• This topic has 63 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 10 years ago by hora.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)
  • Long Mynd t0day – beyond fantastic [PICS]
  • Alex

Not been for four years. It’s one hour from my door. Minton Batch is right up there with my favourite natural singletrack. And the views.. staggering. Want to go back tomorrow.

Long Mynd – WMB Classic Ride by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

So much more to go and ride. And we shall be 🙂

Last three weekends have been Wales (wet), Quantocks (dusty) and Long Mynd (just Awesome). I don’t want summer to end.

_tom_
    Free Member

Looks brilliant! I’ve only been to the mynd twice and loved it, really need to go again asap!

PhilC
    Free Member

Looks great. We were there about 10 days ago and it was more like water skiing than riding. It absolutely binned it down, nothing to see but clouds. Must go back on a decent day!

maxtorque

Good fun day out on the Mynd, lots of climbing = lots of descending! 😉

Alex

Lovely today. Headwind on the tops seemed to be in our faces all day long but small price to pay for sunshine. Bits of mud under the trees but descents were all superb. It’s a lot wilder than the Malverns. Sort of like a mini-Wales really.

Alex

Last three weekends we’ve done 1000m+ climbing and descending. Malverns are pretty steep so I’m used to it but legs toast today. Not sure I could have made another climb after three monsters!

fervouredimage
    Free Member

I’ve yet to experience the Mynd in the dry but it’s on my wish list. Looks like today would have been ideal.

bikebouy
    Free Member

* is homesick.

Alex

🙂 same for me with the quantocks last week. Never been in the dry as far as I can remember. Bike came back dusty! Still Wales the week before was about the wettest ride I’ve ever done!

Quantocks August 2013 by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

See? Dry!

_tom_
    Free Member

How bad an idea would going on a singlespeed be? My only geared mtb is a dh bike, the light hardtail is ss! I can’t remember the steepness of the climbs -I’m usually ok on ss if its long and steady but steep kills my legs.

Alex

Hmm. I;m sure it could be done but I ride most of the Malverns in the top ring on a 2×10 on a 29er, but used my granny ring A LOT today. Mate on a single ring (34 front) found it tough in places. So might be doable but not by me!

GolfChick
    Free Member

Hmm I’ve never been the mynd riding but I might try and get over there soon, on a dog free weekend of course.

jamj1974

My favourite place to ride bar none! From my perspective singlespeed would be tough!

funkrodent

Rode there recently for the first time. Really enjoyed it and Minton Batch is great, fast, flowing singletrack with a few surprises. Some very steep sections of climb though, gears highly recommended!

_tom_
    Free Member

I remember struggling with 1×9 when I was there before but both me and my bike were a lot heavier and I was a lot less fit!

wolfenstein
    Free Member

Where is the best place to park my car to ride here?

jamj1974

I use the car park at the bottom of Long Batch.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

How far is it from blazing bike shop ?

hora
    Free Member

Great pics. Got the route?

jamj1974

Never been to the shop. Sorry…

Alex

Shop’s great. We all spent some money in there this morning. Cafe is good too. And the pub next door has lovely beer. Anyway I digress, you can park at the shop and head up the road, finish about 2k (bottom of the batch) away on return.

We used the What MTB route: http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/wmb151-long-mynd-classic which is great, but we went a bit off piste and found some stuff we’d really like to come down next time including one of the descents on the Singetrack Route (I think another mate did it last week and it was even more of a monster)

Dickyboy

glad you had a good time OP – meanwhile to balance things out, I had driven up from the chilterns for the weekend but found out on saturdays ride that I had forgotten to tighten my chainring bolts & two had fallen out 😳 no access to internet & no idea where local bike shops were meant me & fannygirl had to resort to walking today only to discover mid 4hr walk that Wenlock Edge pub was shut 🙁 oh & my camelback bladder split & gave me a wet arse too 👿

jamj1974

I’ve been told the shop is run by Sandy. Anyone know if that’s the case?

jkomo

That looks amazing.

goldenwonder
    Free Member

jamj1974 – Member
    I’ve been told the shop is run by Sandy. Anyone know if that’s the case?

Nope, Sandy runs The Trailhead in Shrewsbury-awesome little place.
    Don’t know the guys at blazing bikes, sorry.

poonprice
    Free Member

How far is it from blazing bike shop ?

Quick ride up the road, I parked up at the shop and took the Banshee Rune out on demo.

Alex

They had a Bronson to demo as well if that’s your kind of thing 😉

Dickeyboy – that’s a tough old weekend 🙁

bails

I was there yesterday too. Only saw 6 other bikers, despite covering 30 miles on the Ride UK bridleways and doing a lap of Eastridge. Bits of it feel very untrodden.

Gears are definitely recommended, certainly on the route we did.

jamiea
    Free Member

Looks ace! Must go back sometime, when I rode there with some mates from Uni it was an utter mudfest- one of those rides you have to laugh or you’d just cower under a tree sobbing 😆

Cheers,
    Jamie

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

Looks fun that, never ridden it before but heard good things and i’d really like to go and do a route

OP do you have a .gpx of the route you did at all?

Alex
    oscillatewildly
    Free Member

nice one alex im gonna head up there and check it out whilst its still summer

Alex

Quick Write up: http://pickled-hedgehog.com/?p=2944

Next weekend feels too far away. Think I might have to go back.

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Looks like the Qs. Is it me?

Dickyboy

aaarrgg it gets worse… just found out my sister was walking Long Mynd on Sunday & we could have joined her – she lives in Australia, is here for a month & for various reasons we will only actually be spending one day together before she leaves for home 🙁

hora
    Free Member

Thanks to this topic I’m going/staying Fri .

Any routes advice?

bullandbladder
    Free Member

Be sure “not” to descend Townbrook Hollow. Better than Minton, but sadly not a right of way 😉

hora
    Free Member

Got it 😉

Scamper
    Free Member

Townbrook will be maxed out with walkers this weekend I’d have thought.

hora
    Free Member

Solo rider crack of dawn Fri and Sat am though. Generally the only time that I get to ride is silly early or late.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 64 total)

The topic ‘Long Mynd t0day – beyond fantastic [PICS]’ is closed to new replies.