Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Long shot – anyone in La Gomera in January?
  • TheFlyingOx

Heading over there 10-17 January and have 4 days of biking booked with a guide. There are 2 of us and he normally does groups of 3-6, so was wondering if anyone was around those dates and fancied making up a bigger group?

Dickyboy

That’s quite some longshot – happy memories lovely island 🙂

revs1972
    Free Member

I can see the island from my hotel room in Tenerife right now

mrlinderley
    Free Member

Which guide are you using flying? My parents go there quite a bit and say it’s good mtbing terrain but I didn’t think there was any guiding going on.

TheFlyingOx

Bike Station Gomera is the guide, in Valle Gran Rey. Deutschsprachig nur, leider für mich, but luckily I have a tame German speaker to help translate.

Was a kind of spur of the moment thing but really looking forward to it. Never been biking abroad before.

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

I remember La Gomera featuring on a holiday program ~10 years ago, very different rain forest feel compared to the other Canary Isles, would love to visit sometime.

Enjoy!

Potdog
    Free Member

Take your climbing legs with you 😀

kingkongsfinger
    Free Member

MTB’d there about 17 years ago, very hilly, very quite and very beautiful. Awesome view high up looking back at Teide.

dirkdestijl
    Free Member

La Gomera is on the to-do list – in fact looking for something like this for my Birthday in Jan. What are the best logistics I wonder – Package Holiday or easyjet Flight to Tennriffe South and ferry over and find accomodation/AirB&B?

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Crashtestmonkey and I wanted to go to La Gomera to do a ride that was in Cyclist Magazine when we were out in Tenerife earlier in the year. SO we pedaled to ferry to suss out tickets ready for the following date, route plotted etc… they wanted £80 EACH for a flipping return ferry ticket as a foot passenger. I mean WTAF They are trying to promote environmentally friendly ways of traveling and you think we are going to pay £80 each for a return ticket when I’m on a push bike… you’re having a LAUGH!!!

So be warned stupidly expensive.

csb

Not aware there is much package holidaying there, you can’t fly direct and the only tourists we saw who weren’t backpacker types were on day coach tours from tenerifeeee.

It’s an amazing place, weird jungle, epic walking with proper remoteness and cowboy canyons. Didn’t see any cycling, or much that would be offroadable. Going back to Tenerife after 3 weeks was culture shock.

Dickyboy

So be warned stupidly expensive.

Not sure there is any other way of getting there than ferry, so captive audience an all that…

Munqe-chick
    Free Member

Exactly Dickyboy so we refused to go! £80 each for food passengers is a complete pi** take!!

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Long shot – anyone in La Gomera in January?’ is closed to new replies.