Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)
  • Longest Descent
  • trekstar
    Free Member

What is the the longest descent in the UK?

Duane…
    Free Member

Official MTB singletrack descent – Golspie as far as I know (and it’s amazing)

anagallis_arvensis

No idea but I would guess top of Siddaw to Keswick is longest in England.

messiah
    Free Member

Duh… top of Ben Nevis to the sea.

Oh no, wait… that would be most vertical height lost. Duh indeed!

psling
    Free Member

May be the greatest height loss messiah but not necessarily the longest descent. (probably is though 😉 )

Aha, nice edit 😆

househusband
    Free Member

I thought these two descents I did last year were rather long…

Gilles

Snowdon?

psling
    Free Member

Probably the same as the longest ascent but done in reverse. Isn’t that somewhere in West Scotland (or am I thinking of longest continuous road climb/descent)

tomd
    Free Member

I guess you’re thinking of the Bealach na Ba in Applecross, it’s the longest road climb / ascent in the UK, 650m odd.

househusband
    Free Member

Torridon.

seadog101

Can I Put a caveat on this:

Longest unbroken descent in distance – ie no gates, no pedaling. no tarmac… ?

Bregante

Isn’t Cragg Vale the longest continuous road ascent/descent?

lemonysam
    Free Member

Right to roam, careful contouring and a cliff free hill and the limit approaches infinity.

More helpfully it’s probably something fairly rubbish from a mountain biking perspective like 50km continuously descending railway path somewhere.

Stoner
    Free Member

I thought it was doethie valley.

rickt
    Free Member

Cragg Vale the longest continuous road ascent/desent in England,968 feet over 5.5 miles.

athgray
    Free Member

Hartside to Melmerby is a fairly long road descent.

Northwind

Golspie still claims the longest trail centre descent, though there is a little pedalling. Other than crossing the forest roads it’s uninterrupted singletrack for 7km.

tymbian
    Free Member

@ lemonysam,

I cycled the towpath from kings Sutton to lower Heyford. 10 miles in distance with an ascent of 8 meters… 😀

br
    Free Member

Longest unbroken descent in distance – ie no gates, no pedaling. no tarmac… ?

Top of the Devils Staircase into Kinlochleven is a good one – about 5 miles and 1800ft drop.

Northwind

How are you doing the final descent there, ciaran path? Doesn’t quite qualify as “no pedalling” that one! Ace, but rather climby for a descent.

oliverd1981
    Free Member

I reckon with a couple of gate mokeys you could coast from Consett to Sunderland with a decent tailwind.

Russell96

Drum Mountain 770m above Conwy down to the sea and yes you can see it from the top.

rickon
    Free Member

Carn Ban Mor is a pretty decent descent, 5km long and 800m odd of descent. It does have a 2.5 mile long, steep fireroad climb beforehand. But it’s bloody worth it.

Even though it’s been sanitized.

Also, the Descent from the Ben Damfh ride in Torridon, that is far better than the Golspie descent, and seems a lot longer too…

radoggair
    Free Member

beeftubs from moffat has 6.4 mile descent one way and ( 3 slight rises and 1 about 800m long) 11.7 mile descent the other way from top of pass. Road descent though although it runs in the hills with plenty of farm paths running beside it so maybe a long descent beside it

scotroutes

Loch Einich to Coylumbridge must have about 8km of constant descent? There are loads of others in that sort of category.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

http://app.strava.com/activities/49837348
    One of our Tassie ones 16.2km with only 200m up over the length of it 🙂

timmys

I thought the Climach-X trail claimed to be the longest trail centre descent? Maybe it was longest in Wales.

martinxyz
    Free Member

I made a segment from Loch Einich on sunday, Colin. It’s not quite finishing up at Coylumbridge and it shows 10.8km (Arctic Char Chase)

Still quite a bit of flat here and there through the ride with the odd bit of climbing.

scotroutes

Cool. I know there’s a climb right away out of the loch but I wasn’t remembering much after that. You obviously survived danger corner 🙂

theblackmount
    Free Member

Macdui>Derry Lodge c. 12k

Macdui>Linn O’ Dee c. 18k (might be the odd metre of climbing here and there after Derry Lodge)

Devils Staircase, “Torridon,” Carn Ban More etc are nowhere near this.

Quite a few in Scotland in the high teens.

scotroutes

There’s actually a fair bit of climbing back to Linn o’ Dee.

theblackmount
    Free Member

Yeah… all of 26m over 5km 😉

Agreed though it’s not technically all descent from Derry

lemonysam
    Free Member

Consett to Sunderland isn’t a bad shout though I’m sure I remember a few climbs on it. Alternatively how about the reverse of this, 36.6 km of almost entirely continuous descent. Almost all of it offroad.

http://app.strava.com/segments/4227883

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Going back over Strava…

Got a 6km in the lakes with under 50m of up in *************
    and another that will be about 8km I reckon with under 30m on it off *********

🙂

messiah
    Free Member

By the power of Strava… one of my favourites is 2200ft (670m) of vertical height loss in 2.9 miles which takes about 20 mins, and another recent big one was 1700ft (520m) in 1.7 miles which was over in 12 mins.

gofasterstripes
    Free Member

OT I know but the last thing I rode in my big was 2000M>Sea in 2 hours down a winding road off Gunung Batur in Bali.

Sadly my Ex didn’t want to go over 20mph down it, but it was rather relaxing!

RoganJosh
    Free Member

Depends how fast you ride it doesn’t it?

banks
    Free Member

Drum mountain or high cup nick dh?

SprocketJockey
    Free Member

I may be imagining it but wasn’t there an article in the mag a while back about a route in the Cambrians which was supposed to include one of the longest singletrack descents in England & Wales?

theblackmount
    Free Member

>36.6 km of almost entirely continuous descent. Almost all of it offroad.<

That’s two “almosts” in there. Two strikes and you’re out 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 49 total)

The topic ‘Longest Descent’ is closed to new replies.