Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Long term employment – coping strategies?
  • philxx1975
    Free Member

JEEEEESUS I have another 30 years of this crap and ill be lucky if I don’t die before I get chance to retire or get access to my feeble pension.

devash
    Free Member

Fancy swapping places? 😆

grahamt1980

Take the money and keep running

Bustaspoke
    Free Member

Take the pragmatic approach,every week you work gets you a week nearer to getting out of the place…

thestabiliser
    Free Member

My imminent PSA might be relevant

MoreCashThanDash

Citalopram seems to work for me.

bruneep

3 yrs 11 months to go

mlke
    Free Member

Do just enough to keep your job and have energy to enjoy mucking around on the hills at weekends.

brooess
    Free Member

I know what you mean. I’ve had some rotten bosses and worked with some really incompetent and unpleasant people that I’d have had nothing to do with if I had had the choice.
    Few employers seem to have any care whatsoever for the welfare or even basic human needs of their employees (e.g. sleep, desire to be present for their kids etc).
    Also see the ‘sacking’ thread from the other day and how many people had to argue for the lad to be given a chance and not accused of theft without evidence and summarily sacked… it’s not abnormal IME…

However, if you’re in the UK and have a job you’re one of the wealthiest people in the world already… the fact we have 2-day weekends and paid holiday is a luxury…

So keep on keeping on till you retire. Or go contracting, when you care a whole lot less about all the ‘stuff’ or change jobs till you find a decent employer and decent boss…

Dibbs
    Free Member

Fourty two years down, thirteen months left to go. 🙂

mikewsmith
    Free Member

mlke – Member
    Do just enough to keep your job and have energy to enjoy mucking around on the hills at weekends.

The places I’ve worked where this is the prevailing attitude have been some of the most depressing.

TooTall
    Free Member

I’ve retired once already. It wasn’t all it cracked up to be. I’m back working and enjoying it.
    Find something you enjoy a bit more.

MoreCashThanDash

28 years done, 21 to go. 😥

zero-cool
    Free Member

I have another 30 years before I’m due to retire. The secret is to find a job you actually like/love doing.
    There will always be things about it that you done’t like, for me as a Paramedic it’s working lots of weekends and half my shifts being nights, the Govt. trying it’s damnedest to destroy the NHS, etc. But I get a smile and feel rewarded every time I make someone’s life a little better or help their health. And I get a really big boost everything I see a patient that would have been dead if we hadn’t treated them. But mainly it’s because after years of doing crap jobs (for the money), in my late 20s I took the risk of quitting my job and retraining to do something I wanted. 8 years later (and a lot of hard work) I’m happy to go to work (even if I’m on less money now than 10 years ago).

Do something you love, and if you ever get to the stage when it’s making you unwell (physically or mentally) then leave and do something else. It’s only money and your health is worth more than that (as long as you keep,at least one of your bikes to ride).

Tom kp

13thfloormonk

Almost right, I would say do enough to maintain pride in what you do, but ultimately don’t let the little f*ck ups and the dreary b*llshit get you down, it’s just the necessary penance for weekends and holidays mucking about in the hills.

Oh, and craft beer, there’s always craft beer 8)

The secret is to find a job you actually like/love doing.

Unfortunately I don’t think there enough rewarding/good jobs out there for the majority to find one. I mean I graduated with a 2:2 in engineering and exert all my spare enthusiasm and free time on hillwalking and cycling, so unless I lower my salary expectations massively (I could hack it, doubt my fiancee would hang around for long!) I’m unlikely to find a job I *love* any time soon.

dovebiker

I’m in the process in potentially facing my third redundancy of my career at 51. In both times previously, I was able to take a significant step change in my career, but the difficultly was dealing with the 6-9months of uncertainty inbetween. I’m hoping to wring another 4-5 years out of this and then my family circumstances (wife is carer for parent) should have resolved themselves to go off and do something else. Factors to consider that rejections are entirely independent events i.e. just because you’ve had 10 rejections doesn’t change the probability of the next.

ThePinkster

The secret is to find a job you actually like/love doing.

^This^

I would say do enough to maintain pride in what you do, but ultimately don’t let the little f*ck ups and the dreary b*llshit get you down, it’s just the necessary penance for weekends and holidays mucking about in the hills.

^And this^

I’ve got about 17 years to go and it’s worth trying to get a job that you’re at least comfortable in, even if it means moving about and trying different things out a bit at first before you find the right one.

After all, the job’s just there to make the time away from it more enjoyable. Think of all the things you couldn’t afford to do if you weren’t working.

faustus

compressed hours to 4 days a week, works for me!

adsh
    Free Member

PLAN!

Decide on plan B, train, get experience so that when your circumstances change you can actualy make the switch.

P-Jay
    Free Member

If you’re decades from hanging up your boots and counting down the days you’re quite mad.

You can try to find a job you love, but few people actually manage it, find one that’s at least tolerable and love the job you have, mine isn’t perfect, I don’t skip to work in the morning, it’s hard, it’s stressful sometimes and you rarely, if ever, get thanked for it – but I choose to count my blessings – my workmates are nice people, we don’t take things too seriously, but most importantly we own up when we make mistakes and we work together, not against each other trying to compete.

I haven’t a clue how long till I retire, I don’t really care – I’d rather be in my 30s working than in my 70s and retired.

philxx1975
    Free Member

Doesn’t matter, the firm announced 100 redundancies this morning 😆

Maybe karma is dictating to go to recruitment agency.

zelak999
    Free Member

Daydream about running your own bike related business!

jekkyl

sell everything you own and go and live in a teepee in wales, live off the land and only eat what you kill.

zero-cool
    Free Member

Actually, now you mention it, living in a Teepee or yurt and living off the land sounds cool.

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Long term employment – coping strategies?’ is closed to new replies.