Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Long Mynd Saturday – opinions required
  • votchy
    Free Member

With the forecast for the weekend showing still a bit breezy would you venture to the Mynd for an mtb ride? Only been once and the top is very exposed, we are planning on doing the Long Mynd and Devils Chair route. Will take us about 1.5hrs to drive there, will it be worth it or best left for another day? We are not worried about rain and mud, just thinking it might be rubbish with the wind and a long way to go to abandon a ride due to conditions?

jekkyl

You could always go round eastridge woods if the winds really bad & there’s another set of trails a bit smaller to the south of the minge, forget the name now.

Speshpaul

at the moment it still looks windy for saturday, so the mynd and the stiperstones will be exposed.
    its been very wet here, most of the semi-metalled tracks are in ok shape, but the more fieldie bits are terrible. i’m thinking of the climb from Hollies farm up the stipertones, that will be a mess. you might want to look at your route and take in some tarmac for your climbs.

eastridge, there is still trees down from the last storms we had, so i would be surprised if theres more down this morning, well it blow trees down in our street and i’m 1mile from eastridge.
    Ride-able yes but be on the look out.

so yes all rideable but its the weather is still bad on saturday prepare for some character building 😀

votchy
    Free Member

Thanks guys, not familiar with the area so will have to look at the bits you have named on the route map and see what our options are 😕

Speshpaul

if you want to post the route (or email it to me) i can suggest a few alternatives.

Speshpaul

Breaking news … its snowing here ….. 😆

votchy
    Free Member

Speshpaul, route we were going to do is this one:

Long mynd and devils chair

Nick

That route looks pretty good considering the weather forecast, will be blowy, but no worse than the Sunday before Christmas when we did something similar and we had horizonal “aggressive” hail 🙂

Worst bit will probably be around Lower Vessons, will be a bit shitty there, but it’s only a short section so I wouldn’t worry about it.

Speshpaul

You should be ok, its not a very technical route but theres some big hill miles in there.

Worth noting, when you come over the stiperstones at the furthest point from the start there is a cafe a little off route at the Bog.

http://www.bogcentre.co.uk/

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Long Mynd Saturday – opinions required’ is closed to new replies.