Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)
  • Long travel forks – what's the point??
  • Bushwacked
    Free Member

As above – what's the point of Long travel forks for mere mortal riders?

I've got 130mm forks currently but recently have been obsessing about upgrading to 160mm forks.

Can someone cut through the fog of marketing bullshite and hype to explain if it really adds anything.

cynic-al
    Free Member

If you can't see a benefit for your riding then there probably isn't one.

earl_brutus

been riding 100mm forks on my main ride for the last 10 years, see no reason to go longer for UK riding, though Ive got a 6inch travel bike for occasional soirees in the alps..

Bushwacked
    Free Member

cynic-al – I would like to think they would help me to cope with the DH type riding I am doing but then I think well if my 130mm forks cope with it is there value in 160mm. But I wonder if the 160mm will be a better tools for the jjob although I know its not about the bike.

Earl – why don't you use the 100mm in the alps? what does the 6incher give you that the 100m doesn't?

freeridenick
    Free Member

as cynic-al said….

bigger stanchions = stiffer fork = better tracking
    more travel = slacker head angle = more control on steep stuff

Bushwacked
    Free Member

It's one of those things – how do you know you need them without having them? The old "unconciously incompetent" – ie I don't know what I don't know…

Tim
    Free Member

Because they make bikes even more fun

sorted 🙂

MrNutt
    Free Member

bigger the fork the bigger the fun!

_tom_
    Free Member

I kept bottoming out 100mm forks but only because I'm too heavy for the max psi in a Recon, not because I'm a hardcore downhill rider 😆 140mm on my Pikes feels about right to me. Having any more seems a bit excessive.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

They let you ride faster, which is more fun. Simple as that.

If you're only riding easyish trails, you might be a bit non-plussed. Once you start riding steep and gnarly stuff, it'll make lots of sense – as much the slacker, more stable geometry as anything.

Just beacuse the 130's "cope" doesn't mean they're the "best" answer…

stevomcd
    Free Member

I rode 130mm forks for my first season out here (Marz AM2s on my Heckler). I got a set of Lyriks for my second season. All problems with finger cramp and forearm pump disappeared at the same time. The 2 things may or may not be related!

toys19
    Free Member

I had to think about this to give a coherent answer, it's best illustrated in this example. If you have 120mm forks, then you will have approx 120mm (4.72 inches) of travel, whereas if you have 160mm forks then you will have approx 160mm (6.3 inches) of travel. So in this case going from 120mm to 160 mm forks will give you an extra approx 40 mm (1.58 inches) of travel. Hope that helps. 😆

robdob
    Free Member

I would imagine that in many parts of the country, eg Notts (where I used to live, fairly flat with rides at Clipstone forest etc) you don't need much more than 80/100mm, if any at all. However here in West Yorkshire, and the Dark Peak where I ride mostly the more you've got the better. I have 150mm on my Pitch but would like more if I could afford some non DH weight forks.
    I think round me if you're going to have boing you may as well have a lot of it. Or none at all, which I did ride for years.

thomthumb
    Free Member

found that 140mm coil forks are terrible through alpine switchbacks due to the geo change.

Three_Fish
    Free Member

This is a troll thread; surely?

robdob
    Free Member

I think if I was going to have to choose one travel setting I would have to keep for all riding in the UK I would go for 130mm, but a good quality fork. Wouldn't be too much weight to drag around Lincolshire but would be useful in the Lakes or Peaks. I had some u-turn air revelations at 130mm and I thought they were ace, never phased with anything really but not a drag on longer flatter rides as they were reasonably light. Shame I had to sell them to get my new bike.

robdob
    Free Member

This is a troll thread; surely?

I don't think so, it's a reasonable question to ask I reckon.

Bushwacked, where do you ride mostly?

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

i found 80mm enoug last weekend at GT, was able to razz around at the same speed as 2 guys on 150mm FSs.

of course, my bike being a 29er made it all easy.

my other bike has had 130mm forks, long 130mm forks and now has 120mm forks. its great 🙂

ianv
    Free Member

Not sure there is really, i have 120-160 All mountain SLs on my chameleon and I hardly ever wind them out above 130. As said above the dive changes the geometry and feels sh*t.

If I was to change I woul prob go with something simple like a set of pikes.

RHSno2
    Free Member

I wish my penis was 30mm bigger

Bushwacked
    Free Member

RH Sno2 – your SO said that last night 😉

benman
    Free Member

I think 120 / 130mm is a good compromise fork length for XC, short enough to give good angles for climbing, but also long enough for a majority of downs.
    I've only ever coveted longer forks on one downhill in the peak (cavedale…) but I'm sure I can clean it with a bit of practise!

stumpy01

Surely, it's more to do with the combination of frame/fork than just talking about the fork in isolation.

My old bike came as standard with Judy's that were set to 100mm travel, although I am not sure they were set-up particularly well.
    While in Spain they blew all their oil and luckily Mark @ Ciclo Montana had a pair of 130mm Bombers he lent me. They were great going downhill as they slackened the bike nicely, but on anything even remotely uphill the bike became really difficult to ride without the front end lifting. The steering also became really slow & it felt like the front just didn't want to track round corners.
    I replaced the Judy's with 85-115mm Reba's, which suited the bike pretty well.

On my current bike (new Stumpjumper), there's a 140mm Fox. If this had been fitted to the old bike, it would have been pretty unrideable, but on the bike it was designed for, it's great.
    Likewise, a mate had 160mm Marzocchi's on his Coiler, which are fine. On his Inbred, I doubt they'd be much good.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

No, its not a troll.

I've got a Soul at the moment and running Pace 130mm forks on it. Love it to pieces but I am starting to push and progress my riding to doing more jumping and tackling much steeper DH type trails so I've been looking at a BFe with 160mm forks (as some of you will have heard / seen recently).

But I was talking to someone yesterday about 160mm forks who said "its not about the bike", "why do you think you need 160mm" and "ride what you've got". I agree with this as I know I can ride that bike well over the terrain I ride but when asked why do I think I need 160mm forks I was slightly stumped. I suppose this is where the question comes from – moving from 130mm to 160mm – does it really improve things? will it make my riding more enjoyable? or am I just suckered into the marketing hype?

The idea of more dive is something I've not really thought about.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I put my 130 springs in for alpine duties, run 105 the rest of the time with no problems in Scotland. But I'm not hammering man-made DH tracks day in day out, just natural stuff and the odd trail centre.

I just found my enjoyment went down with the travel going up in the UK – rarely rode anything that tested 130 sufficiently to warrant more, I found that I was just taking bad lines and blowing through the 130 with poor choice rather than riding the section properly.

sheldona
    Free Member

Bushwacker pop over to mine and take my 6" travel out for the day. You'll know why after riding it!

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

I have ridden DH courses on 140 forked HT and on a 160 FS.

naturally on a 160 FS you can let go more, not sure which was more fun though, the HT I think. Certainly the 160 FS has sat in the basement for the last 2 years where I've been hitting everything except the local forest on my 100-140 HT.

I expect a 160 HT would need quite a slack HA to deal with sag/diving and I certainly wouldn't chose that but that's somewhat personal as I prefer steeper HAs (iirc my evil is 71 deg@100 and 67/68@140. At 140 I find it too slack for "normal" trails)

mboy
    Free Member

On a hardtail, going from 130 to 160mm forks won't make a massive difference. Nice to have the extra in reserve, but it's probably not necessary IMO.

Of course though, when has MTBing been about what's necessary? Never I hope! It's about having fun… So in the same way your bike rode perfectly fine with an 80mm stem, but now steers quicker with a 60mm on, longer forks would just change the attitude somewhat. Whether that appeals or not only you can answer…

If you want a go on some 160mm fox 36's though, just give me a shout…

FWIW for the type of riding you're on about with this BFe of you get it, my personal choice would be something like a set of 140mm bolt through forks like Pikes or Revelations… If buying all brand new of course. But I'd really not worry top much one way or the other quite frankly.

poppa
    Free Member

If you find that during the course of a typical ride you are repeatedly bottoming out your fork, you may need more travel.

If you find that during the course of a typical ride you never bottom out your fork, you may be OK with less travel.

Assuming the fork is set up correctly that is.

MrTall
    Free Member

Would it be worth getting something with adjustable travel (UTurn etc) so that you can try it at 150mm on the downs but leave it at 130mm for everyday riding? Best of both worlds?

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Now, if the fork is bottoming out is tha because the fork spring is not set right? I wonder if you should even bottom out the forks if they are properly set up – leading to wonder if 130mm travel is actually just as good as 160mm.

if you had a head angle on a bike with 160mm forks that was the same as a bike with 130mm – what would the difference be if you rode the same terrain and only used the same proportion of travel on both forks as they were set up correctly? Surely there is no benefit of one over the other?

This really isn't a troll but me thinking aloud as I don't see there is any difference other than marketing hype

cynic-al
    Free Member

OP if you are DHing then I'd have thought 160mm may be worth it, I use 130 x adn I don't see the point of anything shorter uless you are racing, but longer can get bobby/heavy etc with no benefits for xc.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

I'm going to keep my Soul for XC / all day ridings. I am after something that I can use on more DH type terrain but not sure I need anything other than what I;ve got.

JonEdwards
    Free Member

All thsoe complaining about excess fork dive on big forks – wack up the low speed compression a bit!

The fork thing is a complete "need -vs- want" question. We all used to ride rigid bikes, 1.9" tyres, 150mm stems and 22" bars, and it was great. Sunday, I was riding the same trails I was riding 15 years ago on a 6" travel full sus with 28" bars, 2.3s and a 50mm stem, and it was **** awesome. Some people would say I was overbiked. I wasn't. I was riding at the limit of my ability to control that bike, same as I used to on the old Clockwork. Sure you can ride everything now on your current setup, so you don't "need" to change, but as you've found out by swapping the stem, "wanting" to change can provide a different experience, and it's quite often for the better.

tinsy
    Free Member

I think your confusing the travel with their intended use.

The 160mm will be allround a burlier setup than a 130mm XC fork.

Set up correctly you should use the full travel on both forks, or the % of their travel, however the 160mm will give you a smoother ride over the same run, or maybe if the run isnt that hard leave you with extra for bigger hits, mistakes etc.

Bushwacked
    Free Member

ARRRRRRRRRRGGGGHHH!!!!

😮

need v want!

freeganbikefascist
    Free Member

constant bottoming out usually means fork spring too soft
    conventional wisdom is set the spring to the "at rest" sag (you on the bike, in the attack position) then bottoming out once or twice on a decent sized ride is about right, although non-linear spring rates can mess with that simple approach.

so, "correctly" set up 130 and 160mm forks would not deflect the same on the same trail, the 160 would be getting more travel and would sit further into the travel at rest. The effect of the same sagged "at rest" HA on 130 and 160mm forks would be a steeper HA under breaking or other heavy load for the 160, as it's got further to go.

Whether that is noticeable between 130 and 160 is perhaps questionable, but the same principle applies comparing 100 to 160 and there I can promise you the difference can be quite alarming!

JonEdwards
    Free Member

Assuming the same frame, headangles will be ~ 1deg slacker with a 160mm fork, vs 130.

If they were the same static headangle, the bigger forks would be sketchier under full compression, which is not good.

You *should* be using full travel every time you ride. If not, you're overspring/damped. "Nasty clunk" style bottom out to be avaoided though.

retro83
    Free Member

found that 140mm coil forks are terrible through alpine switchbacks due to the geo change.

poor setup

Bushwacked
    Free Member

Jon – thinking more of a hypothetical setup with same head angle with 160 and 130 – so 67.5 when both forks fitted (obviously two different frames as one frame would not have same head angle for two different length forks)

B

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 70 total)

The topic ‘Long travel forks – what's the point??’ is closed to new replies.