Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • long shot….. killing the rain sensor in VW T5.
  • alpin
    Free Member

my van has a rain sensor. yay. or not. it is crap. when on, the rain sensor picks up a few drops, the wipers sweep, second pause. sweep again. then go into crazy mode and just keep whishing to and fro like they’re posessed. particularily annoying when there is only a little spray and the wipers are going like the clappers.

if the stalk is in the first position the wipers are controlled by the sensor. in the second postion the wipers are on to-and-fro mode, thrid position is hyper mode.

anyone know how to switch the sensor off so that i can manually adjust the interval?

stalk look like this:

Andyhilton
    Free Member

You could pull the fuse. Fuse 21 in Fusebox C.

Andyhilton
    Free Member

Fusebox c should be in the centre dash panel. I can have a look if you want. It’s raining and I’d rather not go outside 🙂

alpin
    Free Member

nice! was hoping it may be something as simple as that…. but, will it allow me to manually set the interval?

njee20
    Free Member

You’re aware the thingy on top is the sensitivity of the rain sensor? Move it left to make it less sensitive. I’ve had 3 VWs with auto wipers and they’ve all worked very well.

You will not be able to have a manual intermittent wipe by just pulling the fuse. You’ll have no intermittent setting at all.

Drac

What njee says. On about my 8th VAG with them and they work flawlessly.

alpin
    Free Member

hmm… mine is pants.

yes, i know that the little thingy adjusts the sensitivity, but it doesn’t seem to have any affect on the sensor.

regardless of where the little lever sits the function is the same. a little rain, it the wipers come on and work as expected, but once there is spray they go crazy, like in hyper mode. drives me nutz.

ChrisL

The ones on my Skoda are pretty erratic too. The sensitivity adjustment usually produces a range from “really pretty sensitive” to “wiping manically if there’s any water within 100 miles”.

andydicko
    Free Member

Ensure the screen is clean, the sensor works on a prism, if there is grease or a film on the sensor it will confuse it. Use vinegar to clean it.

alpin
    Free Member

hmmm… have just taken the whole mirror/sensor cluster apart and given the sensor a clean with vinegar. there was a sticky stuff/glue in there holding the sensor in place (the screen has been replaced). i’ve removed this and used small sections of the stcky stuff on the outside of the sensro to hold it in place. maybe after a clean it’ll perform better. tomorrow rain is forecast, so i’ll report back then….

cheers.

andy8442
    Free Member

I have to agree with the OP, both my T6 and wife’s Touran have this feature and it rarely does what you would expect of it.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘long shot….. killing the rain sensor in VW T5.’ is closed to new replies.