Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • long travel carbon hardtail frame
  • nickc

Is there such a frame on sale at the minute? Adjusted for 140mm forks.

RealMan
    Free Member

No, I dont think so. That would be a bit of a contradiction, as carbon is for light racy bikes. And long travel forks are for big drops, descents, and general fun. The forks could take the hits, while the frame couldnt, and the frame could race while the forks couldnt.

jfeb
    Free Member

RealMan – I think that is a slightly out-dated view. It isn't the frame material that makes a race frame but geometry (and stifness & weight). A long-travel frame would no doubt be heavier than an XC race frame but I can't see any reason why making one isn't possible. That said, I haven't seen a long-travel carbon hardtail yet either.

BigDummy
    Free Member

I read this OP, and wondered vaguely whether nick was trolling. I suspect he was after exactly what RealMan has provided. 😉

nickc

Actually I was being serious. I don't really share the opinion that Carbon=fragile necessarily, so I'd be happy to ride one. Having never ridden a carbon bike, and knowing that there are any number of 140mm+ full sussers, I was curious as to whether there was a hard tail equivalent. I suspect not though, given that RealMan's view is probably the prevailing one.

jfeb
    Free Member

On a similar not to the OP – has anyone ever ripped (or seen) the head tube off a carbon frame? My old Trek 9.8 seemed massively overbuilt around both the headtube and bottom bracket. I would imagine it was a lot stronger than you might think.

BigDummy
    Free Member

My apologies for doubting your seriousity. 🙂

nickc

Your apology is accepted. Never doubt my seriousityness again. 🙂

compositepro
    Free Member

it does exist…unfortunately you cant have it yet…

nickc

Now then, you can't be tempting me like that…

eddyesi
    Free Member

Really interested, posted somat similar a while ago with no sensible answers

Ran my XTC carbon with 130mm forks for a bit, and survived the abuse fine, but handled badly at anything over 110mm, so ended up with a Pace 303, which is awesome to ride, but miss the softer back end and general carbon feel.

Know a few people wanting a light 5" hardtail with decent geometry, only the Ibis Mojo or a few 5" ti frames, but no carbons, and dont really know why if you can get a 6-7" full suser like the Ransoms Enduros etc, why not a 5" hardtail?

richc
    Free Member

I am kinda hoping that Ibis do a long travel version of the Tranny frame.

Regardless if on-one were to make one as alluded to by compositepro, it might be worth seeing if you could get the same type as paint as Ibis use, to protect it from scuffs etc.

racefaceec90

well i run 120mm on my 08 s works hardtail. 🙂

eddyesi
    Free Member

Meant Ibis Tranny not Mojo, thought it was 120mm, seems not, must have changed?

You may be able to run 120mm on 100mm frames, but the geometry isnt what it should be for an alrounder 5" bike,

What i want is a <4lb 130mm travel corrected carbon frame with 69° head angle, with low stack/integrated headset, neat cable routing, tough enough for trail centres but light/flickable enough for singletrack climbing and enough absorbtion to take the sting outa 3hrs riding.

May have to give in and go Ti, but prefer carbon really, so just want to know a good reason whty no one does one yet?

richc
    Free Member

Just a bit soon and niche at the moment thats all. Give it a few years and you can be sure than Ibis and/or Santa Cruz will have one out and once the market has been established then Spesh/Giant will flood the market with cheap copies.

I_Ache
    Free Member

This is Mick Hannah's light weight carbon xc bike.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘long travel carbon hardtail frame’ is closed to new replies.