Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • long term commuting question.
  • ton

anyone on here never used a car/bus/train for their commute, and relied solely on their bike for their commute…..for you whole working life.

if you have, how long for and how far daily.

amplebrew

I’ve cycled for 2 years, 10 miles each way.

I’ve found that it’s been easier to keep my fitness, especially over the winter months and I’ve never at any point wished I had a car.

Best thing I ever did was get mudguards, made a massive difference when riding in the rain.

dobiejessmo
    Free Member

Been cycling to work for the last 30 years.Only 4miles each way.Got very hairy last winter with the melting snow then frezzing on a 700c bike so used a mountain bike then.Its much less hassle plus i work outside anyway so have all the weather kit.What i do when the salt appears on the road use a 5 year old bike and not worry to much about it clean it up after the winter ready for the next one.Thing with commuting all the time you get very bored of your bike so do sell them quite often and get new ones.Have three on the go at present.Dont get bore of my road or mountain bikes in quite the same way.

simon_g

Not sure I could do the same commute by the same mode of transport every day – I like variety.

In my first job, there was a guy about to retire who’d cycled pretty much every day of his working life – and kept going when the company moved offices and his commute went from 5 miles each way to 19.

DrP

Been working for 4 1/2 years – walked the first 3, then have cycled every days for the last 18 months. Only 4 miles each way, but nice waterfront 10 miler for when I have the energy.
    Now we’ve a little’un in nursery I cycle him in too (3 days a week), as it’s only round to corner from work.
    When I change hospital I’ll still drop him off, then head on to wherever i need to be (likely another 8 miles in addition……)

I do love my commuting bike – a boardman hybrid team, with a few tweeks here and there….

DrP

stAn-BadBrainsMBC
    Free Member

commuted to work by bicycle every working day from age of 14(part time and weekend job outdoor catering 😉 ) – 30(shortest route was 8 miles, but I would quite often set of early for an afters shift and 30-40 mile before work or after if on mornings).
    When I was 30 I jacked in work to look after the kids while missus got a proper job – eventually learnt to drive at 30 and used car for a couple of years whilst working part time (dropping off and picking up kids etc.plus it was a v.cool lilac and purple customized beetle). got a full time job and shortly after crashed car so commuted every working day again by bike for a few years.
    Finally got a proper job and now do a combo of cycling and trains with the odd bus but very rarely use the car.
    Current commute (on a very nice Kona Sutra) = approx.10 miles to Leeds train station. Train to York etc. But on odd occasion do cycle home from York (37 miles).

Before I learnt to drive I used a bike for everything, commuting, shopping, going to pub, racing, visiting mates , I even used to take the kids too and from school, one sat on the top tube on a piece of pipe lagging while the eldest sat on the seat and I stood up to pedal. I rode to work in all weathers – I didn’t have an alternative choice –
    Best times had to be some of the early mornings setting of in the dark and arriving to glorious sunrise. Some of the most memorable include one misty morning when out of the mirk i saw an elephant walking across the road at 05:45am (unbeknown to me the circus had arrived in town the night before). Caught numerous couples ‘at it’ when returning from a late shift.
    Apart from a couple of accidents (one fairly serious) think the worst was when we had loads of work on and I was doing 12 hour shifts including weekends. I did 23 shifts without a break – one night I was that f”ked I fell asleep in my dinner. Also up there are the days when you felt like sh#t and had to drag yourself out of bed at 4:45 pitch black, rain battering the windows etc.

But on the whole commuting by bike is f##king A. and to be honest I do have guilt trips about certain car journeys i have made/make

muddydwarf
    Free Member

Yup, me.

I don’t drive so been commuting by bike for 20+yrs. Had a little break when i got a lift for about a year or so but apart from that i’ve been commuting pretty much constantly. only relatively local distances though.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘long term commuting question.’ is closed to new replies.