Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)
  • long travel 29ers?
  • MSP

Basically, what’s the competition for a SC tallboy LTc?

TooTall
    Free Member

The Turner Sultan is 125mm travel. I’ve seen longer forks on them.

Lenz do a couple of bikes.

Intense do the Carbine and the Spider.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Transition covert 29, 140 front and rear, though I’ve gone 150 up front. Could easily take 160.

Mates got a Norco Shinobi, 140 front, 120 rear. I don’t think they continued it into 2014, but an awesome bike too.

Both great climbers as superb descenders.

JCL
    Free Member

SJ Evo C. Better in every way than a TB LTC.

Also Remedy, E29.

frogstomp

Specialized Enduro 29?

The carbon Salsa Horsethief is due out sometime too..

ratherbeintobago

Rip 9 RDO?

Clink

Alu Horsethief is 130/120

On-one Codeine

loads more

Dark-Side

Yeti SB95. I have one, I like it.

swanny853

In the spirit of suggesting what you own, Commençal meta am 29? Definitely on the solid side of well built but I’ll never break it and nice and stiff to ride

prawny

Bmc trailfox 29er had a decent write up in mbr, 150 at both ends, had a look at one at lunch, looks good in an understated way.

MussEd
    Free Member

In the spirit of recommending the bike you’re selling, may I add my tuppence to the Turner Sultan?

Here’s a link to my ad just in case!

rickon
    Free Member

Orange Alpine Five.

Was Five29.

140mm rear, 150mm front.

Absolutely stonking fun.

Shackleton

Banshee prime. Don’t dismiss the short travel, more hardcore 29ers like the banshee phantom or kona process 111 either. Unless you are doing 6ft drops the longer travel bikes don’t stack up in my opinion, certainly for 99% of UK riding.

Northwind

Five 29er is really impressive, best Orange I’ve ever ridden. But for me it’d be a Remedy.

(I’d want to try an Enduro and a Covert, mind)

sprocker
    Free Member

+1 for a banshee prime

bigh
    Free Member

Just dismantled my solaris and built a Turner Sultan, its lovely.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Turner sultan with revs at 140mm here. Also had a Solaris run as a 1×9 trail bike until a few months ago running revs at 120mm. Currently waiting for my quarter horse to be built and shipped.

The sultan is fine with 140mm revs, but there’s no getting away from its weight if you build it with a spec to suit the travel. I built the sultan to be my go anywhere, do anything bike, so it has a slight bias to the big mountain chunk end of things ( dropper post, Hans dampf’s, 35mm rims, big bars, brakes, etc…), although it’s still perfectly rideable all day as a trail bike, I won’t be winning any races on it any time soon.

I ride with candodavid on this forum, who has a SC Tallboy Ltc. He’s built it a great deal lighter than my sultan (5lbs!), but it is a dream build by anyone’s standards, whereas mine is sort of XT spec trail workhorse build. I know from riding it that the tallboy is stiffer, although the flex in the sultan isn’t huge, and it seems to give some extra grip, unlike some bikes where flex seems to create more handling issues, the Sultan seems to sort of flex around and hold the ground. It’s difficult to describe, as you can probably tell.

If I had budget, I’d probably get the tallboy, but I got my sultan new for 995 in the last crc turner sale, which was a no brainer.

Paul@RTW
    Free Member

I had a chance to use a Specialized carbon SJ 29er Evo for trip and loved it. It was my first taste of 29″ wheels and I’m converted. Climbed very well and the downs were so much fun. I think I described it as “cheating” after doing Porcupine Rim on it. (Normally guide on a 120 – 150 mm travel 26″ wheeled bike of some description).
    The other one I tried was a Trek Rumblefish. Again, a very fun and fast bike to ride but the Specialized had it for me.

rickon
    Free Member

Five 29er is really impressive, best Orange I’ve ever ridden. But for me it’d be a Remedy.

I’m the other way around 😉 The Remedy felt like an XC bike, whereas the Five29 just feels like a monster truck – it’s still massively connected to the trail, but eats up everything you throw at it.

Northwind

It is the XC bike which is going to win the enduro world series 😉

MSP

I am kind of leaning towards the spesh s-works enduro, it has the angles I want.

Gosh this is going to get expensive.

Yetiman
    Free Member

Nicolai ION 15

rg1979
    Free Member

Banshee prime.

srka
    Free Member

+1 for Spec SJ EVO, have one it rocks

snorkelsucker
    Free Member

I’m 3 rides into an Enduro Comp 29 and loving it. I also rode a Five 29 and thought that was really good but went with the Enduro as I managed to get several hundred quid off it as it is a 2014 model.

It climbs well enough, but isn’t exactly a whippet but on the way back down it’s flippin’ awesome. Pretty much no discernible difference with any other burly-ish 26 wheel bike i.e. you can manual it and its as happy in the air as it is thundering across the ground.

I imagine the carbon frame version would be epic with its lighter weight, but the comp frame is hard as nails. I’ve stuck a reverb on mine, and will probably look in the future at putting some carbon wheels on it, some carbon bars and maybe go 1 x 10 when the drivetrain has worn out.

If you “get” 29ers they are great. I didn’t after my first ride, but having tried a Tallboy, Yeti SB95 and Five 29 I realised a 29er was definitely going to be my next bike.

kettlefishbanana

Pivot 429C.

Amazing climber and great descender.

bighendo
    Free Member

… long travel 29ers?? yep, loads of fun!! 😀 😀

Nickman
    Free Member

not to forget the Niner WFO, 150mm rear, 160mm Pike front, very sweet

mainturion
    Free Member

Rocky Mountain Instinct

rhayter

Lots of places doing £500 off a Spesh’s Stumpy or Enduro carbon comp 29 right now.

twistedpencil

In the spirit of recommending what you own I suggest the Nicolai Helius AC 29er, though the Ion does look nice 🙂

Thread hijack, anyone running 160mm forks on the AC 29er? Looking at a set of pikes to replace my 140 revs…

rickon
    Free Member

It is the XC bike which is going to win the enduro world series

You know it’s nothing to do with Jared’s ridings skill 😉

wobbliscott
    Free Member

Any news on the Cotic Rocket 29 moving into production? Given the news over on the 2015 Transition thread it might be a possible bike to tempt me off my Covert.

Northwind

rickon – Member

You know it’s nothing to do with Jared’s ridings skill

It’s probably not, no, unless he’s going to change team. And gender 😉

AlexSimon

I loved the Banshee Prime I rode – it was heavy mind

AlexSimon

wobbliscott – Member

Any news on the Cotic Rocket 29 moving into production? Given the news over on the 2015 Transition thread it might be a possible bike to tempt me off my Covert.
    Something’s gone wrong on that front – see the BTR Pinner / Cotic thread
    No real news on what’s happening instead of the original plan.

gamerriley
    Free Member

+1 for the On One Codeine. Just does everything 😀

teknorob
    Free Member

If you’re not a giant and you want a bike that does everything then, after test riding tall boy, and the enduro, you’ll end up like me on the bike you didnt think you’ll choose a 29 stumpy but 150/120 Pikes on the front. It weighs in at 26lbs in this form and i ride swinley/ Surrey hills plus 4 excursions a year to the Pyrenees and so far i cant faze the stumpy and it hasnt fazed me either.

Pics of build:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/60180530@N03/14837447316/

[/url]Specialized StumpJumper SN WSBC6040924941_11 by bob bob 23, on Flickr[/img]

boppinbobby
    Free Member

All I know is I have an original Kona Satori and I love it. I got it when most of the others were still running less rear travel and the Prime was but a prototype. Perfect for the all mountain types trails up here in BC.

uselesshippy
    Free Member

Another sb95 owner, awesome machine.
    Saying that, I’ve ridden a couple of mates stumpy evos, also amazing bikes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 57 total)

The topic ‘long travel 29ers?’ is closed to new replies.