• This topic has 15 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 11 years ago by JRTG.
Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Long Stems
  • adsh
    Free Member

I know the fashion is for shorter and shorter stems but my Flux feels a little too short for me at present even with a 100mm. When I was using it as a trailcentre bike it wasn’t an issue but now I’m using it for more comfort on things like BORS etc I’m finding it irritating.

A 110mm stem will get me the right length and also help keep the front down on climbing (which with 120 forks can get a bit front light) but what effect will it have on the handling. Seeing at it’s telepathic verging on nervous, if it slows it slightly I don’t care.

I’m 6′, the bike is a large

argoose
    Free Member

If it feels right then it is right for you.

br
    Free Member

TT is too short 🙂

5thElefant
    Free Member

Or… wider bars will do the same thing.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I’ve got 120mm stem on my el mariachi and wide (ish) bars, feels great on singletrack, less so on jumps (although drops seem fine so maybe it’s just in my head).

rob-jackson
    Free Member

Got a 110mm stem you can try for a tenner – pics in classifieds

RustyMac

As others have mentioned how wide are your current bars? I found on my bike I reduced the stem length by 10mm by going from 685mm wide bars to 710. However YMMV.

Ed-O
    Free Member

Are you having fun? Then do nothing.

If not…..

Try wider bars. Be happy with a longer stem. Get a new bike with a longer top tube.

adsh
    Free Member

It’s an XC bike 90% of the time so 110mm it is. It’ll climb better and be a tad comfier.

mrmo
    Free Member

110 isn’t long ffs, try 135 or 150 if you want long. It was normal no one died. try it if you like good, if you don’t try something else. As for wider bars, again try if you want, you may like them, or you might find you keep hitting trees and decide they aren’t for you.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I wonder when the Short Stem = Fashion = Mocking/Condescending will stop.

Get the stem that makes the handling right on the bike. Moving the bars different amounts from the front of the bike will change how it rides.

Before you do that get the bike that is the right size. (sometimes this may be not the frame you want – hence that frame is not right for you)

cp

Cheeky plug – can do you a white Easton ea90 110mm.stem for 25 quid. See my recent ad.

mrmo
    Free Member

Get the stem that makes the handling right on the bike. Moving the bars different amounts from the front of the bike will change how it rides.

and what pray tell is the correct length of stem then?

Or maybe there is no right answer?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

and what pray tell is the correct length of stem then?

Or maybe there is no right answer?

Well done, there is no single answer, depending on what you are doing how you ride the bike etc. it could be any number of things. Thats my point – things like short stems = fashion doesn’t help. In my general experience stem length variations of 10-20mm go fine and don’t drastically change a bike. Buying something too small and throwing a massive stem on will change the handling. Conversely going the other way will be interesting too.

mrmo
    Free Member

Thats my point – things like short stems = fashion doesn’t help

but that is the point, just because everyone seems to think short is good, doesn’t make it so. It is a fashion, there was a time when 19″ bars was normal, it was fashionable to trim bars down as far as possible, again it didn’t make it right.

Manufacturers ship bikes with a stem that should be fine 90% of the time. if it isn’t quite right change it a bit, if it isn’t right by a big bit then your on the wrong bike.

JRTG
    Free Member

20″ salsa el mariachi = 110mm stem
    19.5″ trek 69er = 120mm stem
    20″ niner one nine = 100mm stem
    57cm road bike = 110mm stem
    57cm cyclocross = 90mm stem

Some bikes need longer, some shorter, if it fits you and rides well go for it!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Long Stems’ is closed to new replies.