• This topic has 99 replies, 46 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)
  • Long travel hardtails- advice
  • hora
    Free Member

I rode my Chameleon yesterday. Ti456? It marked bloody easily- one off and it was covered in scratches and grazed down one side. I’m very hamfisted with frames hence I dont want to spend £900 again on one.

Evil and Alpine, yes maybe I didnt ride them more first.

hora
    Free Member

Summer season? It err went back to its maker..

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Although I don’t have the cash at the moment, my next hardtail will be 853 from these guys.

Curtis Bikes

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    GW
    Free Member

having ridden a sovereign, alpine, chameleon & cotic I can honestly say I think they all ride better with a 100mm fork (and short stem).
    if yer feet aren’t so sore you have to pull over for a break you’re not pushing a 100mm forked hardtail hard enough to actually warrant running a longer travel fork.

all IMO of course 😉

richc
    Free Member

Hora when are you going to learn you can’t buy ability/skills, you just have to actually ride more to get better.

hora
    Free Member

Richc, I rode offroad yesterday afternoon in Calderdale and rode in this morning to work. 😕

My ‘problem’ isnt skills based its a mental fear problem that arises every so often.

GW- thats why I get sodding cramp around the front/underneath my feet then! I was wondering if my shoes were getting old.

richc
    Free Member

My ‘problem’ isnt skills based its a mental fear problem

mental fear problem that you have owned your bike for more than 2 weeks?

GW
    Free Member

I’m on about pain from the pummelling your feet get from the terrain not cramp. 🙄

cramp is more likely down to you being too tense (scared) and de-hydration.

hora
    Free Member

Inbetween soles of feet/balls of. down the middle.

richc- give it a rest mate.

Spey-Stout
    Free Member

what was up with the summer season?

richc
    Free Member

15 days old, more than likely 😉

hora
    Free Member

Broken sadly.

Spey-Stout
    Free Member

how’d it break?

MrAgreeable

if yer feet aren’t so sore you have to pull over for a break you’re not pushing a 100mm forked hardtail hard enough to actually warrant running a longer travel fork.

How does that work then? Do you steer with your feet?

GW
    Free Member

yes, don’t you?

richc
    Free Member

GW earlier

devs
    Free Member

Good going to break a summer season. Mine’s handling everything my 17st can throw at it.

MrAgreeable

yes, don’t you?

Not usually, it makes it kind of hard to pedal.

richc
    Free Member

I think he broke it building it up devs, not riding it. Are you banned from buying on-one frames as well Hora? or is it just DialledBikes frames.

Jamie
    Free Member

Mr Agreeable:

How does that work then? Do you steer with your feet?

Counter-steering innit!

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Haven’t seen a “what bike thread” from thora for a while.

For those of you that have forgotten I think you’ll soon find that offering advice is entirely pointless. Everyone’s advice will be irrelevant and largely ignored. A bunch of people will throw abuse at him because he’s doing it all over again (and it’s standard to abuse thora). He’ll buy something, wax lyrical about it briefly, sell it and then buy something else.

I thought the Blur 4x or whatever was supposed to be the last-bike-bees-knees-never-swap purchase?

Thora’s affliction is like some sort of weird MTB related Munchausen syndrome.

MrAgreeable

Is this a good time to exhume this? 😉

Submitted by hora horacek a Weekend Warrior from London, UK
    Date Reviewed: November 20, 2003
    Favorite Trail: Gnarly singletrack
    Duration Product Used: Less than 1 month
    Price Paid: $600.00
    Purchased At: Freeborn
    Strengths: Light.
    Gorgeous.
    Strong.
    No Flex.
    Weaknesses: Only two colours.
    Similar Products Used: Ellsworth Id, Yeti ASX, Rocky Mountain; RM9, Vertex, Instinct plus Giant DH etc etc
    Bike Setup: Sherman Firefly, Chris King hubs and headset, Thomson Elite, Raceface etc etc
    Bottom Line: I wanted something for trail, yes trail that would be very responsive and easy to bail out of (I have a habit of bailing out over the bars as the rear always tends to be too high). Im 6foot 2 and this fits the bill.

How the chuffin ‘ell did Tony get the frame so light yet guarantee it to be soo strong?

First ride out I almost spanked one out over the top tube, such was the grin across my face. Remember the grin? Whens the last time a bike made you grin?

MrSmith
    Free Member

He’ll buy something, wax lyrical about it briefly, sell it and then buy something else.

you missed the arse licking and chumminess with the designer/importer/fellow owners that goes with it.

are brodie bikes(chumba) still on your christmas card list hora?
    do you return their emails?

hora
    Free Member

How do you break a bike building it? If you know how to do that then your a genius.

November 20, 2003

I was back on the bike that quick?!!!!
    I broke my arm clean/shoulder, rib and was kept in hospital on Sept 13th 2003.

Thora’s affliction is like some sort of weird MTB related Munchausen syndrome.

Yeah- cos every single STW/CF member buys one frame, rides the said-only frame for a couple of years min yeah? High-horse?

Bumhands
    Free Member

How about you pack up mountain biking and take up a
    new hobby that won’t give you a ‘mental fear’ problem.

hora
    Free Member

are brodie bikes(chumba) still on your christmas card list hora?
    do you return their emails?

Care to elaborate?

MrSmith
    Free Member

meaning once you have sold a bike the plaudits and comments stop. i wasn’t suggesting you have a christmas card list of u.k bike importers (you should be on theirs though!) or that you email them constantly, i was just using that to help explain the tragi-comedy of your bike buying.

Cheeky-Monkey
    Free Member

Yeah- cos every single STW/CF member buys one frame, rides the said-only frame for a couple of years min yeah? High-horse?

LOL, you bloody drama queen. CF was better whenever you started this nonsense. You could call a spade a spade, although the word wasn’t actually “spade” 😉

hora
    Free Member

As said earlier on, I’ll take it on the chin. The good thing is, Im actually riding frequently now.

I like shiny things 8)

richc
    Free Member

Oldie but goldie

Hora on Wikipedia

Hora

Hora (Hoarcek) is an unpopular figure amongst internet users who frequent certain mountain bike websites. Hora has been known to have bowel control problems which have embarrassed him at least once in public. Hora has left a fellow rider with concussion in the woods with people who didn’t know the best way home because he had something better to do. Hora will buy a bike, sell it claiming to have discovered something else that suits his style of riding, sell that, then buy back the original bike that he upgraded from for an inflated price. Hora is also a serial fake reviewer on sites such as http://www.mtbr.com, where he writes reviews for products he never owned, let alone used. Please note that this list is not exhaustive.

‘Doing a Hora’ means that you have just made a little mess in your underpants, or you will have bought a bike for cosmetic reasons or you labour under the belief that it will improve your riding ability. The expression is not to be confused with ‘doing Hora’ which is something entirely different.

MrAgreeable

every single STW/CF member buys one frame, rides the said-only frame for a couple of years min yeah?

Works for me. I suppose I could go around moaning about how my £500 boutique hardtail frame is holding me back as a rider, is harsh on my legs, etc, but that would just make me sound like a whiny little bitch.

MrSmith
    Free Member

currently 5 years is the longest i have owned a frame. admittedly i went through 2 shitty frames in 2 years (carrera and inbred) before i found what i liked and stopped blaming the equipment for my mediocre riding ability.

it’s not that difficult to break the cycle of compulsive self appeasement followed by that empty guilt feeling. you just need to seek professional help

mk1fan
    Free Member

Rock Lobster 853? Or is that not ‘long travel’ enough?

Perhaps a shorter stem might help?

Like the wikipedia entry. You should be proud.

hora
    Free Member

amongst internet users

People who live on Chocolate Foot and don’t have a regular girlfriend? 😆

alpin
    Free Member

that wiki link is excellent.

it would appear that hora’s skills are not yet there and he buys bikes to compensate for this. sadly bikes are often not the key to being a better rider.

BigDummy
    Free Member

There is a line between the joshing that hora appears to need in recognition of his sterling efforts to be an infuriating internerd legend, and kicking the man when he’s already unconscious and bleeding from the eyes. And that wikipedia entry is usually posted around the time it is crossed. 🙂

I’m not going to buy any more new frames I don’t think. I’ll just snap up discarded hora ones in future. 😉

hora
    Free Member

Hmmmmm. As light as the Chameleon yet slack head angle and steel?

the_lecht_rocks

hora – why sell a frame cause it’s getting scratched ?
    they’re mountain bikes………… 😯

MrAgreeable

BD, are you joing the ranks of the cyber-bullies with that last comment? 😉

I don’t really care about Hora’s attention-seeking behaviour. But I do feel sorry for the people who try and give him helpful advice. If you add up all the collective assistance and knowledge that people have tried to impart to him over the years, it’s probably the equivalent of someone writing a dissertation, then dropping it into a public post box in an envelope addressed to Santa Claus.

hora
    Free Member

cyber-bullies…kids/nerds who were bullied at school. 😆 🙄

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 100 total)

The topic ‘Long travel hardtails- advice’ is closed to new replies.