Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Long boarding
  • bubs

I received a long board as a present after casualy mentioning how cool they looked in a Lonely the brave video. I am old, I don’t live in California, I can’t skate and I am not Walter Mitty. The board is currently a wall ornament, should I get it down and surf my local park or convert it into a go-cart for my kids (it’s no use to them as it is as it’s not fit for the ramps).

CountZero

I’ve toyed with the idea of getting one, a regular board is totally inappropriate considering my age, but I do like the idea of carrying the board to the seaside and cruising along the prom, in a nice sedate fashion.
    It’ll probably never happen, but who knows.
    It would be a shame to butcher it and make a go-kart that’ll get trashed in five minutes; even a cheap longboard isn’t that cheap…

JohnJohn
    Free Member

At 50 something I’m an occasional long boarder thank to my daughter. I have to say her new downhill board is far more stable and forgiving than the twitchier cruiser that she used to make me ride.
    Give it a go, whats the worse that could happen 😯

hot_fiat

Do it. I love trundling around our park on my 48″ behemoth. Just be aware of the fact that a longskate caused me more serious injuries in the first six months of ownership than bicyles, skis, snowboards, racing cars and my stupid powekite ever did.

Mister-P
    Free Member

I have one that gets used once in a while. I take it to the park with my 7 year old daughter. She scoots and I skate, it’s ace. I probably look like a right old fool on it but who cares?

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Go slow, bend your legs and open up your shoulders.

Whatever you do don’t try and go down a hill, skates go very fast very quick and it WILL end in much pain.

Wear a helmet.

What can possibly go wrong?

bubs

Hmmm. I wonder if I can hire one of those inflatable Sumo suits, I can’t see this going anywhere but pain (and public humiliation). I guess I need to get a p pot helmet with stickers now.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Speed is your friend. Find some big hills and go for it.

Can i have your bikes??

Get some wrist guards and use helmet and pads.
    Find some nice smooth cruisy tarmac.
    Build up.. get used to carving and how to turn.
    Repeat at faster speeds..

Its addictive until you come off at 30mph+

sparkyspice
    Free Member

I bought a long board in December after having a go on my kids penny boards. They were just having so much fun, so I thought for £20 on eBay, what could go wrong?

We live on a hill and can zig zag our way down to the town on some shallow-ish slopes. Often we skate/scoot and meet the wife down at the shops.

An old friend saw me and asked “Aren’t you a bit old for that?”, to which my reply came “What? To old to have fun?”.

Get out on it!

We have also travelled 5 miles along the seafront with me on my longboard and my daughter on her scooter, using two plastic garden canes and an old tarpaulin in the wind! Great fun…

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Go for it.

Not a longboard but I got a skateboard for Christmas having never owned a one before. I was a mediocre surfer / wakeboarder so have some idea of balance. I’m yet to do more than skin an elbow and I looked bloody awesome turning up to school on it this morning. My children thought I was the coolest teacher there.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

Like bikes, there is a world of difference between a cheap one and a good one.

cloudnine
    Free Member

There’s some good deals on sports direct for penny long boards

big_n_daft
    Free Member
    mitsumonkey
    Free Member

[video]https://youtu.be/ygl1JFb-b8A[/video]
    Jeez!!! 😯

makecoldplayhistory
    Free Member

Wow Mitsu!

Won’t they have insane foot-tingle?

CountZero

Should I ever get a longboard, I can assure everyone that any sort of down slope is quite out of the question!

cloudnine
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RRajODlCSE[/video]

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Long boarding’ is closed to new replies.