Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Long shot – where to find a tandem seatpost with stoker stem?
  • alfabus
    Free Member

I’ve been tidying up and servicing the pashley tandem I was given at the weekend (previous thread here):

Front bars and all grips have been replaced. Next job was to sort saddle heights. The stoker post was fine, but when I tried to raise the pilot’s post, I found that it was only inserted by about 15mm!!!

I need to raise the saddle height a bit, so it looks like I’ll be needing a new post.

All the pilot/stoker bar arrangements I can find for sale seem to be separate posts and stems – this one has the saddle sitting forward of the post on a separate rail, and the stoker stem is integral.

Anyone have any idea where I could get a replacement for this from?

If I stick an inline post in, with a stoker stem attached, I’ll be too far back, and my stoker won’t have any room for her knees.

Help please!

Dave

rootes1

not the exact answer..

but this might help:

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/brompton-saddle-adaptor-pin-assembly-qsapa-prod2926/

It is the brompton saddle adapter that brings a saddle far forward on a seat post

so you could get a new seat post (old style straight without a head) fit the above to it (needs a saddle rail clip as well)

then attached a stoker stem to the seatpost.

pic of the saddle pin adapter in use – see how it moved the saddle forward

Si

nbt

JD cycles in Ilkley and SJS are the tandem guys to go to. I’ll drop a line to the Double forté tandem mailing list to see if anyone can help

deus

Thomson layback post pointed forward, and an old stem attatched to the post (possibly with a shim)?

alfabus
    Free Member

that brompton thingy might be a goer, although it looks like a right bag of spanners 😉

I’ve had a look at the sjs website already, may have to give them a call to see if they’ve got anything knocking around that might help.

This is just a pub/shops hack tandem, so a thomson is a bit OTT 🙂

I have ridden it as it is, and being all steel, I’m not that worried about things bending – so one option is to just put up with having my saddle a bit low.

Cheers guys,
    Dave

rootes1

that brompton thingy might be a goer, although it looks like a right bag of spanners

You’ll keep then existing look then 😆

Si

alfabus
    Free Member

You’ll keep then existing look then

it’s a fair cop, guv’ 😀

TiRed

There are tandem-specific post adaptors for mounting stoker handlebars to seatposts. The one on your tandem is a very old design. SJS cycles can supply you with the appropriate design for £25. You’ll need a new seatpost as well,of course.

EDIT: OH and get a set of stoker bars to go with it. Hands are then placed forward rather than back – this assumes you have reasonable width hips 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Long shot – where to find a tandem seatpost with stoker stem?’ is closed to new replies.