Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • (long post) Help please – anyone good at DT hubs ?
  • scaredypants

I’ve an oldish pair of hubs that have joint DT/Hayes branding, front looks remarkably like this:

2008 11 007

It takes a 20mm axle but I’ve lost the spacer & dust cap from one side, as shown on the pic – it leaves just the exposed bearing dust shield

emailled Madison, who told me it was identical to a 240s & gave me a link to a part but their link to DT site was invalid. emailed them again, saying it looked different but got no reply

I found a part (by looking at DT diagrams though these weren’t all that clear)
    What I have is this, which DT describe as for a 240s:

http://www.dtswiss.com/Products/Accessories-(1)/Hub-Conversion-Kits/Conversion-Kit-240s-oversize-TA-front.aspx
    (edit; link doesn’t work automatically. try a pic hotlink)

Trouble is, it’s unsuitable for my hub (it has some kind of internal thread that presumably screws onto hub body, but my hub has no threaded section). When I tighten the 20mm axle the new part crushes onto the bearing shield (not the internal solid “axle” bit) and the wheel barely turns)

Does anyone know what I actually need ??

mboy
    Free Member

It looks quite similar to the current 340S 20mm front hub

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=10260

Or indeed the Onyx

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=8202

Both of these have push on 20mm adapters AFAIK

I’ve got “Magura” branded hubs myself by the way, which I was told were “totally different” to DT hubs when I bought them by the importers at a bike show… Closer inspection, and some through axle adapters later, revealed that they are in fact just a DT440FR (very nice hub!) rebadged with Magura logos! The stories some people will try and spin you indeed…

mboy
    Free Member

Oh, and looks like you’ve got some of these…

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=23967

Specifically the 240S one like you say.

FWIW, I’ve got the 440 20mm adapters, and they do not have a thread on at all. Might be worth trying them if you can find some in stock somewhere!

scaredypants

cheers gents

mboy – yours look like this ?:

DO you know if the internal diameter of the “inner end” is 20mm, or does it flare out a bit? (that’s what’s wrong with the ones I’ve got, it’s flared & so presses on the bearing shield & not the inner race of the bearing)

mboy
    Free Member

Yup those are what’s fitted to my front hub exactly.

Internal Diameter of the “inner end” (by which I assume you mean the closest to the hub) flares out a bit. It’s only the outer end of the caps that is 20mm Internally.

Where are you Scaredypants? If you’re anywhere near me, you’re more than welcome to pop round and see if my adapters will fit your hub before you commit to buying anything.

scaredypants

Southampton/Pompey area ?

the flare is a worry, as my existing one doesn’t do so at all. It presses right against the bearing race at the axle’s edge (what fills the “gap” in your case? do your bearings have an extra thick inner race for the spacer to press against ??)

thanks for the offer, I’m guessing you’re miles away
    (besides, I can always order & send back if I do find someone with stock)

mboy
    Free Member

Miles away indeed, sorry (Midlands).

It’s hard to describe, but basically the hub has its own axle if you get me. This kind of protrudes out a little bit from the hub bearings, and this is what the end caps press fit onto (and hence the rubber O rings on the inside of the inside edge of the end caps). It’s the ID of this internal axle that’s 20mm along it’s length, the end caps don’t really matter as such other than they have to space the hub accordingly to where it needs to sit on the fork axle. If that makes sense!

scaredypants

yes mate, that’s what I thought – and what I asked Madison about

looks like I may just be fecked then 😥

scaredypants

tiny bumpette to see if the weekend shift has any bright ideas, please?

(how much would it cost to have something machined as a one-off ?)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘(long post) Help please – anyone good at DT hubs ?’ is closed to new replies.