Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)
  • Longest shot ever – any Unimog owners on here?
  • dannybgoode

I’ve always wanted one. Don’t know why, entirely impractical but look so much fun to own.

Am possibly in a position to afford one soon so does any one on here have one. If so any buying / owning tips?

z1ppy

There a couple of old threads, maybe drag though them for other enthusiasts on here?
    Thread 1
    thread 2

dannybgoode

Thanks Z1ppy. Will have a trawl through…

jam-bo

a tree surgeon mate has one for his business. You’d better have really deep pockets if you really want one…

dannybgoode

I’m thinking of a classic 60’s / 70’s one. Initial outlay isn’t terrifying but I’d imagine running costs would be high.

Wouldn’t be a daily driver though…

Andy-R

That one up there ^^^^^ with the Hiab is probably 1970 ish. A very nice example though but only worth having IMHO if you have a real use for it, otherwise it’s a bit like owning a nice tractor but having nowhere you can do a bit of ploughing….

jam-bo

see that great big tree on the trailer…. 😉

thestabiliser
    Free Member

F-inLaw had one for his business – awesome. But unless you’ve got a use for it it’s going to get “old” pretty quick. Fella at the bottom of the street got a really really old one, it did some standing about, got taken to bits, got some bits put back together then covered in a tarp, then disappeared.

Andy-R

jam bo – Member
    see that great big tree on the trailer….

Exactly!

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Like the front wheel cup holder btw.

twinw4ll
    Free Member

I used to own a SUMB, Simca Unic Marmon Boquet for short, have a look on milweb, they now do a diesel version which probably doesn’ munch your cash away quite as fast. A good cheaper alternative to a mog.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

There’s a guy in wokingham who drives an Ex (French*) military truck. Saw him on Valentines day in Tesco buying a ready meal for 1. That’s all I’m saying.

*think it’s a renault, hence French, but haven’t seen if for a while

Klunk
    Free Member
    Klunk
    Free Member
    Klunk
    Free Member
    T1000
    Free Member

instead howabout a haflinger (by the same folk who used to make the Pinzgauer)

aP
    Free Member

Aren’t unimogs able to be driven on a tractor licence, hence why mid-Wales school children get bought them?

chrissyharding
    Free Member

One here on well known auction site.
    Needs a bit of tcut here an there.

Sundayjumper

I’d imagine they’re utterly hateful to drive, unless being used for a real purpose (e.g. jambo’s mate), or at a pay & play site for fun. Everything else, rubbish.

dannybgoode

Thanks all

Interesting stuff. No I have no use for one at all and have just bought (as in right now in my lunch hour) a Honda Civic Type R GT so will mull it over.

Seen a few interesting camper van conversions and thought one might be fun just for tooling around in…

somouk
    Free Member

The guys from HQAC Armourlite have a unimog that they have some tanks on to deliver gas to paintball events out in the wilds.

Great bit of kit but I think they have spent a lot of time and money restoring it and then running it. Not for the faint hearted.

Gary_M
    Free Member

Honda Civic will be rubbish as a camper

shermer75
    Free Member

Some hot Unimog action here:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INxkz6UcNoE[/video]

ampthill

“Hot Unimog Action”

I wonder if I could make some cash using that as a premium rate number idea

I’m sure I could talk dirty about portal axles and transfer boxes

chrissyharding
    Free Member

Portal Rover in muir of Ord, sticks portal axles on defenders.
    Done some for movies. The expendable I think.

CountZero

I’d love one, given the appropriate funds, with an expedition back on it, to really get out into remote areas and get away with it.
    Of course a small 4×4 and a tent would be much cheaper, but once into your 60’s, a few creature comforts becomes ever more important!

jam-bo

you mean like this?

i was very envious having cycled there and sleeping in a very small tent..

project
    Free Member

Theres a farmer up in north wales, old chap ,lives at the top of a steep hill, and his farm is littered with old tractors and unimogs, all rusting but one still works he uses to get supplies in.

i want put his location on here as he lives alone, and doesnt like strangers sometimes.

slimjim78
    Free Member

Please get one.
    And please can I come over for a go?

wzzzz
    Free Member

These guys are the experts:

http://unimogs.co.uk/unimogsforsale.asp

scuttler

Looking at that Unimogs for Sale website it looks like their options list beats Audi/BMW hands down – cranes, snow blowers, tipper-chippers, four-wheel steer, soundproofing, central tyre inflation, roof rack.

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Do it, do it. I’ve always wanted one.

I’ve always wondered what happens if a Unimog gets stuck though; a skycrane I guess.

dannybgoode

Simple – a Unimog doesn’t get stuck 🙂

Be something a bit different to do the school run in though wouldn’t it?

flap_jack
    Free Member

There’s a guy at work has just got one…

obelix
    Free Member

Saw a movie clip with a stuck Unimog a couple months back.

Was stuck in the wet/snady bank of a river. They drove one of the new 8X8 military trucks up to it to free it, and still couldn’t get it out. Pretty soundly stuck I’d say!

obelix
    Free Member

Found it:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzxGTj7E9bg[/video]

Got it out in the end, but goes to show you’ll even get a tank stuck if you try hard enough

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

I’ve just wasted an hour watching Unimogs and other off roading videos.

The 8×8 did get it out in the end. Testament to the Unimog it didn’t leave its axles behind.

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HzxGTj7E9bg[/video]

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I was just beaten to the ex military one with the insulated radio cab.

A neighbour offered to go halves on a newer agricultural spec ‘mog. At ten grand it still needed work to get it up to scratch. We’d both have a legitimate use for one but for all the mileage I’d need it for it just didn’t make sense. I’ve yet to get stuck n the mud with my rattly old 300tdi Discovery. I’d sooner spend the savings on some bike tours.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 40 total)

The topic ‘Longest shot ever – any Unimog owners on here?’ is closed to new replies.