Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Long, low, slack…. well maybe not long, arrgh I don't know
  • sirromj

I thinking of building up a steel hardtail, starting with a frame buying bits each month. Just can’t decide what I want. Started looking/wanting NS Eccentric Cromo, then Bird Zero AM (nice weight too), but I don’t think I want/need more than 130mm travel up front.

Bulk of my riding is tame XC (pretty flat) with small steps/drops/jumps thrown in for a bit of fun (and I want to do more of this). 120mm full suss is a bit overkill and saps energy, rigid mtb rattles bones too much (but I love the speed of it).

Any suggestions?

Cotic BFE27.5 perhaps?

oldnpastit

Stanton Switchback? There’s a regular and a “long” version, and lots of clearance for big fat tyres for when you decide you need a bit more comfort.

https://www.stantonbikes.com/product/switchback-631-next-gen/

sirromj

Stanton is way out of my budget unfortunately. £450 max, preferably less.

sirromj

Is anyone running their Bird Zero AM with shorter travel, anyone know how short will it go and still be good?

chiefgrooveguru

Bird Zero TR? Go down a size if you don’t want long.

BFe isn’t low at all.

chiefgrooveguru

I ran my Zero AM with 130mm and a -2 deg headset. The BB ended up too low for everything but gravity driven shredding and the seat angle was too steep for comfy pedalling on the flat (amazing up steep stuff though!)

I now have the fork at 140mm and an external lower cup -.5 deg Angleset which makes it the same as stock geometry but a fraction slacker.

sirromj

Thanks for the info, and have just read bird-zero-tr so the TR is making more sense (the geo data sheets don’t mean a lot to me).

Had thought steel might be nicer though, but haven’t ridden any modern steel bikes so wouldn’t know.

crashrash

For a hardtail I like steel – bit more zip and takes a bit of buzz out. I have a Cotic so would recommend them. Fab bikes made to last! You might find a Solaris around for your money as they just introduced a new version of the frame – if you would consider a 29er that is – sounds like a good option for the sort of riding you do.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Long, low, slack…. well maybe not long, arrgh I don't know’ is closed to new replies.