Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Long Mynd ST Classic Ride
  • excitable1
    Free Member

Anyone else tried the ride from the last issue ?

I took a day off on Friday to go down there.

Got there for 10am and couldn’t see my hand in front of my face at the top because the cloud was so low, but as I was getting the bike out the cloud lifted (a bit) so I just had the cold and wind to deal with (the met office are a bunch of lying b******s !).

I got lost twice (once at the start over the first hill and once at the end in the ‘forest’) but other than that really easy to navigate.

The trails are like nothing else I’ve done before. Despite the damp conditions the ground is really hard almost all along the route. Those same weather conditions in the Lakes, NW or the Peaks would undoubtably result in the Somme effect. In fact if anything the short grass, wet and hard ground make the ride a little skitty.

Loved the descent to Little Stretton and the descent down Minton Batch is also good but needs to be tried in the dry.

I had planned on doing some extra drops off the back of the gliders club but as it says in the article there’s something out there that saps you energy and I couldn’t be arsed with another climb to the top… maybe in the summer.

4.5hrs including the two diversions at either end, so I think the 6.5hrs quoted in the article is a mis print.

From what I saw there is loads of extra routes out there. There seemed to be lengths of ST almost everywhere I looked. Has anyone any maps etc they want to share ?

Been riding for 6 years now and can’t believe I’d never ventured here. Long Mynd cherry popped I’ll definitely be back !

jimster
    Free Member

Is this the same route that was featured in issue 37?

acjim
    Free Member

Cracking spot isn’t it – there are some techy trails in the woods at the southern end (enduro motorbike trails i think) and loads of footpaths, best to keep to the ones further out from Church Stretton though! (loads of walkers)

Well worth a trip to Bringewood too for some steeper gnarlier stuff.

excitable1
    Free Member

Yes. With a few diversions at either end !

there are some techy trails in the woods at the southern end (enduro motorbike trails i think)

Spotted these, I thought they looked like the fair hand of MTB’rs. Would have tried a few out but I was pretty knackered by that point.

1hr 20mins from home too. I need to do some exploring !

excitable1
    Free Member

Sorry, I can ride a bike but find numbers quite hard 😳 !. No it’s not the one from issue 37, it’s the Classic Ride from the last issue 69.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Long Mynd ST Classic Ride’ is closed to new replies.