Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Long Boards
  • growinglad
    Free Member

What do I need to know?

Quite often ride to work, but would also like to use the train more than the car. Problem is, it’s a 20minute fast walk to the station, which takes my door to door from 30 minutes, to 50 minimum.

Loads of good flat cycle paths.

I’m thinking of using a long board to speed up my journey to and from the station.

Good idea?

What do I need to look for?

Had a quick look on this site…lots to choose from:

https://www.skatedeluxe.ch/en/complete-longboards?eav=2&sort=relevance&count=60&cPath=148Head%20over%20to%20the%20complete-longboards%20at%20the%20skatedeluxe%20onlineshop

I saw a video with a Boosted board….nice idea…hefty price tag.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I have a Globe Pinner like this –

It’s great for cruising about on but I wouldn’t want to go anywhere in a hurry on it.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Not sure how you’d get to the station on it, but this one looks nice.

4130s0ul
    Free Member

I’ve got a Lush Chopper…

Chopper

if it’s for commuting I’d suggest getting a cruiser or slightly longer skateboard with 63mm or over wheels to help with any rougher surfaces.

The longer boards take a lot more to get up to speed but once you’re there it can get very fast indeed. but for the most part this only helps when on an incline.
    If you like a lower stance look into a drop through board where the trucks are mounted through the deck. but for a starter I’d just get a cheaper board and see how you get on.

something like the Landyachtz Tugboat would be a good start. check out some of the Youtube videos to see what they can do

Killer
    Free Member

i used to comute to uni on mine. 73mm kryponite wheels worked well.
    i prefer the softer flexier boards. Wider the trucks the more stable but more of a pain to turn it is.

above 40-45″ long i’d say is too long
    I had a 5’6″ one for a while. Was lovely to look at but had hte turning circle of a tanker and therefore was terifying on even a gentle incline

think you might be best to try a few out to see what you like as they handle so differently given wood type, thicknesses, shapes, trucks, rubbers and wheels

unfortunatley i have no scientific way of taking that info and equating it to how it rides

kayla1
    Free Member

I bought a drop-through from Aldi a few months ago and I use it every now and again, it’s good fun!

TurnerGuy
    Free Member

There’s a guy in Woking that shoots around on a Boosted Board :

jonners
    Free Member

loaded tan tien is the answer to any “what longboard” question

4130s0ul
    Free Member

the Loaded isn’t a cheap way to try something out though (even though it is a great board)
    but then again it’s a lot cheaper than a boosted board!

rosscore
    Free Member

There is another alternative spin off from SUP (Stand Up Paddleboarding) it’s a slightly bigger long board (=easier to balance) and you punt it along with a stick with a nob on the end, some would argue there is a nob on both ends, but I’m just putting it out there whilst I try and remember what they’re called. (other than homophobic epithets)

Edit, not the one I’m trying to find, but it’s the general idea.. here

rosscore
    Free Member
    growinglad
    Free Member

loaded tan tien

Aye, that is a nice one, but at the upper end of the price range….

What’s the idea with the drop through truck mounting?

Views on this one?

https://www.skatedeluxe.ch/en/long-island-ebony-38-9-99cm-complete-longboard_p88594?eav=2%2C92%2C96&sort=relevance&count=60&cPath=148%5DLong Island

gemini29
    Free Member

Very good VFM :
    Mindless Peche

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

The topic ‘Long Boards’ is closed to new replies.