Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Long shot – Travel to from Trieste to Ljubljana??
  • NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

I'll be surprised if anyone knows the answer to this, but here goes….

Im off to Slovenia next month, and flying into Trieste. Next day will be travelling over the border to Ljubljana. However, despite a fair bit of googling its not clear the best method of making the trip. Ideally would like to take the train as we're staying right by the station.

Anyone made this journey/got any tips?

5lab

I've driven it, but that's probably not much help. Try wikitravel – its normally good for this kinda info (getting there for ljubljana for instance)

konabunny
    Free Member

I've done the Trieste to Croatia border hop a couple of times. Just checked on the Deutsche Bahn website (essential for any European training!) and it confirms what I half-remembered: the railway "doesn't go the right way" from Trieste. It's 4-6 hours by train to cover an hour's drive!

Take the coach instead. IIRC Trieste has a small bus station and buses leave all the time. Probably the timetable is online now, it wasn't before.

anagallis_arvensis

I've cycled it. Would be suprised if you couldnt get a bus or a train. You will have to get a bus from Trieste airport to Trieste anyway. If its Ryan Airs idea of trieste you might be better off getting a bus to Nova Gorica then the Ljubliana.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Number 64 bus from outside the post office.

peteimpreza

Hello,
    it was a few years ago but I caught a train from Trieste to Maribor. If it does't go to Lju first, Maribor has direct trains to Ljubljana.
    I think it was the train that goes between Venice and Slovenia. Sorry it's a bit vague!
    Jackie

edit; just looked it up – this is the website you need.

ljubljana travel

meehaja
    Free Member

direct train from the staion in trieste to Ljubijana, takes ages as they stopped at the border and checked passports last time I went over. You get a nice stamp in your passport and take some food as it really can take ages!

Also, I slept in a hedge in trieste as all hotels/hostels were full, down by the wter front at the bottom of the cliffs, it was lovely and smelt of fresh mint. well recommended!

benworkhr
    Free Member

You could try getting the bus/train to Koper in Slovenia (10km away) and then the train direct to Ljubijana. I think there are 5/6 trains to Ljubljana a day from Koper

beb

just check if you're planning to travel on a sunday. We arrived on a sunday and had to stay the night in Trieste and got the bus the next day as there was nothing running.

All worked out really well in the end, some of the best pizza I've ever eaten, washed down by a nice cold beer watching the sun set and finished off with an amazing tiramisu 🙂

konabunny
    Free Member

thought it was very interesting that everything got much cleaner and pleasant once you crossed the border into Slovenia…

coffeeking
    Free Member

I've driven it (well, to Bovec) but never taken any public transport, sorry. I will say make sure all your paperwork is 100% spot on, we were stuck in no-mans-land because despite checking the paperwork for our hire car didn't mention slovenia as covered in insurance and so the Italians let us out but the Slovenians wouldn't let us in until they'd sat on teh phone for 3 hours discussing it with the hire company.

NWAlpsJeyerakaBoz
    Free Member

Cheers lads, some good links there. After speaking to an Italian colleague at work, i have managed to translate a webpage and got a bus booked.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Long shot – Travel to from Trieste to Ljubljana??’ is closed to new replies.