Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Long shot – name this book
  • TheFlyingOx

I thought it was called ‘Leonardo Da Vinci’s Fantastic Animals’, but that’s not coming up with anything. It doesn’t help that I can only vaguely remember some parts of it.

Each page had a different creature on it with a bit of a story/info about that creature. Ones I remember are:

Chameleon – except this kind could fly higher than any other living thing.

Some kind of buffalo/wildebeest – its front legs didn’t bend so it had to straddle water like a giraffe to drink, and its defence mechanism was acid/fire poop that scorched the ground as it ran away.

Asp – like a very big snake but with giant bat ears.

A white, glowing heron-type bird.

I think there was one thing that roamed the streets at night looking for people who were still awake, and cut holes in the stomachs of those it found. I maybe remember this thing pulling a cart behind it.

Is it ringing any bells? I know it terrified me as a child, and I want to share that fear with my son.

kcal

can’t help, but my dad had an old copy of Struwellpeter (shock headed Peter) and it has always disturbed me – its not the exaggerated Gothic horror storybook with light relief for me – its the stuff of deep seated nightmares. I can look at it now, but I find it beyond macabre – really unsettling. One of those things.. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Struwwelpeter

biglee1

Saw the title and was gonna suggest Booky mcBookBook 🙁

cdoc
    Free Member

That one?

AlexSimon

I know it terrified me as a child, and I want to share that fear with my son.

lol
    Sounds good. Got to be worth a punt at £2.81 from Amazon.

cdoc
    Free Member

The one that disturbed me as a child was ‘The Peacock Party’.

Beautiful, but oddly dark images.

TheFlyingOx

That one?

Yeah, that one. I have no idea how I couldn’t find it given it’s called what I thought it was. Cheers!

choppersquad
    Free Member

Biglee1 should win a prize for making me chuckle.

biglee1

Thanks 😀 😀

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Long shot – name this book’ is closed to new replies.