Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Long Mynd with a beginner?
  • mark88

Any Shropshire locals able to advise on a route suitable for a beginner? My girlfriend has been round the blue at Swinley, she is fit enoug but wouldn’t be confident on any hard descents

el_boufador

Its been a while since i have been, but so far as I remember it ain’t technical, even Minton Batch is all rollable / blue level from what I remember

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

I would park in Little Stretton, ride to Minton, up the forest climb, around the glider station, up on the road to Pole Bank and down Smallbatch. A decent length route that’s all steady and non-technical.

jekkyl

Yeah the forest climb is scenic, easy and fun but I would go down minton batch, it’s not rocky technical it’s just fast, or slow if you want it to be. If you don’t do minton batch you might feel like you’ve not had your reward. Minton batch is right at the bottom of the glider hill so if you climb through the forest and down the batch the ride will around 1hr so perhaps have a roll up to the summit cairn and then back down to the batch. I could probably help you with a gpx that could be adapted, email on profile if you like.

martinhutch

Minton Batch is pretty much all rollable with care, just one loose corner near the top IIRC.

However, for an almost completely untechnical ride, the descent at the north end of the Mynd going towards All Stretton is a grassy romp for the most part.

The forest climb is definitely the way to go though, steady all the way.

v8ninety

Disagree that Minton is suitable for (absolute) beginners. I speak from experience. Took my young lady on the exact route described above, (Forest ascent-back of the glider club-Pole bank-Minton Batch) and whilst I enjoyed it, the only bit she didn’t really enjoy was Minton Batch. She’s a fairly game lass, but some of the rocky bits right next to the drop down into the stream were a bit too technical and psyched her out a bit. She did it, but slooooowly… It all depends on how ‘beginner’ your beginner is, and also how keen they are to experience actual off road cycling (ooh that’s a bit technical/narrow/swoopy, need to apply a little more skill/balance than just riding off a kerb), as opposed to cycling in the counryside (ahh, pretty views, ooh look a sheep, this would be a nice spot for a picnic).

It aint technical

It IS for an actual beginner.

Long Mynd is a gorgeous place though; one of my absolute fave places in the world. Small Batch descent would be my reccommendation for an absolute beginner.

Scamper
    Free Member

Used to live over by the long mind when I started mountain biking and funnily enough I’ve just moved to Swinley. Swinley blue is nice smooth and swoopy. For a beginner, Minton batch isn’t. The climb up through the forest and ride round the back of the gliding club (not across it as you don’t get the best views) is a starter.I’d then go to pole bank, turn round and down small batch, and even that I think has its moments for a beginner. The ride mentioned above into all stretton is nice and open with great views. However there is a rock step near the bottom leading onto some lovely singletrack – a nice challenge for a beginner as less ‘rocky’ than Minton.

mark88

Thanks all. We have all day so might have a go on small batch first and if that goes OK then have a ride down Minton batch.

jamj1974

Long Mynd is a gorgeous place though; one of my absolute fave places in the world.

Me too. I love it. Was over there yesterday. My own idea of heaven.

Esme
    Free Member

I really enjoyed the descents to Minton and Little Stretton (8 and 9 on the map).
    Easy but lots of fun!

_tom_
    Free Member

I went as a relative beginner and loved it. As above its one of my favourite places to ride, really nice scenery and the trails are fun.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Route “9” above is Smallbatch by the way.

jakd95
    Free Member

Following 11-12-14 down is reasonably gentle. 9 is great though, probably my favourite descent on the Mynd. It’s an absolutely beautiful place, my favourite place to be.

I’ve always called 9 Callow Hill.

TrailriderJim
    Free Member

Yep, also called Callow Hill 🙂

walleater

The grassy / doubletrack descent from the top down to Inwood was always a laugh on a rigid or short travel bike. Now everyone rides to the shops on $10000 enduro bikes it might not be so much fun. Depends what you ride.

_tom_
    Free Member

^I did a 25-ish miler there on my Voltage FR and it was still fun. The climbs were a bit painful but doable. Climbing is always shit anyway, and I had just as much fun on that ride as I did when I did it on a hardtail. Probably more so actually.

sofabear
    Free Member

Coincidentally, I was in Ludlow this weekend visiting friends and had the chance to go for a ride with a few locals.

I thought we’d be heading to Long Mynd but the locals reckon it’s over-rated so we spent a few hours in Mortimer Forest. Still had a good day mind. 🙂

mark88

Thanks for the help. Gf hired a bike from Blazing Bikes, so we set off from there, climbed a very steep grassy hill then through the forest to the gliding club then across the road and down a grassy descent. Followed the road and climbed upto Shooting Box and down descent 8 on that map.

It was Easter Saturday so weather stole the show. It was pretty bad when we set off and got progressively worse. She had done well on the first descent, and she wanted to try Minton Batch, but we were so cold and wet I thought it best to just get her off the hill so we took the easier descent.

I’d love to come and explore properly in decent weather, looks like there’s some brilliant riding.
    On that map, which is Forest Climb?

martinhutch

On that map, which is Forest Climb?

You can take either fire road towards the glider club.

Scamper
    Free Member

Sounds like you went down zig zags when crossing road at glider club.

jekkyl

Going down 8 is a waste of the climb, the very worst descent imo, short and not for a beginner at all due to the very steepness of the bit at the end. It’s all fun and games though, least you got out in it and the mynd is a great wild place to be out on.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP thanks for update, its a pity the weather was bad as its a magical place on a clear-ish day. We took a long detour to stop there a few years ago and we are very glad we did. Have to go back

mark88

Going down 8 is a waste of the climb, the very worst descent imo, short and not for a beginner at all due to the very steepness of the bit at the end

At that point we just wanted to get off the hill, worst conditions I’ve ever been riding in, so I figured the double track would be quickest way down.

mark88

Sounds like you went down zig zags when crossing road at glider club.

I’m not 100% but I think it was the bridleway from the view point. We were aiming for Zig Zags but I think we missed a turn off on the climb, we left the gliding club through the main entrance road.

Scamper
    Free Member

Ah in that case no, zig zags is before gliding club – top of forest climb and straight on through 2 sets of gates rather than turning right across the gliding club run way.

mark88

Completely off topic, but we fell in love with this place which we drove past a few times over the weekend.

http://www.samuelwood.co.uk/property_sales_details/26161180/The-Threshing-Barn-Asterton-Lydbury-North

If someone would be kind enough to buy it for me and hold onto it until I’m able to work completely remotely, it would be greatly appreciated!

scruff
    Free Member

I tried climbing back up via the golf club last week and it sucked, wish I’d tried my 1x40t (pushed) up cardigan Valley.

jamj1974

Lovely place Mark.

mark88

I tried climbing back up via the golf club last week and it sucked, wish I’d tried my 1x40t (pushed) up cardigan Valley.

We walked up Cardigan Valley then up the path past right of the reservoir. Lovely walk but very steep to be carrying a bike up!

Walked down the footpath alongside Town Brook and very sad to see no cycling signs, that would be a lovely piece of singletrack.

scruff
    Free Member

Yes it would 😉

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘Long Mynd with a beginner?’ is closed to new replies.