Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Long distance fully rigid
  • molgrips
    Free Member

the ‘road-like’ position you describe may not be great for long back to back days

Well, I’m really thinking of three bikes – my old Orange P7* (23″ top tube, 130mm stem etc); my current road bike, and my 07 Kona Heihei (FS, 105mm stem), all of which have done plenty of long long days and feel** a lot more positive and efficient than my other FS bikes which are of course better for technical stuff. Of course something like a Stooge could be just fine too but I don’t really have the luxury of trying all the alternatives, particularly as I’m not buying a full bike. All I can do is take a punt.

You’re right of course that eventually it might become uncomfortable, but I feel that the Stooge in particular is less conventional than the others so might be harder to adjust to all purposes.

Re durability – are steel frames really any more durable than CF? As for saving 2lbs in gear – of course, but gear will be minimised as well. However, given the other duties the bike will have to perform as well as the TDR steel could be the way forward.

I’m beginning to doubt if I’ll ever get to actually do the TDR though.. it’s a big ask of the family..

* sadly nicked

** feel being the operative word – never done a proper test to see if the riding position really makes a difference to overall speed

jameso

are steel frames really any more durable than CF?

Highly debatable either way really. On a fatigue test jig, perhaps not, carbon should win there. A massive generalisation but anyway, assuming both are a fair representation of the type. In real world use where frame bags are strapped to a bike, cables rub and they’re dropped against fence posts by stumbling-tired riders, I’d say steel frames have a better chance of surviving long-term use. Carbon from the right supplier is pretty solidly-built stuff these days though.

molgrips
    Free Member

Carbon frames with rack mounts pretty much don’t exist, anyway, so it’s moot 🙂

charliedontsurf

Salsa el mariachi in steel.
    Size large for you at 5’11”
    Call me or FB me and we can do you a nice deal.
    match it up with the firestarter fork that can take anything cages.

rear rack, we have the salsa specific ones here, But do you really need a rack….

….We now have Revelate bags here too. The picture below is my rig for crosing Iceland, inc 7 days of food.

molgrips
    Free Member

I do want a rack yes. I sometimes travel for work by bike and train, with a week’s worth of clothes and gear and I like to use panniers for that for ease of getting on and off trains etc. I currently use my commuter but I would really appreciate the ability to use a decent MTB so I could ride in the evenings.

Paceman
    Free Member

^^Charlie, I love your Krampus loaded up for Adventure^^ 😀

Viewing 6 posts - 41 through 46 (of 46 total)

The topic ‘Long distance fully rigid’ is closed to new replies.