Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Longer distance MTB events
  • tpbiker
    Free Member

I’ve in the process of trying to get fit for next year, but need a goal

one of them will be to enter a few races. I’ve done a few team endurance events like ten under the ben and GT 7 which I’ve done ok in, and may give the later a go solo next year. Is there anything else in scotland thats similar, i’m thinking along the lines of these mtb marathon races i hear about, or perhaps even a stage race? Based in scotland, so ideally dont want to travel to other end of uk.

I’m not so keen on the idea of short distance xc events, prefer something more suited to my grinding style, rather than flat out speed (of which i have none). Likwise whilst I can get down most stuff, I’m not great at decending so aiming for more xc than enduro.

It goes without saying I’m pretty rubbish compared to the race whippets but not a complete snail (usually come just in top 3rd at ten under ben for example). Main thing is I’m looking to enjoy myself and have a fun day out on the bike.

dirtyrider
    Free Member

Dirty Reiver?
    Kielder 101

tpbiker
    Free Member

are they gravel events?

Not nesecarily ruling them out, I have a gravel bike!

I’m just a bit wary that the ability level is not far and above my own, ie serious roadie types (nothing against roadies, other than how fast they are!)

Every event I’ve ever entered there appears to be a 3rd of the field who are seriously fast, then everyone else…I’m keen for a similar mix..

edit – the riever is in December..bit early for me..I’ve barely been on the bike all year

Clink

Manx 100

chored
    Free Member

I’m a similar rider to your description and have soloed ten under once and GT7 a few times, both should be do-able from your description of your riding.

Other events I’ve entered:

Strathpuffer as a quad/pair
    Selkirk MTB Marathon (although the date is usually close to the GT7)

If you’re based near the Central Belt, http://www.smbo.org.uk/ might be worth a look, 3 hour events, do as much as you can in the time. Ridden a few of these and have always had a good time.

tpbiker
    Free Member

selkirk marathon is definitely under consideration, exactly what I’m looking for

jako

I am looking to do a few too. I am currently trying to decide between events like the ones above or the typical 6 / 12 hour type events on a circuit basis.

Looks like we may need to start a 2018 XC racing thread soon.

chored
    Free Member

I’ve never done it, but is Tour de Ben Nevis similar? Run by the same people as Ten Under the Ben.

tourismo

Selkirk mtb marathon is a great event. 10@Kirroughtree is also a favourite of mine.

harvey
    Free Member

‘da cooley thriller’ is a brilliant xc race. 52 km circuit of the cooley mountains in dundalk, ireland. great single track, open mountain etc

scotroutes

Have you ruled out things like the Capital Trail, Cairngorms Loops, GT24? Maybe longer than you’re thinking of but someone always wants to turn them into a race.

tpbiker
    Free Member

GT 24?

I’ve always wanted to give the puffer a go, but would want to do it as a pair the first time. Plus not sure i could persuad anyone to either ride or pit for me.

Got a good few suggestions there however, selkirk looks ace, as does tour of ben nevis if it goes ahead.

Also fitting in an alps trip, and plan to tackle alp d huez in under an hour…which has been a goal for some time.

welshfarmer

Any good with a map? Even if not then you should maybe have a go at MTB orienteering. Check out the BMBO website to see if there is anything in your local area

http://www.bmbo.org.uk/

postierich
    Free Member

SouthLakes #jennride 100 miles of sublime trails race it ride it pub crawl it round. 11th12th of May 2018
    some people do it in 11 hours some take 2 days

CraigW
    Free Member

Not a race, but there’s a few off road audaxes, could be interesting. Think there’s a 50k in East Lothian.
    Or 100 miles in North Yorkshire. https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=105147.0

AlasdairMc

GT24 is Glasgow to Inverness (or vice versa in 2018) via the West Highland Way and Great Glen Way. 24hrs is the aspiration, I managed 31. It’s brutal

seadog101

Hamsterley Beast has got a 66.6 mile option for next year (May). I don’t think it will be anything like ‘a doddle’.

fooman

Yorkshire True Grit 60 mile was good, planning on doing it again

thenorthwind

If you’re willing to cross the border (just) High Fell Events have some really well run endurance old school XC type events. This year’s Breamish Behemoth is at the end of October which I think has a short route option if you want a taster. There’s a Kielder event over the winter (12/24hr I think), then the Clennell Colossus next year, May time I think.

whitestone
    Free Member

You offering the Lakeland 200 option again this year Rich? With a two week gap to the HT it might be a goer 😉 though I did mention bimbling round the 100 on the fat bike next time!

scud
    Free Member

Charlie the Bikemongers 100 mile Dorset Gravel Dash is a big day out and some real off road on it despite title.

Dirty Reiver was good too

neilsonwheels
    Free Member
Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Longer distance MTB events’ is closed to new replies.