Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Long weekend in Tuscany – on a budget?
  • Duane…
    Free Member

Hi all,

I’m going to be in Rome for a couple weeks later this month with my girlfriend, and we’d like to see a bit of Tuscany. We will be free from the Friday morning (or Thursday night), to the Sunday evening, so 2 or 3 nights, and 3 days.

We are on a pretty tight budget, so looking to spend no more than €300 each, for everything (getting there, accommodation, food, drink etc). Happy to stay in hostels (private room), although staying in a wine yard would be ideal.

We’d like to do some wine tasting (of course), maybe eat some nice food (happy to cook most meals to save money), wander around etc. Not too fussed about cities, would rather be out in the sticks a bit.

So, any thoughts?

One idea is hire a car and drive down there (potentially a little more expensive than public transport, especially as we are under 25, but gives us freedom, aren’t stuck with expensive tour groups, although driver can’t drink too much during the day!). Stay in a hostel/B&B somewhere rural, either do a day tour or drive around vine yards ourselves one day, then do a cooking course or more wandering the next day.

Will we miss out on much if we don’t go on an organised tour? I’d have thought the vineyards them selves will have tours so we can just go to them direct?

Are there any beaches in the area worth visiting? Would rather not venture too far north (Cinque Terre etc) if we’re driving.

Any thoughts would be great 🙂

Ta,
    Duane.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Romes like 3 hours from toscana. Seems a waste of a long weekend doing both mate.

aphex_2k
    Free Member

Italian beaches: look for public access as the ones with umbrellas on are usually booked for the season.

Duane…
    Free Member

Just to clarify, I will be in Rome for 2 weeks, so want to take a weekend out and see a bit of Tuscany.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hmmm.. train to Florence or Pisa or Sienna, there are travel lodges and such there (might be tough to book late on but look now) Ibis etc too..
    If Flo’ then book Ufitzi tickets BEFORE you go available online..
    Don’t eat in any large open Sq/Piazza but seek out down the small intersecting lanes on the Sth side of the Arno.
    Do seek out Churches.
    Do seek out open free gardens (lots in Flo’)
    Some museums are free, some expect donations (small normally)

You could just about do Flo’ for a couple for a couple of days on what you’ve got.
    If Sienna think about all the free Sq’s and town rampart walks, hop over the walls to the more “industrial” parts to eat..

HTH

RoterStern
    Free Member

Just come back from a few days in Tuscanny. We camped in Vada which is a small town on the coast near Livorno and Pisa. If you don’t want to do the big city thing (Florence is pretty expensive if you want to do touristy things there)then this coastal area is pretty nice and has plenty of that Tuscan flair. Pisa is worth a visit and you can certainly see everything on a budget as I think some of the attractions are free to get in.

Frankenstein
    Free Member

Drive from Rome to Florence via Tuscsny scenic route.

We stayed in random villages with hotels/guest houses that were amazing but ate out.

A weekend isn’t too bad.

You can do it but depends on your aim.

I went for the art, culture, food and romance.

It costs a bit more if you really want to enjoy yourself.

Maybe 450 ea?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Long weekend in Tuscany – on a budget?’ is closed to new replies.