Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Long, low, slack …. and cheap
  • spaniardclimber
    Free Member

I’m at the highest point of my midlife crisis and after many, many years mtbking I realised I had no technique so I’ve started riding bmx to improve my skills, and now I’m looking for a cheap HT to use during holidays.

I’m going to use it to practise/learn manuals, bunny hops etc and also, to ride it.

I have very long legs, and normally my handlebars are way below my saddle, using a dropper makes them sort of even, but I always feel my weight is shifted forward when I point down.

I was thinking of getting something (used) like a Commencal Meta HT, Nukeproof Scout, Bird Zero, Whyte 90x.

Am I pointing in the right direction? Any other suggestions?

poah
    Free Member

cheap frame check out a Dartmoor hornet

submarined
    Free Member

Unless the geo has changed, Hornets aren’t long.

90x would be a great choice, live my mate’s 901. Stonkingly fun bike.

spaniardclimber
    Free Member

I’ve checked Commencal Meta HT and they are extremely short if you go with their recommended size, but that’s another story.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Pick up a cheap used giant reign.

akkwlsk
    Free Member

Unless the geo has changed, Hornets aren’t long.

The geo for 2017 Hornet has changed, it’s ~3cm longer than previous version, here is the tab http://dartmoor-bikes.com/sites/default/files/documents/2017_Dartmoor_MTB_frames_geometry.pdf

honourablegeorge

Reign isn’t a hadtail in the traditional sense, what with the 160mm on the rear

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Oops! :mrgreen:

timitoes
    Free Member

Can recommend the zero am. I’ve been riding an XL all winter. Building an aeris 145 at the moment as I’ve been so impressed by the zero.

churzen
    Free Member

Ragley mmmbop, long low and slack, I love mine. I’m 6’2″ and with the dropper it’s a very confidence inspiring ride.

higgi
    Free Member

I have a new On-One Parkwood 27.5 frame for sale . it is 18″

superstu
    Free Member

I bought an pinnacle Iroko, similar geo to the whyte

vondally
    Free Member

Not long but Stooge

chiefgrooveguru

My solution is a Bird Zero AM (long and low and slack-ish) with an angleset (slack).

436mm reach in a medium, 45mm BB drop, 65.4 deg stock head angle (mine is currently 64.9 deg but I can go down to 64.4 or 63.9 if I swap the cups).

Bear in mind they sag about 1.5 deg steeper when comparing with full-sis geometry.

Mind you my 140mm full-sus is now 64.1 or 64.6 static and will be shifting to 63.7 or 64.2 before my next outing to gnarlier climes… It’s shorter in reach so the front-centre is quite similar.

rob1984p
    Free Member

On one 456 evo 2. Got my frame on offer for £150, I was replacing my Orange P7 as I wanted dropper capability and not to spend a lot. It’s so good. I’m 5’8″ and downsized to xs, it was still 2″ longer in the top tube than the p7.

jaylittle
    Free Member

Another + for the zero is the transferable warranty.

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)

The topic ‘Long, low, slack …. and cheap’ is closed to new replies.