pure singletrack, very tech. 12km long.

Sounds amazing – How long is the climb?

timidwheeler

Jandri to Venosc in Les Deux Alps? A lift accessed 2240m (of decent) red.

michaelcycle
    Free Member

601 trail at Garda has 2001 metres of descending from top to the Lake side, pure singletrack, very tech. 12km long.
    Sounds amazing – How long is the climb?

Normally get the shuttle to 1620 metres then pedal up the last 450 metres off road, takes about an hour and is 90% rideable for most riders. I have seen a small few clean it completely.

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

Cannock chase.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Swindon, Shirley?

chakaping
    Free Member

the Pila-Aosta freeride track is 15 km long

It doesn’t feel like its actually 15km though, we all thought that.

And you have to cross a road or two, but perhaps you do on the 601 as well?

P-Jay
    Free Member

Nobeerinthefridge – Member

Swindon, Shirley?

Behind Nationwide?

Spin
    Free Member

There’s bound to be loads of descents over 2000m. Pure single track makes it a bit more exclusive.

nedrapier

Not 2000m, but the 1500m off Mt Matajur in Slovenia into Italy is well worth doing.

andytherocketeer

Certainly done 2 descents of 17km, but I guess it depends on where you draw the line at 99% and uninterrupted. And also define singletrack.

One was Switzerland in to France with a couple of short sections on road (but there are ways around one at least), the other in Slovenia, with maybe the last 1km on road to what you’d call the bottom.

michaelcycle
    Free Member

It doesn’t feel like its actually 15km though, we all thought that.

And you have to cross a road or two, but perhaps you do on the 601 as well?

It crosses over tarmac about 4/5 times. Never along it. A road zigzags up the hill and the 601 cuts over it a few times. Very few know the last part that allows you to stay on singletrack all the way to the lakeside though.

thepodge
    Free Member

Tell me more about the Slovenian ones, I’m off there soon and wouldn’t mind a crack at them

uselesshippy
    Free Member

3750ft, down to the beach in Menton, near sospel is the longest I’ve done I think. 12.8 miles.
    Straight height loss, Madeira, 5000ft drop down too the beach, and a beer 😀

chrishc777
    Free Member

601 wins for awesomeness, steepness and gnarlinessness! Especially your secret bottom bit Michael, Fort Bill’s got nothing on that

superfli
    Free Member

Yes, please tell me of Mt Matajur in Slovenia. I’m staying near Tolmin for 2 weeks in July (family hol, but will sneak my HT out there!)

vickypea
    Free Member

Closer to home, there’s the Howgills, can’t believe no one has mentioned it yet.

nedrapier

slovenia – we drove over for a 2 week camping/biking/lolling holiday. 26in and 29in hardtails.

Mostly stayed in the Soca valley (pron: soatcha) Did a few nose-following rides either side of the river – either trialsy rocky singletrack or double track.

We spent 3 days learning how to kayak with Prijon sports in Bovec (pron. Boavets). It’s a stunningly beautiful river – you need to spend some time in it! Went from almost complete novices to learning a bunch of different strokes and covering decent stretches of the river including some class 3 rapids. If you want to go paddling, go with Prijon sports rather than any of the agencies in town.

We drove up Mangart (medium terrifying to drive, more tiring but probably less stressful to ride up!), beautiful weather, really peaceful found they had a room in the hut, so we booked in and watched the sunset and the stars come out.

Back to biking – There’s a guide book. We bought that.

Buy it. Can’t find it on the web, but it’s in the local shops. Turn to the page on Matajur. 40km outing.

Drive to Livek, that buys you 600m, climb, climb, climb, enjoy the views. Take plenty of food and water – we expected a hut at the top, but it wasn’t open. we took 2 water bottles – 500ml + 750ml, not enough for a hot all day ride!

Descent is almost all single track, a lot of it buff, skinny, swoopy and steep. Nothing exposed really, but quite a few spots where you could do yourself a mischief.

You’re left with a 9km road slog up from the bottom to get the car, but you can play scissors paper stone to send someone up for it, while the other/others enjoy a beer outside the bar.

There’s loads of other routes from Matajur, and in the book in general. that’s the only one we did from the book and it was incredible.

thepodge
    Free Member

We’re staying in Bovec so that’s all good to know. Thanks

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Mega avalanche?
    Col d’isran
    Col petit St Bernard?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Someone sold the Howgills to me as a 7 mile continuous descent. They lied.

andytherocketeer

For Bovec, there used to be a German guide book (that’s the one I have), that the tourist information shop in Kobarid also used to sell.
    No idea if it’s been translated to English yet.
    The river was very refreshing when we went for a post ride paddle. Ice melt water, so feet went numb.
    Have also ridden up from one of the camps up toward Krn. Was 37C that day, overdosed on cold drinks and water at the bottom, refilled 3l camelbaks, then was slurping the last dregs just as we got to the village where our B+B was.
    We did a mix of bits of the guide book, and nose following.

The 17km descent we did was off Pohorje mountain at Maribor, but probably bending the definition of “singletrack”. One chain lost due to being rattled free by washboard. Had a stop at about 8km to let brakes have a rest.

edit: and for roadies, the Vrsic pass (don’t know how to get the inverted chinese hat accents on those letters). 52 hairpins? and lots of height and distance. And smell of burning clutch, burning car brakes, and engines getting hot when it’s 37C.

teacake
    Free Member

This isn’t all singletrack but is beautiful, fast, fun and last for bloody ages.
    http://www.mountainbikeland.ch/en/routes/etappe-01563.html

We rode up from Airolo to 2250m (but there is a funicular) then descended to Olivone and on to Biasca. Long ride, loads of scenery and great fun.

I did a 90km constant downhill from 4700m in Tibet down to 1000m. That was FUUUUN!

ton

did a monster descent from sommet de la saulire at 2738m down to brides les bains at 600m
    was a bit of a brake boiler.

welshfarmer

3 cheeky singletrack descents in the Blacks of over 11 km (may involve some small uphill bits 🙂 ), longest at over 15km. Biggest drop is 650m. Great fun when dry and dusty

qwerty
    Free Member

A long time ago, so i may be wrong for “continuous” we descended from Col-Des-Gentianes below Mont Fort, Verbier to the valley floor, thats a big, long drop. Guided by BV, and may be rose tinted memory. Well pukka though!

chakaping
    Free Member

I have fond memories of an awesome descent at La Plagne (named Magic Carpet by Bikevillage), which went for 25km all the way to Moutiers.

It was a few years ago now, but I can only remember singletrack.

I’m sure some of you will know better.

The 23k Hautacam decent, an outstanding piece of natural single track

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘longest uninterrupted singletrack descent in Europe?’ is closed to new replies.