Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Long weekend walking in Scotland with great booze – recommendations please
  • Jezkidd
    Free Member

So rather than going on a ‘standard’ beer and strippers stag do I’m planning to have a long weekend walking, probably somewhere picturesque in Scotland.

What I’m looking for is great walking, good food (happy to push the boat out here) and great booze, ideally wine and whisky.

I’m thinking that planning a trip to take in a couple of distilleries on the way might be a good idea?

What does the oracle recommend?

peterfile
    Free Member

Knoydart.

Mind will be blown 🙂

Could be too much emphasis on the walking though. Torridon/Assynt is another good bet, with more accommodation options, but with equally incredible scenery. Food/booze suggestions are a thread in themselves! Applecross Inn is a personal favourite.

jamiea
    Free Member

Plenty of really good distilleries in Speyside (Glenfarclas were very generous with the samples on a wet February lunchtime!). Staying in Grantown and driving to the Cairngorms could work. Cairngorm Brewery beers are top notch.

Cheers,
    Jamie

br
    Free Member

Where you driving from?

duckman

Moulin brewery bunkhouse. Brew their own ale on site,food pretty tooting good as well. within easy access for most outdoor things (we white watered one day,it was ace)

http://www.moulininn.co.uk/accommodation/

user-removed
    Free Member

I had my stag do in Kinloch Rannoch – tiny village near Pitlochry. Lots of good walking, proper tatty pub, hotel or two, greasy spoon caf. There’s also an adventure activity outfit if you wanted quads and shotguns.

kcal

my stag do was at Clachaig Inn, Glencoe, spot of Munro bagging on the day, retire to pub/accommodation/eatery in the evening. Suffered a bit from altitude I seem to recall (or rather, I don’t recall at all).

Bit of a low level ramble the next day to blow away cobwebs..

robbespierre
    Free Member

I believe that there are a couple of good hotels in Ballachullish area that do very good food and booze. Forgotten the names sorry. This is only 10 mins from Glencoe and 20mins from Fort William.
    Brilliant for walking and not too remote if the weather’s honking.

I’m also personally quite fond of Aviemore now, which is much improved recently. Great steaks in the Skiing Doo.
    Ace location for a trip to Speyside for some whisky tasting.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Long weekend walking in Scotland with great booze – recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.