longest time you gone without having to replace a part on your bike?

Home Forum Bike Forum longest time you gone without having to replace a part on your bike?

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • longest time you gone without having to replace a part on your bike?
  • ski

Apart from sorting flats, what the longest you have managed to ride without having to change a thing on your bike?

Got a SS commuter that has sorted me for over a year now and just noted I have not changed a component for just over a year now.

Lets hear about your 1980’s builds still running the same rubber 😉

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

7 months riding in oz a lot, bike came home knackered but never spent a penny on it.

Well my dad claims his raleigh maverik has never needed maintenance.

My swift get’s the bare minimum, the brake pads are 2 years old! I treated to a new chain and sprocket at the start of the winter, and the pedals self destructed before christmas, but that’s been about it other than occasionaly tweaking the EBB for the last 2 years of failry intensive muddy use!

Premier Icon teamhurtmore
    Subscriber

At the moment – three rides max 🙁 Starting to rapidly lose interest.

duirdh

13 years! Ultegra (600) shod roadbike (it has had new tyres, certainly didn’t “need” them though. Same with one of my BMXs (bought the same year.
    Roadbike will need new brake cartridges soon (buddy rain!)

Premier Icon mikewsmith
    Subscriber

fair point about roadies, thats been going strong for 3 years till I mangled the tyre in heat vs turbo issues. 1st flat on it too. 250 quid not bad

I had to replace the inner ring. It’s now used as a bash guard, as it has no teeth.

gonzy

the bottom bracket on my hardtail is a square taper deore unit that’s about 10 years old, gets ridden every day but refuses to die…

DrP

Years on SS mountain and road (bar brake pads).

But I’m a bit anal about cleaning down the mtb post ride, and the road fixie has about 3 moving parts….

DrP

Premier Icon takisawa2
    Subscriber

My SIR.9 has gone a year now, with no replacements. Its rigid & SS running WI freewheel & CK bottom bracket, so pretty robust. Keep expecting the Elixir’s to fail but they are working well. BB7’s for it when they do.

Premier Icon garage-dweller
    Subscriber

Probably a year excluding brake pads but I subscribe to the school of running a drive train until its mullered and then changing the lot in one hit.

Premier Icon jobro
    Subscriber

1988 DOGS BOLX – still using original American Classic seatpost. Well actually its welded in and I can’t budge it!
    Did get 20years out of a Shimano deore rear mech on a Kona Explosif. Sold it with it on.

glupton1976

I’m not tempting fate.

Premier Icon cookeaa
    Subscriber

I’m sure when I was younger my bikes lasted an age without new components, I was probably lighter and more conscious of the fact that I had no money to replace anything I broke…
    The other thing is the difference between parts that the owner think “need replacing” and broken/worn out components which genuinely do need replacing.

My SS had gone for a shade over a year without any parts being changed, until the other day when I Swapped it’s front brake with another bikes (due to hose different lengths), I suppose that still counts though.

I would say the longest I’ve gone without replacing something on one bike or another in the last few years is a good 3 – 4 months, the longest time I’ve gone without genuinely needing to is probably more like 9-12 months, bike parts don’t actually break that often…

RAGGATIP

17 years and counting….handlebars, stem, brake calipers, crank arms rear derailleur (although probably needs replacing, frame (is a replacement I suppose but is about 16 years old, headset (came with the frame), one of the ergo shifters (the other is a replacement but is still 17 years old), front and rear hubs. Campagnolo Chorus is (was) great. I ride 125 mile commute all year round but I just have to service regularly. My mountain bike is only 6 years old.

I built my fixed was built up in 2002, using a 46tooth 165mm crank chainset from an old folding shopper from the parts bin, and my original 1984 look pedals (that are still sweet!)

I think I changed an inner tube and the bar tape 3 years ago! 😀

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘longest time you gone without having to replace a part on your bike?’ is closed to new replies.

Comments are closed, but trackbacks are open.

Skip to top