• This topic has 37 replies, 25 voices, and was last updated 9 years ago by Bedds.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • Long Mynd / Church Sretton
  • Danno72
    Free Member

Heading up Westhope for a family get together on Friday and looking to do some riding on Saturday. Had a look at the Mtb routes on the Strettonhills website. Just wondering if anyone has any good loop ideas? Is there a good order or any unmarked stuff to do? Maybe I could tag along on a ride if anyone is about?

Cheers

welshfarmer

Did a 31 mile loop last weekend taking in the Stiperstones (rough), Eastridge Woods (fun, trail centre loop) and Minton Batch (supposedly best natural singletrack in the area (and worth the trip for that alone really). Lot of sharp climbs there though so whatever you choose, be aware that it may be tougher than you imagine based on distances alone.

Danno72
    Free Member

Bloody hell 31 miles? Yeah not looking to do that much. Will keep in mind the sharp climbs though. Will definitely check out the Minton batch. Is it best to park up in Church Stretton and start from there?

jakd95
    Free Member

I’d cycle to Church Stretton from Westhope, it’s only about 6 miles miles. And then any of the descents on the Long Mynd are great. If you look at the Long Mynd Mountain bike map number 9 and 11>12>14 are my favourites. Although 8 (Minton Batch) is also worth doing if you have time. It takes about an hour to go up to the top from Stretton and back down again so it’s fairly easy to figure out how many runs you’ve got time for.

jakd95
    Free Member

I’d park in the Co-op car park if you drive, it’s right in the centre of the town and handy for getting up onto the Mynd. if you need a bike shop for any reason then Plush Hill Cycles in the market square are excellent.

Danno72
    Free Member

Whats the best way to the top?

jekkyl

I’ve been quite a few times and the last 2 times I’ve done this loop. Park anywhere near church stretton, there’s lot of free parking not far way, if you go down carding mill valley you’ll have to pay.
    If you want the quickest route up I think it’s no 10, the path at the end of carding mill valley, you’ll have to shoulder your bike at one point for a short while and the rest is steep so just grind away. If you want to cycle up but take a bit longer then go up the road (the purple line next to carding mill) or go up from all stretton No 14.
    If you go up from carding mill at the top take a left and then hang a right when the path forks to go through the carpark, over a tarmac road and straight over. This path leads eventually to the summit cairn. Bomb on down and do minton batch, it’s ace. At the bottom after the lane and farm you’ll come to a very definite T junc, turn right and follow the road all the way, taking another right I think and eventually you’ll start to climb back up the mynd through a forest and you’ll pass a big sign saying long mynd. On the map this is No1. The fire road snakes through the forest and at a fireroad T junction just after a hairpin uphill, take a left and a while after that you’ll pass through a gate, take a right here and follow the path through the gliding club with all the gliders parked up. You’ll pass minton batch again but carry on to the summit and back the way you came.
    After that you’ll have a choice of descents, 11,12 and 14 is excellent fun and very fast to start but if you find yourself short of time head back down carding mill as that path is nice and techy and fairly quick.
    Have fun!

edward2000
    Free Member

Im interested in this too as i live in Manchester but my office is in Leominster (i dont go there very ofter) and i’ve always wandered whats in those amazing looking hills as i pass through.

BigJohn

You can’t get lost there. Its just along, up, along, down till you’ve had enough. Make sure your boots are comfy for walking in though. You’ll be doing plenty of that.

RoterStern
    Free Member

Personally I would give the road next to Carding mill a miss. It’s always busy at the weekend and narrow. I always used to ride from Church Stretton to All Stretton and then there is a steep track that starts next to a white pub IIRC which then meets the top of the Carding Mill Valley track.

Scamper
    Free Member

Minton can be wet especially this time of year. From Pole Bank 11-12-14 is a lovely way to end the day – was great in the snow after Xmas. After some flatish stuff, just wide open fast bridleway with great views over to the Lawley and beyond, finishing off with some nice tight singletrack but just watch the little drop in at Jinlye.

ThePinkster

If you’re blasting down Minton Batch watch out for sheep!

Had one step out right in front of me after a corner last time I was there, which was quite interesting.

Danno72
    Free Member

Brilliant advice people, cheers. I’m assuming all these numbers are on sign posts?

Danno72
    Free Member

Being a Kiwi I know how to deal with the sheep……

spacey

Are those numbered 2&3 worthwhile as decents? I’ve never dropped off the back, if that makes sense, it looks steep – is it any good?

Scamper
    Free Member

Not sure about the numbered posts – some new posts seem to have been put up since I lived there, but never looked as I know my way around. If its your first time although the Mynd is not huge, it is possible to find yourself navigating off down the wrong valley even in good weather so double check the map.

scruff
    Free Member

2 is good but a few turns easy to miss.

SimonR

Yep – I enjoy 2 too – there’s one left hander in particular that catches you out.

lcfr
    Free Member

Minor thread hijack. Just moved to south Shropshire (BC) any pointers on where to ride at this time of year?
    Going to try Hopton Castle, just wondering what the local word is on trail conditions and where to avoid.

Thanks!

barffy
    Free Member

Minton batch is awesome. The whole of Shropshire is but no one seems to know it. Eastridge/Hopton/Wrekin/Ercall/Long Mynd are always deserted in terms of bikers. Plenty of walkers in certain places (carding mill and the wrekin really). We did a ride up the Mynd and saw one guy all day. It was heaven, the views are spectacular, so was the wind!

barffy
    Free Member

Oh, and Hopton is doable, but it’s gonna be very wet and the main climb is about 20 mins so bring your climbing legs!

lcfr
    Free Member

Thanks Barfly, my legs know what to expect with Hopton, guessed it might be a mud fest at present. Will plan on hitting up Minton Batch very soon. 😀

mindmap3
    Free Member

Hopton is ace – I think that it deals with the wet better than Eastridge (we did both on a really minging day last May, and I mean minging). Hopton road much better – Eastridge was grim and I hated pretty much every minute of it.

I’ve ridden Lng Mynd once and enjoyed it. It’s pretty exposed up there and I’m not sure that I’d fancy it on a grotty day. I pared by Blazing Bikes and rode from there – on the way up on a lng fire road climb, there were some unofficial DH runs (reay short) between two of the corners on the climb which were great fun.

lcfr
    Free Member

Cheeky dh options always welcome!

jekkyl

I love the area around the long mynd and I would very much like to move there and explore it every day. Cannock right at the end of M54, less than an hour away as well.

barffy
    Free Member

Hopton a couple of weeks ago.

We got stuck actually driving there though, the main road up to the entrance was thick with ice, and having 3 bikes behind the rear axle didn’t do anything for grip. It took 20 minutes to do the last 100 meters! Be prepared is all I can say!

lcfr
    Free Member

Noted!

ndthornton
    Free Member

Cheeky dh options always welcome!

There are quite a few cheeky options that are way better than Minton Batch, all can be found through Google
    But if you ride them on a weekend you will get shouted at.
    so either stick to weekdays / early mornings / night time – or take some ear plugs

iany
    Free Member

Hi Guys,

Thinking of going soon, how’s it been with the recent wet weather? worth waiting till its dry?

My closer rides are a bit swampy, hanchurch, delamere, apedale etc. i’ve hiked all over the church stretton area and hills, fancy hitting it on bike.

running a 1×9 32t 11-34 so should be challenging if i remember how steep some of those trails are!!

disco_stu
    Free Member

The forest that you ride through to get to back onto the top of Long Mynd after descending Minton Batch, is it worth exploring?
    The last time I did it I did spot what looked like trails going off in various directions.

scruff
    Free Member

Yes.

Pook

I love the Long Mynd I do

[video]http://vimeo.com/39292834[/video]

chakaping
    Free Member

You can’t get lost there.

I wish I’d known that before I got lost there twice in the same ride.

Once was the fault of the guidebook for mixing up its left and right though.

Wouldn’t recommend the route from the Vertebrae book for Wales BTW.

martinhutch

Nice vid Pook. Love that track.

_tom_
    Free Member

I love riding at the Long Mynd. Last time I went I loosely followed the Long Mynd Hard route from The Edge Cycleworks website and it was a nice 28 mile ride! The final descent into little Stretton is so fast, such a fun ride. The climb back up through carding mill valley is horrible though especially on a charge blender haha.

Alex

Nice Vid Pook, we rode most of those tracks a few weeks ago. It wasn’t that dry or warm!

[url=https://flic.kr/p/rcF8QR]MTB Long Mynd – Feb 2015[/url] by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

I think that’s the only picture that’s not occluded in 8/8ths cloud and freezing fog. The climb from Blazing Saddles that’s at the start of your vid was a proper hike-a-bike slog. Extremely moist! Good day tho, be back again soon. It’s only an hour away snd so much to explore. I climbed 95% of Carding Mill, just ran out of energy on those steep steppy bits at the top. One day, I’ll have it!

Here’s some nonsense I wrote once I could again feel my fingers: http://pickled-hedgehog.com/?p=3318

benji
    Free Member

I’m looking forward to visiting the area riding the mountain marathon event in a few months time.

Bedds
    Free Member

I was hoping you had contributed Al, I agree, the Long Mynd area is cracking to ride, I’m hoping to get back when the weather is more like Pooks video and less like Al’s write-up!

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘Long Mynd / Church Sretton’ is closed to new replies.