Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Long johns (or similar)
  • andysbikeclinic
    Free Member

This is the first morning in four months where I’ve noticed a chill in the air, so naturally my thoughts have turned to the tricky problem of keeping warm in the workshop through the autumn/winter.

I will have heating in the workshop, but in a typical belt and braces style, I’d like to have a back-up/complementary solution.

So, can anyone suggest an effective manufacturer of insulation-type clothing? I used to have some manky old M&S efforts, but they were pretty mince.

And yes, before anyone says it, I know I need to MTFU!
    Cheers!

Jamie
    Free Member

I have some Helly Hansen Warm Pants. Managed to get them in the sales for £25 or thereabouts.

andysbikeclinic
    Free Member

Thanks Jamie, did you find them effective?

stumpy01

I bought some cheap ‘Parallel’ branded ones for skiing one year from a ‘Blacks/Mountain Warehouse’ type shop. They really do the job.

M&S last year had a really good range of thermal stuff; I bought a twin pack of their long sleeve thermal tops and they are excellent.

Jamie
    Free Member

Thanks Jamie, did you find them effective?

Seemed to do the job. Nice and tight, though. So sizing was tricky.

Edit: With the above in mind, you’re probably better off just going M&S as you can try ’em on.

sharkattack

I got some of the thin black long johns from M&S last year and wore them every day for about 6 months. Highly recommended. Also tried the thicker blue ones which were a bit hot and heavy and a nightmare if they got wet.

Got my black ones on standby now that it’s chilling out a bit!

andysbikeclinic
    Free Member

May be worth taking another look at M&S in that case.

Thanks for the recommendations guys.

matt_outandabout

I really rate the HH Warm ones – the mix of merino and man made is user warm, wicking and comfortable.
    I also have some Patagonia Capel in ones, and they are brilliant on wet paddling in canoe days as they dry so quick.

joshvegas
    Free Member

I have the white m and s ones the really warm ones had to buy my ex a pair before I could get her out of mine.

They have reached that perfect shade of grey now.

hammyuk
    Free Member

Columbia Omni-heat – end of thread 😉

andysbikeclinic
    Free Member

joshvegas…too much information.

TooTall
    Free Member

Proper footwear will also help. Decent boots/shoes and good socks.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Long johns (or similar)’ is closed to new replies.