Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Long Farnborough off-road ride
  • molgrips
    Free Member

Anyone got a tracklog of a 3 hour ish ride starting from Farnborough? I don’t mind if there’s lots of road in it.

scottfitz
    Free Member

YGM (Route only 2 hours 20mins)

shortcut

You can go a very long way from Farnborough in an off road circuit. 100 miles plus is doable.

nedrapier

scott – could you ping to me as well, please? could be handy for me if it goes south of Farnborough.

molgrips
    Free Member

Yes, would like a 100 mile route 🙂

zbonty

Veering slightly OT but I can recall a 100mile Chilterns loop in the old MBI mag in the 90s (Mountain Bike International) that I’d like to see again.
    Would take more than 3 hours from Farnbrough though..

nedrapier

Cross the A331, into Deepcut/ Ash ranges, then south of the A31 into the North Downs and Puttenham Common. Go East, south of Guildford, to Shere and the middle 50 miles of gee’s Surrey hills 100, then follow the Downs link to the South Downs way, East to Eastbourne, back to Winchester then back again to QECP, couple of laps of all the tracks, up to Rogate DH, (might need a bit of road for that bit); lap Rogate til sated, then north to Halsemere, Devils Punchbowl, Hankley Common, Alice Holt, Ceasar’s Camp and back home for tea and medals!

Edit – I thought Ceasar’s camp was the military bit north of Upper Hale Rd/ Sandy Hill Estate/ Farnham BMX track? Seems not. What’s that bit called, then?

Edit again after the below – Ceasar’s Camp! Apparently he had more than one. Figures.

theotherjonv

You’ll be after the Tour de Gorrick. Haven’t got as a route, because it’s in my head mainly and bits of it are extremely malleable – you can find acres of ST in most of these areas and stay as long as you want and then move on.

Get a map out.

Basically, From Farnborough, I’d head along the Amazingstoke canal. At Norris Bridge do some singletrack stuff all over Pyestock eventually ending up at Fleet Pond. From there cross over the M3 and do Minley and Hawley, loads of ST in there too. From there do Yateley common / Cricket Hill, Trilakes, Wildmoor, to the back of Broadmoor.

Then do Crowthorne woods and all that ST. Then do BlueRedBlue of Swinley, before crossing Barossa/Olddean (sshhhh!!! no singletrack there whatsoever) to the TV mast. Head along the Maultway a bit before turning left into Bagshot Heath / back of Lightwater Ctry pk; not much ST there but lots of steep rubbly hills.

Parallel the road along Chobham Ridges to arrive at Porridgepot. Loads of ST here, and the other side of the road by the golf course (Frith Hill) and then over the other side of the Canal at Tunnel Hill. When you’ve had enough, get back on the canal. But you aren’t done yet, unless you are.

Where the canal hits the Blackwater Valley path go south until you reach Badshot Lea. Then there’s about 2 miles of road to Farnham, where you head up castle street to just past the Castle, and there’s a left turn on Old Park Lane, which takes you to the top of Caesers camp. You guessed it, there’s tonnes of ST here. And then some more the other side of Bourley Road too. Until finally, broken and sore you get back on the canal again at Eelmoor, at the end of the Farnborough runway, and limp home again.

By my reckoning there’s around 80 odd miles in that route and that’s without even finding / doing all the ST in each area. Easily less than 10 miles of road, and less than 10 miles of canal / BV path, so by that reckoning must be 50+ miles of singletrack and forest road. And mainly ST.

I’ve never been great with garmins but I reckon if you put a few salient way points in, you can just explore the ST areas (there’s usually tracks to follow) and when you’ve had enough, head broadly to the next waypoint, and so on.

molgrips
    Free Member

Thanks all. Exploring singletrack doesn’t fit in that well with a long ride, for me at least. I know there is loads but finding it isn’t that easy. Given some of the place names mentioned it should help though.

doncorleoni
    Free Member

35 mile / 2.5 hr cx route looks a bit like this. Mix of road / gravel path / Swinley

molgrips
    Free Member

Is there a tcx of that don? Strava link?

doncorleoni
    Free Member

Sent you a gpx of that route extracted from strava

molgrips
    Free Member

Brill, thanks.

singletrackmind

What day are you thinking of Molly?
    Want some slow company?

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Long Farnborough off-road ride’ is closed to new replies.