Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Long Mynd – how good?
  • rascal
    Free Member

Going tomorrow for first time in 15 years – basically can’t remember it much.
    The group I’m with are quicker up and down – the bit I do remember is it’s very up and down!
    Not nice being the guy everyone’s waiting for…having a little dilemma about whether to go or not…

jekkyl

It’s worth going yes. It has a great wild feel about it which I enjoy and it’s very scenic. I tend not to go all that often even though it’s just under an hour’s drive for me as it’s sort one big up and then down. I prefer (a bit) more variation.

onewheelgood

It’s possible to go up and down more than once

https://www.strava.com/activities/320190235

Hob-Nob
    Free Member

I did a couple of rides there a few years ago, one semi guided by a local celebrity, which I think in about 45km had one descent (which was cheeky) that was great. Another which was ok, the rest were boring.

Views were nice though.

I have never been back

fathomer

Wayne, stop being a nob, you’ll be fine 😀

fr0sty125
    Free Member

Went for the first time earlier this year Minton Bach and Townbrook (cheeky) were very good. I would only do Townbrook at a very quiet time like early morning mid-week.

Trailforks app is good for Long Mynd trails.

martinhutch

Didn’t notice the climbs being particularly desperate, particularly the forest track one at the far end, that’s just a non-technical spin. The one by the glider club is a bit tougher, but it doesn’t last long.

However, if anyone suggests just nipping up Asterton Bank (the road) at the end of the day for one more descent, you should definitely give them a quizzical look. I had to have a little lie down on the grass at the top after doing this.

rascal
    Free Member

I wondered which one of you would read it first Sam! Is it nob or knob anyway?
    I’ll go – you might be waiting more than usual that’s all…unless it’s pissing down that is!

carlos
    Free Member

Its great down there, a good mix of fast grass, twisty ST, punchy climbs, cheeky stuff in the woods.

To make the most of it you defo need to put the climbs in

https://www.strava.com/activities/1010104610

reformedfatty
    Free Member

http://mountainedgeresort.co.uk/media/2016/01/a4-mtb-long-mynd-map-web-424×600.jpg

A useful resource.. I went with the missus who is not a confident rider and she enjoyed it. Cracking views, and even the easy descents are great in a kind of exposed but not difficult way.

The Green Dragon in Little Stretton proved an excellent stop point for us with good food and beer resulting in over-exuberant lunch beer consumption and an early finish.

molgrips
    Free Member

Natural bike park. Winch up one of the roads or fire roads, ride along the top track to select your descent and wheeeeee! Repeat until hometime.

jekkyl

Are you taking rascal on the route with the 5 ups then fathomer? 😀

everyone
    Free Member

I hope so! Love a good climb I do.

binners

We were only talking the other night about how we’d not ridden Long Mynd for a few years, and how bloody good it is! On the back of it we’re planning a camping trip and a weekends riding 😀

molgrips
    Free Member

Binners, it’s near my folks’ place. Let me know if you don’t mind a tag along.

scandal42
    Free Member

Look forward to seeing you tomorrow Wayne 🙂

Looks like rain in the morning but clearing up after 9ish, no excuse then 😉

binners

It’ll be good to see you Molls. I’ll be with the forums premier law-enforcement officer 🙂

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Long Mynd – how good?’ is closed to new replies.