Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)
  • long travel 29ers?
  • wobbliscott
    Free Member

Could it be that no bike is the wrong bike? Seems to me that there has been a real convergence on bike design over the past few years and you’re probably just as well choosing on the basis of subjective things like brand preference, aesthetics, geometry, budget etc. Is there such thing as a properly crap bike these days?

I bet most of them are even manufactured in the same factories by the same people.

deviant
    Free Member

wobbliscott – Member
    Could it be that no bike is the wrong bike? Seems to me that there has been a real convergence on bike design over the past few years and you’re probably just as well choosing on the basis of subjective things like brand preference, aesthetics, geometry, budget etc. Is there such thing as a properly crap bike these days?

I bet most of them are even manufactured in the same factories by the same people.

I reckon you’re not far off with this post…

….but careful now, you’ll upset the ‘my bike was built by bearded artisans in a hut in British Columbia, there is no other like it, it just rides in a way you couldnt possibly understand’ brigade with statements like that!

crispyrice

There the Ibis Ripley 140mm, I haven’t ridden one, but the want is strong 🙂

pjm84
    Free Member

Trigger 1 with a Lefty…

gweb
    Free Member

Lots of great 29ers around now, but my Tallboy Ltc with 150mm Pike and CCDBair is still so much fun that I haven’t been tempted by anything else, which after a year or more is unheard of for me!

boppinbobby
    Free Member

Bottom line is are you riding somewhere where you need long travel? I see kids here with 6″ riding trails that you you can ride easily with 4. And their suspension o rings aren’t even half way down type the piston.of course maybe they are running too high a pressures.

TooTall
    Free Member

As I currently reside in the USA, I’ll be interested to see whether any companies come out with a new Horst rear suspension for next year (now that the Specialized patent is expiring).

AlexSimon

Transition are TooTall – at least on their 650b bikes. Wouldn’t surprise me they all change over.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

If you only ever ride a certain type of trail then you can tailor your bike and travel to suit. But if, like me, you want one bike to do everything, then you need a bike that is capable of a variety of trails and terrain. There is no real downside to long travel, within sensible reason. My Covert climbs very well, is more than capable if an all day XC ride, any trail centre and can cope when I take it to the downhill areas and attempt jumps and drops and the more bumpy stuff. It’s just good all round fun. And even if I’m riding a tame trail it’ll have me looking for little kickers and features I can have a bit of fun with as I go along.

jedshred
    Free Member

plus 1 for the Orange Five 29er. It’s a beast!

Have ridden the 650b version and also my mates Tallboy LT and the Orange Five is far more preferable for me personally.
    Climbs well and as soon as you point it downhill it feels unstoppable – can’t recommend enough.

Here’s a pic of my Apple Green finished pride and joy and joy alongside my mates Black/Gold version…

If image doesn’t work can be found at https://flic.kr/p/oBCob1

Clink

Here you go jedshred:

rickon
    Free Member

That’s bizarre, I’ve seen four other Five29s in the wild – three belong to friends.

Yours is at Spookywood, which is my local haunt 😉

Black stickers FTW.

Chainline
    Free Member

@twistedpencil to answer your question, 160mm Pikes is pushing it on the AC 29 in my opinion. It lifts the BB a bit too high and changes the climbing position that bit more with a slacker ST and taller front, also shortening the ETT a touch more, 150mm feels good.
    I have a friend running 160’s and he wishes it was a touch lower in the BB. It’s not loads but noticeable.

Coincidentally, I have a set of 150mm Pikes for sale from my Ion15. They can be changed to 160mm just by replacing the air spring, but I would suggest staying 150mm. It also keeps a good climbing position. Got a set of Enve wheels too:-)

I speak from experience as the production AC was based on my custom AC and I provided input to the production model, I then worked with Nicolai on the Ion15.

JCL
    Free Member

Rocketship but get saving for the Monarch and the Fattie SL wheels for perfection.

jedshred
    Free Member

Thanks Clink!

nice rickon! There are a fair few kicking about locally then… the other one in my pic also a mates and the real reason I ended up buying the Orange Five having ripped it down a few of our local haunts (GT, Inners etc etc)!

Not such a rare breed north of the border lol

Yetiman
    Free Member

@ twisted pencil. I’m currently running a 160 Pike on my AC 29er, and prior to that i had the 150mm version. The longer fork is great if you ride a lot of big hills with long techy descents, which i do, but if you do a fair bit of mixed riding then i’d agree with chainline as the 150 fork is probably the better option for the reasons he mentions.

Chainline
    Free Member

@twistedpenci @yetiman I would agree if you value the extra up front and you have a tendency to dh rather than all round. You can of course also add a slackset and reset the front or run a touch more sage to offset the height and a touch more compression to offset the sag…but thats all about playing.
    IF you run a Pike you can always change between the two relatively inexpensivly if you don’t like it. Not everyone loves low BB’s as you inevitably have to manage pedal strike depending on the terrain you ride, thee is a balance. The 29 suffers less than most however due to the Helius linkage characteristics (it ramps up quickly at the end of stroke.

Viewing 17 posts - 41 through 57 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘long travel 29ers?’ is closed to new replies.