Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Long travel hardtail – anything better than Vitus Sentier VRX for £1.5k?
  • essexbiker
    Free Member

I’m on the look out for a long travel (130-150mm) hardtail and can’t seem to get past the 2016 Vitus Sentier VRX for £1274 (minus BC discount). Looks a good spec although I know nothing about the forks. On my checklist is 27.5, 1×11, dropper, air fork, bolt-thru front and rear, decent brakes – the Vitus ticks all the boxes.

Has anyone ridden one (if so what’s the verdict?) or if not, what else would you recommend I look at?

eltonerino

I’d have a look at the Bird Zero. I’ve got a Zero.1 in blue, it’s lovely 😀
    Similar specs for similar money. They do fancier versions and cheaper ones too, with lots of customisation.
    There is also the new TR and AM frames, but they came out after I got mine, so I’ve not looked at them.

acsevens

Whyte 905s get very good reviews, though a little over budget. I’ve got a Santa Cruz Chameleon which I built up for around that, which rides well and is a lot of fun.

jaymoid

The Capra AL meets some of those requirements and is a full bouncer:

YT Industries slashes price of Capra to £1,600 for 2016

hamishthecat
    Free Member

Commencal Meta HT?

Not the spec you’re looking at but lovely frame.

v666ern
    Free Member

I’m on the look out for a long travel (130-150mm) hardtail

The Capra AL meets some of those requirements and is a full bouncer

eh, not what they’ve asked, its 1610 at current exchange plus what 75 box and shipping for a 170mm travel bike

So what’s the catch?

Well, the only issue we can see is that YT’s popularity has led to long waiting times in the past so if you want to get your hands on one of these you should probably get moving fast as they are on sale now.

so a 1/3rd over budget 😐 and will be on backorder for 3 months

stevemuzzy
    Free Member

Look a production privee shan. I love mine with 160mm puke and 1x10xt.

essexbiker
    Free Member

Some good shouts on here – thanks to all that replied. Any others I should be looking at?

drovercycles
    Free Member

Transition Transam would be worth considering, IMHO. Could have a nice custom build for £1500.

catfishsalesco
    Free Member

New Genesis high latitude?

howsyourdad1
    Free Member

How do I get a 160mm puke?

benpinnick

For less than £1500 you’d be getting 11spd, reverb and Pikes on a Zero AM. If you don’t mind waiting until next week I will post up a pic of the new model just in. Arrive tomorrow off the boat!

nwill1
    Free Member

Less than £1500 will get you a very nicely specced 2nd hand Stanton Switchback…less than 1k will get you a very nicely specced Stanton Slackline.

Depends if you want new or would be willing to go used and if you want 27.5″ or willing to consider 26″.

chiefgrooveguru

Ben, I ordered one earlier – excited! 🙂 Frame only, swapping parts off my Soul, though I do need some forks and a bigger dropper post (can I get those from you?)

benpinnick

Yeah you can! Give us a call we’ve got some good deals at the mo.

essexbiker
    Free Member

Ben@Bird – you’ve got me interested in the Zero AM – please post up images when you have them

core

Bugger this forum, I now want a new Bird Zero TR! 😳

lee170
    Free Member

Orange crush is pretty nice, looks fun to

essexbiker
    Free Member

Ben @Bird – what’s the difference between the Zero TR and AM? Is the AM just the TR optimised for 150mm forks?

benpinnick

THe tr Is a dare I say it, our enduro hardtail, where’s the am is hardcore territory. Why would I risk piss taking by calling it enduro? Because we took our enduro geo from the aeris and made a HardTail from it. Longer than the-magazine-default-must-be back end gives it a glued to the ground feeling, running a long wheelbase makes it prone to honing in on the downhills and its plenty slack without being sluggish, and the weight (130mm piked builds from 23lbs) keeps it a great all day bike too. The am on the other hand is designed for 150mm forks, and is made from the same indestructible* tubing as the original zero and has a slightly shorter reach and short back end for more playfulness and general blasting about. If you want to smash out 30 or 40km in Wales on a HardTail get the tr. if you want to ride your HardTail at bike park Wales then the am is for you. The am will run 140 forks too, whereas the tr is rated to 130 max.

* I’m not saying it’s actually indestructible but we’ve sold hundreds and the failure rate is zero 😉

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Long travel hardtail – anything better than Vitus Sentier VRX for £1.5k?’ is closed to new replies.