• This topic has 45 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by a11y.
Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Long travel 29ers (again)
  • mboy
    Free Member

I don’t know what it was with the enduro but it definitely didn’t feel the whole of its numbers- I don’t think it’s especially short or tall, but it felt short and tall. If I’d had to guess I’d have said it had less reach and head angle than my Remedy but I’m pretty sure it’s slacker and longer, bit odd.

It’s not just you…

I took one in PX against an Evil late last year, tape measure revealed BB height 10mm taller than quoted (bike was still on stock tyres) at over 360mm, and the wheelbase was definitely shorter than quoted too. It was an XL and changing the 75mm stem to a 50mm would have made it the perfect reach (if not seat tube length) for me at 5’10”, and I don’t even like particularly long bikes! Certainly I’ve had a sit on a large before and it felt small, where my Medium Wreckoning feels bang on.

Best way I can describe the feeling of the old Enduro is that it feels very much like a plush long travel XC bike. It’s got more than enough travel for anyone’s needs, but the geometry is outclassed by a whole load of other 29ers, many of them with as much as 40mm less travel than the Enduro! Sounds like movements have been made in the right direction for 2017, but still doesn’t exactly look radical on paper… Spesh customers are often repeat purchasers though so it’ll sell well im sure…

@ chapaking, have you seen Yeti’s frame prices for 2017? You think Evil are expensive! It’s all about choice though too… Life would be boring if we all desired the same things!

chakaping
    Free Member

Haha, I don’t even look at Yeti bikes any more. They’ve turned into a bit of a joke IMO.

I’ve never ridden the outgoing E29 but one of my riding pals has one and they certainly cover rough ground very rapidly.

I almost bought a large or XL with a view to sticking a 650b wheel in the rear, thus lowering the BB and seatmast and slackening it off.

Euro
    Free Member

Riding a RocketMAX myself. It’s crap 😉 . Only 140mm travel which is a short long but it’s plenty. Can take 150mm forks too.

I almost bought a large or XL with a view to sticking a 650b wheel in the rear, thus lowering the BB and seatmast and slackening it off.

Most of my big mountain buddies are riding Enduro’s. All fast and very capable riders. One of them is in the process of getting a 650b rear triangle for his 29 to add slackness and drop the BB a touch (but still able to take a 29 wheel). Haven’t seen him in a couple of weeks but curious to see what it rides like.

Northwind

thepodge – Member

I’d like to see Sam Hill doing the EWS on the 29er Nukeproof.

That should quieten a few people.

Seeing him get ride the 650b and get beat in Ireland by Greg Callahan on a 29er didn’t quieten anyone 😆

But Leov’s had some results for Trek, Francois Unspellable Name was 8th overall this year for BMC (and Lew Buchanan was off to a flyer til he broke himself)… I don’t think Callaghan rode the 29er for every race and Curtis Keene chops bikes around… But still, strong showing. And there’s the small matter of womens’ overall, 2013, 2014, 2015 😆

thepodge
    Free Member

Fair point, it’s just Hill has a certain following of what I’d perhaps suggest are a bit more traditional in their wheel size view

a11y

Had my outgoing-model (2014) Enduro 29 Comp for over 2 years, love it. But If I had to replace I’d look at the 2017 Enduro 29. The changes appear to address my only complaint which is it’d be nice to have more reach/bigger front centre. But then I should probably be riding a size XL at my height rather than the L I have, so my own fault.

Should add I’m running a 650b rear link (‘clevis’) on mine which drops the BB and slackens the HA slightly. Not massive difference but enough to keep me happy.

Haven’t test-ridden any but I’d also look at:
    NP Mega 290 – measurements on paper look ideal for me, plus I was very impressed with my old Pulse DH bike
    Trek Remedy 29 – cos it looks lovely

Bike like the SC Hightower or Yeti SB5.5 are (IMO) too close to my other bike – a Yeti SB95 – for me to consider, but perhaps should be in the mix. Prices scare me though.

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Long travel 29ers (again)’ is closed to new replies.