• This topic has 17 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by DrJ.
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Long-shot: Anyone here in the Geology or hydrology field?
  • mikey74
    Free Member

Are they good sectors to get into?

I am a Senior Architectural technician who is looking to change my career.

Is late 30s too late to start studying for such a field? I do have some background in Geography as it was my minor at Uni, as well as my favourite subject at A-Level.

I am looking at a distance learning diploma, offered by the LSE, for starters, and maybe moving on to either an Undergraduate or Post-graduate qualification at the OU in Environmental Science.

ampthill

The people I know who work in these fields are all geology graduates. Although that’s partly as i seem to know lots of Geology graduates

You should talk to the Open University, amongst others, about whether you can use some of your Geography from your first degree as credits towards a Geology degree.

Failing that can you find a taught masters in the areas that interest you

Finally whatever qualification you choose I’m sure time in the field is going to be a big deal

eat_more_cheese
    Free Member

Hi, I’m not in sector anymore, probably for the same reason you want to leave architecture. I did a Bsc in environment sci and geology and worked as a geological land surveyor for a few years. Loved the theory side of it, but got disillusioned with the career. Would of had to do 10 years further study to get anywhere near chartered status and even then salary was poor in comparison to other jobs.
    My fellow students all struggled to get jobs in the sector-and all had to make major lifestyle/location upheavals to live where the jobs were. Interestingly the best salaried friends now are in the private sector selling environmental components to industry and new housing estates to better their ‘environmental impact’. There’s a lot of money to be had in shit apparently!

Rickos
    Free Member

Munrobiker to the thread please!

mwleeds

I’m a geologist in the oil and gas industry. I graduated from Southampton with an MGeol 8 years ago. There’s plenty of work in the oil and gas sector though competition for jobs is high. I cant comment on the environmental sector but I’d imagine graduates of environmental science degrees are numerous.

Environmental science and geology encompass a lot of different fields. Any ideas what you’re most interested in?

+1 for higher level courses.

For example. We employ one guy who was a chemist (lab manager) and then re-trained as a geologist through the course of a phD. I know several people who have done similar. Admittedly chemistry to geology is less of a jump than architecture to geology but if your interests lie in engineering/environmental geology it may be possible to enroll on a master course or similar with your current degree particularly if you can demonstrate a solid understanding of maths/physics.

Whilst I’m glad I studied geology at uni and wouldn’t be where I am now without it, it’s not the most transferable of subjects. I think the fact that it’s a little bit of chemistry, physics, biology, maths and geography all rolled into one actually makes it weaker (apart from biology and geography obviously ;)). I think having a maths, physics or chemistry degree would have provided more options. This echoes my previous comments geology and environmental science are very broad subjects so it would be worth attempting to focus your efforts on a specific area that interests you. Find out who the companies in that field employ and go from there.

longmover
    Free Member

Geologist here, what I have found is that in the UK the money is crap, if you want to earn reasonable money you will have to go into mining or oil &gas, but then it will be long periods away from home and long hours.

benjamins11
    Free Member

Ex geologist here. As above interesting work, high competition for jobs money not great working in environmental stuff. Can’t comment about oil gas, think that might be the smarter move.

woodlikesbeer
    Free Member

I did some Geology modules at uni but stayed in Marine Biology. The wife works for an oil and gas survey company. On the geophys survey side the money is good (£80K+, but you do have to like working offshore, on boats and be away from home a lot (at least 6-10 months to earn the big money). Works for some, not for others. Not a good sector if you don’t already have a partner. A friend from uni went into precious minerals. He is minted.

Hydrology is similar to any other environmental science – do it because you love it. Just don’t expect to earn a lot.

stevew
    Free Member

Geology degree and concentrated on hydrology type modules as that’s what interested me. Did a hydrology msc(eng) degree after which opened up engineering and hydrology routes for me.

I have been a flood risk engineer and manager now for 15 years and love it.

Still interested in geology but have to admit I remember very little detail.

Manchester is a great geology department too.

konagirl
    Free Member

Worked as an Environmental Consultant for 5 years in hydrology and hydrogeology, now in air quality. As has been said, the consultancy type work isn’t as well paid as oil & gas or mining, but does have the benefit of not working rotas in the field. If you are good, you can be choose to go in the field a lot or stay at home more. Very interesting, wide array of work. As an idea of salary, first year graduates working on contaminated land assessments (mostly geologists) might earn £20k. If you become a modeller (mathematics / physics background) you can earn more from the start. After 5 years I earned around £30k at project management level. Our most senior technical staff earned £50-60k but had to take on management responsibilities too. This was north of England about 5 years ago, but I don’t believe there have been any pay rises since. I believe the EA’s (or SEPA’s) pay scales are reasonably easy to find, and they pay less than consultancies, but have a much better benefits package (flexitime, holidays, ok pension).

I mentioned here recently there is a hydrogeology degree in Birmingham which is well received. Also geophysics is a much rarer skill than geology and seems to open doors in oil & gas (if you are good).

bland

Second what you say about the brim masters in hydrology.

Have a think about what you want to do and work backwards. I entered via the contam land route and then went landfill construction and now more management. Its crap pay in the uk really as there is not much going on and a rather large pool, however if you are prepared to travel to odd ball places the money is good, pay based on commodities largely so it is generally higher and similar world wide once you leave the uk from experience.

Great degree but try focus it rather than just straight geol

rob2
    Free Member

I’m a hydrologist and worked in the water sector for the last 20years. 12 of which for a water company leading their water resource plans, asset strategy and planning department.

The water sector has big skills gaps coming up in the next 5-10years as people retire – especially around water quality, process modelling, network modelling.

If it was me I’d look into water treatment process (indeed I am thinking this myself). Good people are like hen’s teeth. Loads of jobs in uk and overseas. There are lots of hydrologists about and they’ll be consultancy jobs but you’ll have much less competition and more choice in more operational areas*

*hydrology work goes in cycles in the sector depending if it’s floods or droughts, time of company business plans Overseas the culture to the importance of hydrology is different. Operational experience is needed all the time and increasingly rare.

WildHunter2009

Work as a site investigation / engineering geologist here. Spent 3 years doing it in the UK and coming up to 3 years in Western Australia now. Money in the UK was pretty terrible and be prepared to work really, really long hours, loads of driving, and in any weather. I enjoyed it but it has its low points. Massively contaminated sites in mid summer wearing haz suits.

Working in WA the moneys much better but pretty much all the work involves working away for sometimes long periods of time. Pretty tough on partners. I would say look at a global climate map, find the countries with tough weather and thats where the jobs are dammit.

To be honest im considering getting out of it.

longmover
    Free Member

I agree with Wildhunter, I am also thinking about getting out. Not sure what else I will do though.

sprocker
    Free Member

Geology graduate but never done anything with it as all the jobs were overseas when I left university in 2000. Went into engineering then the civil service and now fixing bikes. My mate who graduated works in landfill but it is quite project management based rather than the actual science. It is an interesting subject though and I often wish I could have done something based round the subject.

neilco
    Free Member

BSc Geology / MSc Geophysics here. Worked in oil industry 15 years. Five as geophysicist, ten as apps/data person. Whilst there is a skill shortage, it’s also a very traditional industry and I have never seen anyone break in as a later starter. Doesn’t mean it can’t be done though. As an slightly different approach, every company I have worked for still has a draughting/cartography department, which I image would make good use of your existing skillset whilst enabling you to move industry?

mikey74
    Free Member

Hmmm doesn’t sound too promising, really. I am single, so working away is not a problem, but this time of life (wow, that’s really old thing to say) I can’t really afford to mess up this decision.

I enjoy the subject, so I might just do the diploma course for something to occupy my brain, and see how it goes from there.

Thanks for the input.

DrJ

What neilco said.

As a slightly different approach, every company I have worked for still has a draughting/cartography department, which I image would make good use of your existing skillset whilst enabling you to move industry?

Also – there is often need for TAs, which could be a good way to get your foot in the door.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Long-shot: Anyone here in the Geology or hydrology field?’ is closed to new replies.