Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • long travel hard tail, steel, to turn into 69er ?? ideas
  • bodgitandscarpper
    Free Member

long travel hard tail, steel, to turn into 69er with solid forks in winter and long travel forks for long summer rides

Hairychested
    Free Member

I'll be doing just that to my 456SS, probably tomorrow. I know I'll get slaughtered for misaligned valves/logos or inappropriate angle of lean against the wall but I'll take a few snaps to share ASAP.
    FWIW I've tried it with a Gary Fisher HT and it rode fine.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Go for it. Better than the gates they call 29ers and better rolling than the 'normal' 26er

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    peajay

Been thinking about this too, would a 29 wheel fit in 445mm rigid carbons or would it require a 29r fork? Was thinking a 445mm fork would stop the angles getting too slack, any thoughts?
    PJ.

firestarter
    Free Member

i did it a few years back with one of the earlier inbreds i used pace rc31 26 inch forks and the niner wheel . Worked pretty well tbh kinda like my current 456 with 140mm forks on. Just not as squishy 🙂 will dig out a pic tomorrow if i remember

firestarter
    Free Member

here it is (good job i like taking pix of bikes unlike cynic-al lol)

the00
    Free Member

Some suspension corrected rigid forks for 26" wheel 'might' accept a 29er wheel, as shown above, and looks like a nice compromise [i]puts thinking hat on – what have I got i the garage…[/i]

mangoridebike

the onone 26" rigid carbon forks do accept a 29" wheel, easily in fact. I imagine that most will if they are suspension corrected.

Stoner
    Free Member

ages ago Brant sent a 456 69er'd up to Dirt rag for a review. And "won".

A-c seems to work with 29er wheels and 26" forks OK apparently.

mangoridebike

wasn't it a 29er wheel with 80mm forks? which fitted the geometry of the 456 nicely.

Sqwubbsy
    Free Member

I'm running my on-one 853ss with on-one carbon 26" forks and 29" wheel. The head angle etc feels about the same as it was with 130mm revs and 26" wheel.

Singular Sam sells a rigid steel fork design for this purpose.

My thread from a few months back.

ssboggy

I did it to my Inbred last winter using Pace RC 31 forks 440mm long and there is plenty of room for the 29er wheel/tyre. Very similar to micks above

the_lecht_rocks

brilliant news – wasn't too sure my on one 26" carbon rigid's would accept a 29 rim + tyre combo……
    now all i have to do is get one 😀

bent_udder
    Free Member

Lecht, I'm about to list a wheel and forks in the classifieds, so drop me a line.

bodgitandscarpper
    Free Member

interesting so far, has any one done this on a cotic soul? there seems to be a lot of on-one fans out there.
    i already have a 21.5inch on-one 29er and just felt like i wanted something with much sharper handling.
    would this be the case with a 69er, quicker acceleration and sharper turning. would you be able to fit 29er reba forks in this or would it push the geometry to far???

thats_not_my_name
    Free Member

Fancy doing the same to my On-One SS, so if anyone has a 29er front wheel going spare then drop me a line (email in profile).

househusband
    Free Member

Isn't the Hummingbird from Singular designed to be exactly what the OP has in mind?

CountZero

I tried this a while back in my LBS, scrounged a front wheel off a Gary Fisher 29er and it fitted perfectly. Only the disc not fitting my caliper stopped me heading out for a ride. The Bonty wheel only had a 160mm rotor on it. My forks are standard On-One carbon rigids.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘long travel hard tail, steel, to turn into 69er ?? ideas’ is closed to new replies.