Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Longest fork on a 2004 Enduro?
  • epicsteve
    Free Member

I'm currently running my recently purchased 2004 S-Works Enduro with a set of 80-125mm Talas – mainly 'cause I already had them. They seem fine on it however I'm tempted to try it with something longer and preferably coil instead of air (I'm running a coil shock on it at the moment). It's also likely to be getting a BETD link on the back at some point, upping the travel to 6".

Anyone got any particular recommendations? Is 140/150mm on the front going to make it cr@p to ride or break the frame?

spence
    Free Member

When the frame was new there was an orange sticker on the top tube saying max fork length to use is 125mm. Never tried anything longer but sure others have……………………..

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im running '08 Float RLCs with 140mm travel on my '04 enduro pro, im pretty sure they are the max travel allowed for the frame.

mikey74
    Free Member

I definitely remember my 2004 S-Works Enduro saying max. fork travel was 125mm.

DavidM
    Free Member

Got Marzocchi All Mountains which I think are 140mm on the front of my '04 Sworks. Supposed to be a tall fork for the travel aswell. Still has the normal 5' link at the back. Use it all the time and love it, allthough I had the AM's on a rockhopper before i got the enduro frame, so I am used to boat like handling.

No orange sticker, and the frame hasn't snapped yet…

AlasdairMc

Steve,

I run Pikes on mine – feel free to try it out sometime, I live local to you (PM me on mtbscotland for my details).

al

pitduck
    Free Member

i`ve got 36 talas on mine and have had for 2 years no problem 8)

MrCrushrider
    Free Member

yep – max was definately 125mm

baldSpot
    Free Member

Read on the Specialized website (whilst researching something else) that they allow about 10% decrease or increase on travel size for non OEM forks. Anymore than that and the frame guarantee is void.

mikey74
    Free Member

But surely if it is a second hand frame the warranty is void anyway.

I had Pikes on mine (and a coil shock) and it was okay but I just decided I was trying to turn it into something it wasn't meant to be, so I sold it.

stuartlangwilson
    Free Member

Aye, no warranty to worry about.

I had pikes on mine, it really made the bike more versatile. Slackening the h/a and raising the bb slightly really worked for that frame.

baldSpot
    Free Member

don't call me surely 🙂 (yes you're right)

epicsteve
    Free Member

Thanks. I'm not worried about warranty and I'm not too worried about break it either – more how it'd handle.

Sounds like 140mm is probably a sensible maximum.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Fox 36 Talas 150mm fine
    Marz AM1 Bombers 150mm (long Legs too) fine
    Fox Float RLC 130mm Fine
    Pikes 140mm Fine.

Ridden the bike in the alps all over the uk with these outrageous forks on it and all was fine. Sticker saying 125mm max hasnt fallen off yet.

Flip the link to the steep setting though to retain the feel.

Toyed with the idea of the 6" plate but just got a heckler instead.

geetee1972
    Free Member

Just out of interest what kind of coil damper are you running? I used to own a 2004 S-Works Enduro that I sold on, with a coil damper. Wonder how many there are running around these days. Never know it might be the one I used to own!
    Pictures perhaps?

pitduck
    Free Member

hi got a vanilla r, on the back of mine many times better then stock 😀

what i2i and stroke is the rear shoke on the 04 enduro? Spesh website down at the mo.

PJM1974
    Free Member

The maximum warrantied fork travel for an 02-04 Enduro is 130mm. Spesh retrospectively revised this because of the scarcity of 125mm forks around apart from OEM units.

I've run mine with Pikes, which made the bike feel extremely well balanced and stable, if a little tall at the front but nothing sensible stem sizing couldn't resolve.

The back end of the Enduro is 132mm travel according to the graphic on the side of the frame. I've run a stock Float and a Romic Coil with a custom eye to eye length and latterly a PUSHed Float.

The PUSHed shock is excellent and worth budgeting for, but the Romic is very good indeed provided you get the spring rate right.

It's inspiring me to build my old Enduro up again… The frame is sat out in the garage.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Rear shock sizing is 7.625" x 2.0" (193.67 x 50.8mm) IIRC its a custom Eye to eye length.

squin
    Free Member

For those of you who own a 2004 Enduro, can you tell me please, does the head angle become more steep or slack when you change the rear travel from 4-5 inches? Toying with the idea of getting a sh one.

pitduck
    Free Member

Squin head angle does`nt change at all unless you flip the shock link. Bigyin shock i2i is 7.765"(197mm)and stroke is 1.875"(47.6mm) 🙄

epicsteve
    Free Member

Just out of interest what kind of coil damper are you running?

It's just a basic Vanilla R with Propedal that I bought 2nd hand from the classifieds. It's a 200×51 but seems to work well. I've got a 190×51 RP2 as well.

I used to own a 2004 S-Works Enduro that I sold on, with a coil damper. Wonder how many there are running around these days. Never know it might be the one I used to own!
    Pictures perhaps?

This is it in it's current spec (80-125 Talas, Vanilla R shock):

epicsteve
    Free Member

what i2i and stroke is the rear shoke on the 04 enduro?

Original was 195×50 but I've run mine with both 200×50 and 190×50 and it's good with either.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Longest fork on a 2004 Enduro?’ is closed to new replies.