Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)
  • Longest Descent
  • Dales_rider
    Free Member

High street is a long descent towards Pooley Bridge, not saying its the longest.

BTW Cragg Vale isnt the longest road climb in England.

jonba
    Free Member

I’ve heard people say Cross Fell is the longest. It certainly is long.

I think Great Dunn Fell is the longest road climb – comes in at just over 600m vertical if I remember. Next to Cross fell, you can ride up the road and down the bridleway.

grum
    Free Member

Climachx has the longest purpose built singletrack descent in Wales I think.

BTW Cragg Vale isnt the longest road climb in England.

It’s the longest continuous road climb in England.

Also, some people seem to be confusing longest with most vertical metres of descent.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Grum I think you will find you are wrong,

Looking down the longest

Looking up, dont be fooled that is not a dip

grum
    Free Member

Where’s that then? And that might not be a dip but it looks pretty flat so not continuously ascending. 😉

There’s a sign at the bottom of Cragg Vale making the claim I believe.

ampthill

I can’t really see Consett to Sunderland counting. Unless we’e introducing kite biking

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Unless the sign at the bottom of Cragg Vale and all the blurb on the internet is wrong, Cragg Vale is the longest (not highest) continuous road ascent/descent in England.

Dales_rider
    Free Member

Grum technical I suppose that as a road climb Cragg vale is the longest as the one to the top of Cross Fell is a Bridleway which has been tarmacked to allow access to the air traffic control stuff on the top.

Cross Fell is probably the only Cat 1 climb in the UK.

Edit:- great Dun Fell 😳

bajsyckel

The road to the radar station on Great Dun Fell [edit – not Cross Fell Dales rider] is the biggest vertical drop on tarmac IIRC, it’s not a public road but is a bridleway, and there are longer descents with less vertical drop. A good climb, but Cat1? I dunno about that.

Viewing 9 posts - 41 through 49 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Longest Descent’ is closed to new replies.