Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Longest stem you'd use with wide bars
  • qtip

I’m currently running a 50mm stem with 785mm bars. While I love the handling, I’m getting quite a bit of mid/lower back pain, even on short rides. I’m thinking that one potential cause for this could be that my bike is a little short for me (18″ 2010 Orange 5 – I’m 6′ 0″), so without the funds for a new frame I’m wondering whether running a slightly longer stem might help.

Would 70mm with 785mm bars be too barge-like?

Any other suggestions for relieving the back pain? Maybe higher-rise bars?

Stevet1
    Free Member

I don’t think a short stem causes lower back pain per se but I’ve found that with shorter stems its better to go higher otherwise you just end up hunched over.

TooTall
    Free Member

Any other suggestions for relieving the back pain?

How about stretching and core strengthening and non-cycling exercise?

scottfitz
    Free Member

How about stretching

Before every ride.

qtip

Any stretches in particular?

Best core exercises?

Stevet1
    Free Member

Cor look at them 40mm riser bars I’ll be having some of them.

ahwiles
    Free Member

just my opinion, but…

50mm stem, on an 18″ bike ridden by a 6footer does sound a bit cramped.

i’m wrong of course, and you should definitely be on a 14″ frame, probably with a 35mm stem, as we all know smaller bikes handle better.

why not just try a 70/80mm stem? – what’s the worst that can happen?

TooTall
    Free Member

Before every ride.

Probably better to do it in between.

How are your hamstrings? A bit tight? Just sit on the floor in front of the telly with your legs out in front of you. Bring one leg up so your foot is on it’s side by the other knee. Keep the straight leg flat on the floor and run both hands down that leg as far as you can go. Hold it for 5-10 seconds, then push a little further down. Repeat a couple of times on each leg, do that most evenings. See how you feel after a week.
    Cyclists suffer with short hamstrings and that can manifest itself as tension in your lower back. This stretch will do nothing but improve your flexibility. It works for me.

scottfitz
    Free Member

Try out some of these and see if any work for you.
    http://www.spineuniverse.com/conditions/back-pain/back-pain-stretching-exercises

Best core exercises?

These are a good start:
    http://uk.askmen.com/top_10/fitness_top_ten/53b_fitness_list.html

qtip

Thanks for the tips. Will give the stretching and core exercises a go. Can only be a good thing to do anyway.

devash
    Free Member

Try a 70 stem. I have a friend who is 5ft 9″ on a 17″ Orange 5 (same ETT length at the 18) and he rides with a 70mm stem. I’d have thought that you’d be a bit too hunched up for any sort of extended riding / climbing with a 50mm stem and 605mm ETT.

PeteD

If you want a 70mm Hope stem in excellent condition – mail me! I’m only little and swapped my 70mm for a 35mm when I went for wide bars…

JCL
    Free Member

40mm

daveh
    Free Member

I used 70mm on 785mm bars for a while, no problems.

nickdavies

I’ve got a 70mm on 780’s and a 100mm on 740’s no problems. 6’2.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Longest stem you'd use with wide bars’ is closed to new replies.