Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Long shot – anyone holidayed at Villeneuve de Berg near Montelimar in Ardeche?
  • Christowkid
    Free Member

Hi All,
    I realise this is a *very* long shot but ……
    We've seen a campsite at Villeneuve de Berg , due west of Montlimar in the Ardeche, and it's caught our eye.
    I've just got through the post some Serie Bleue maps of the area and it looks 'interesting', with lots of ravines marked! If anything it looks a bit gulp inducing.
    It's an area of France I've not been to before, though friends go canoeing there.
    Anyone holidayed there?
    General advice?
    Biking any good?
    …. just thought I'd ask the assembled masses whilst I munch my toast!
    cheers
    Q

unstableJ
    Free Member

My folks live a little bit north of there up in the Ardeche hills near to Valance. Generally a good spot for warm (sometimes a bit too warm, can top 40 in early August) and dry weather.

Easy to get there off the A7, although avoid it on weekends in August when the entire population if France seems to use it to drive to the Med!

There's plenty of riding and excellent walking across the Ardeche if you're willing to ride up hill, might need to do a bit of your own research (local Office Du Tourism nearly always have walking maps that are pretty easy to figure out biking routes from if they don't have specific bike trails on them). Terrain is steep and rocky, pretty harsh on kit and you, you'll appreciate full suss.

Nice part of the world the Dutch are everywhere, as with most of the south of France, but not really that crowded.

Best time to go is spring if you have a choice May, June. There's a fair bit of hunting goes on in the Autumn and July and August can be very hot.

Christowkid
    Free Member

Unstable:
    thanks for the info….
    I guessed it would be warm as we've been to the Dordogne a couple of summers back and it seems to be east of that on the same level.
    We have no choice but to go in the summer hols, so will take note about weekend travelling. My friend's son took a day just to get aound Paris the other summer, travelling on a weekend, so had heard it gets silly.
    Thamks too for the tip about terrain, my maps looks like they've got mole hills all over and a spider's walked in circles with brown ink!! yes, it looks somewhat hilly.
    thank you
    Q

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

The topic ‘Long shot – anyone holidayed at Villeneuve de Berg near Montelimar in Ardeche?’ is closed to new replies.