Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Long Audax – 13 hours riding in this heat?
  • RustySpanner

Spotted a load of Audaxy types on my way into work this morning about 6.30 as they headed up Cliviger Gorge toward Burnley.

Just spotted them again heading the other way as I was driving home. 😯

Had a quick look but can’t see any events on the calender, anyone any wiser?

And more to the point, how on earth can you survive 13 hours out in this?

Junkyard
    Free Member

different groups?
    Just spent 7 hours in the pub?

qwerty
    Free Member

“Long audax” = hard-core. Period. 😉

Sven

There was (or ‘is’ for some participants) an Audax that started at 6am on Saturday in Mytholmroyd/Hebden Bridge, they went to the East coast near Scarborough, came back to Mytholmroyd, then to Blackpool, and back to Mytholmroyd, altogether 600km. A friend of mine finished it Sunday afternoon, maybe it was that one (Audax, not friend)?

RustySpanner

Junkyard – lazarus
    different groups?
    Just spent 7 hours in the pub?

I can only assume I caught the front of the first wave out and the end of the last few home.

7 hours in the pub?
    Possibly on a Sportive.
    This lot were all mudguards and Carradice.
    Half an hour in a hedge, tops.
    🙂

RustySpanner

Ta Sven, that’ll be it then!

I look at these people in the same way I look at astronauts or the ancient Greeks.
    I’m aware we’re the same species, but the similarly seems to end right about there.

Buy your mate a pint from me.
    🙂

thomthumb
    Free Member

did a 12 hour day on the bike 2015, 140 km from Bruges to Rotterdam, it was 38 C. There was almost no shade the entire day.

It was hard, really hard. Day was spent trying not to overheat and to find shade to stop in. Extended lunch stop to avoid the midday sun etc.

At one point across the barrages we hadn’t seen shade for 3 hours!

flowerpower
    Free Member

I’m staying in Keswick this weekend (just pottering about)…

Yesterday was the Bob Graham round (24 hr fell race) today is the Lakesman iron-man. Huge respect to anyone doing either, especially in this heat.

RustySpanner

Sven, be interesting to know how much your mate had to eat and drink to stay sane and mobile.

Buy him another pint, from Junkyard.
    🙂

MoreCashThanDash

Hoping to get a 200k audax in this year, not done one for a couple of years. That’s a 10 hour day for me.

If anyone is at a loose end this summer, London-Edinburgh-London is on. Seem to recall 96 hours is the time for “audax kudos”.

Same sort of hard as nails madness as Tour Divide though?

Sven

Buy him another pint

I will, should see him tonight in Eskdale, I will be riding Burnmoor Tarn/Miterdale, but he dropped out, mumbled something about tired hands, feet, and backside (but not legs!).

Sven, be interesting to know how much your mate had to eat and drink to stay sane and mobile

A fry-up in Blackpool and an omlette near Preston according to his texts, and that’s just the final 130km. Apparently, trying to get enough protein in seems harder for him than carbohydrates, and given the size of the protein powder bags in his car I saw the night before, I can believe him. I’ll ask him roughly how many kcals he took in.

If anyone is at a loose end this summer, London-Edinburgh-London is on

My mate is doing LEL this summer as well, the three 600km Audaxes (Audaces?) he is doing in the two months beforehand are just training/warm-up for that.

highlandman
    Free Member

West Highland Way race is this weekend coming- 95 mile ultra marathon. 14-35 hours will be the spread of times, roughly; there are some properly hardy folk about.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Long Audax – 13 hours riding in this heat?’ is closed to new replies.