Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)
  • Loneliness…
  • Mounty_73

This is a serious post and I am sure I will get the ‘man up’ answer at some point…

Its really hard to post this up, but I moved both house and job nearly 4 years ago. I work in IT for a very small company.

Most of my family live about an hour or so away. I live with my girlfriend and we have no children. About 12 months ago I started feeling different and its not getting any better.

I cant quite put my finger on it all or give it a name, but I think & feel that its loneliness.

Over the last few years I have suffered with a great deal of grief, losing family members. I finally managed to get some counseling in to help with it all, as I thought I might be suffering from some form of depression, but I have been told by the professionals that its not depression and to be honest I was quite relieved that it wasn’t…

I don’t really know anyone around the area of where I live, except the people I work with, most of my spare time is spent on my own and now its really starting to get to me…

I just wanted to put it out there just to see if anyone else has suffered with anything similar…

bikebouy
    Free Member

Woman up.

jamj1974

Yes, most definitely. As a child we moved often and a couple of times I wasn’t able to make friends before we moved again. All I can say is that it was very hard indeed.

muppetWrangler
    Free Member

I just wanted to put it out there just to see if anyone else has suffered with anything similar…

Yes, but due to different circumstances. Afraid i can’t offer any advice beyond the obvious and likely unhelpful “join a club/get out more” which I appreciate is easier said than done. Hopefully someone will be able to offer something more useful but I wanted to post to let you know that you’re not the only person dealing with similar feelings.

spendtoomuch
    Free Member

Yep, happened to me before.

All I can say is that you need to take the lead. Put up on forums that you want to organise a ride etc. I’ve always found that even going out for the occasional ride with others is the best way of making yourself feel better

slackalice
    Free Member

IMO, the most important life skill is to be happy and content in one’s own company. There are many ways in which to find out how you may be able to do so.

Meditation and mindfulness are two such en vogue paths. Both can help you reduce your yearning for external validation.

scotroutes

+1

There’s usually lots of folk on here willing to meet up for a chat/ride if you ask. I know that, for some folk, it can be intimidating if it’s a large crowd. Other prefer that as they can disappear in it and freak at the idea of meeting 1:1. Also, I think most of us are a bit reticent about riding with strangers as we don’t want to get shown up.

If it’s not too much to ask, post up roughly where you live and see what offers you get.

bigyim
    Free Member

Mounty what area are you in? Maybe someone is looking for a riding partner

shermer75
    Free Member

No one is going to tell to man up, unless they mean it as a joke (see above) 😉 .

It’s very easy to get caught out by loneliness, especially if you’ve had a big life change- and it sounds like you have had several. Yes, I have been through it to. No, it wasn’t easy. Yes, it did get better- it took a bit of hard graft though! Without meaning to sound obvious, unfortunately the only way out of it is to put the effort in- much easier said than done, I know. But it can be done. Friendships are something that we take for granted because we can rarely remember how it started- it seems like they were always there, for better or worse lol ;-), and then something changes (like moving house) and they’re suddenly not there anymore. But all those friendships did start somewhere, and that’s what it sounds like you need to do now 🙂

fadda

Mounty – anywhere near south Wales?

ThePilot
    Free Member

How about getting a trail dog to go riding with?
    The trouble is with loneliness is that it’s not always solved by spending time with other people.
    It is for some people and perhaps joining clubs and the like will help you but just trying to put a different spin on it.

moose
    Free Member

When I split with my ex (different situation granted) my dogs where a huge solace. We had many a one-sided conversation, but by god did I feel better. A dog may be extreme, but the advice others have given is spot on, where are you in the UK?

matt_outandabout

Scotroutes and muppet have it. Somehow you need to break out into a cycle of friends and activity, and that takes bravery and effort.

If you are near Dunblane, drop me an email.

Let us know how it goes.

alexxx
    Free Member

I had to make some very hard life decisions due to being lonely in an area we moved to.. I know I need friends around me and can’t be on my own all day.. if you know the same then I suggest you act on that sooner and find something more social to balance your lifestyle.. I find things easier now but it’s hard getting back on your feet after feeling like that

ThePilot
    Free Member

Moose, I was just trying to say that spending time with other people isn’t necessarily the answer.
    Dogs aren’t for everyone either and not everyone is in a position to have one but there are other ways to spend time with dogs other than owning one.
    Like I say, just trying to put a different spin on it as loneliness is often caused by many more factors than not having any friends nearby.

kitebikeski
    Free Member

Weekly ride with my mates is my saviour. It feels like a hassle rushing home, wolfing tea down, heading out in the dark – but 2 mins into the ride (and pint after) I remember why it’s so essential to my sanity.

If you are anywhere near Inverness give me a shout.

bearnecessities

What Slackalice said gets my vote for being a healthy step to helping yourself..

Both can help you reduce your yearning for external validation.

…except that bit where he seemed to slip into wafflebollocks 🙂

tjagain

How old are you? It becomes harder to make friends as you get older.

I moved to a new city at 30 and had to make a real effort to make friends but over a few years I did. ( mainly in the local pub) Now 20 years on those friends have all moved away and I don’t see a lot of them.

I find facebook very useful as I chat to both this group of friends and some of the ones I knew from before via it. Its not the same but its better than nowt.

So – make an effort to make friends where you are now. For every 10 folk I struck up an acquaintance with maybe 1 became a real friend but I did develop a group of friends some of whom will be friends for life. YOu have to be proactive in making friends.

Meet up with folk from here to go riding. I did and whilst I met a load of folk they did not by and large become close friends but are still folk I do meet up with now and then.

Unfortunately I am not a club sort of person at all so that route did not work for me but it could for you.

workplace friendships don’t happen for me as the folk I work with are just not into the same sort of things I am,

Decide what you want out of life and go an pursue it. For many of us having a group of friends does enhance our lives.
    Good luck

tjagain

Another thing is to volunteer somewhere at something. Does not have to be the usual sort of thing folk think of – talking to the folk in the local old folks home ( but that can be good) but stuff like national trust properties, preservation societies for various things, that sort of thing.

something yo are interested in.

siwhite
    Free Member

Definitely a hard situation, but you have taken an important first step in identifying and vocalising the problem. I have found myself in a similar situation in the past – renovating a house in a new area, so every moment is spent at home with my wife. Work colleagues were just that – colleagues. I still don’t have a group of close friends, but I have lots of folk I chat to and so forth. I sometimes go out with a local road club – I would ride quicker on my own, but I can chat away with folk.

I think it’s am important skill to be able to strike up a conversation with anyone – I did just that at Swinley today, and ended up riding round with another fella chatting the whole way and comparing bike and riding notes. We’ve planned another ride off the back of that.

If you are anywhere down South, drop me a line and we can do a lap of Swinley or a road / gravel loop and have a pint if you like.

milky1980
    Free Member

I don’t really know anyone around the area of where I live, except the people I work with, most of my spare time is spent on my own.

Sounds familiar that. Moved from the area I grew up in 8 years ago to Cardiff and in all that time I’ve made one or two friends that I didn’t know beforehand. I just don’t really fit in with a city lifestyle though, I’m only here as it’s where my job is. I did join a few online forums that were related to my hobbies and interests and have met a group of people that I am friends with and we meet up regularly from one and two now friends from another. I’m thinking of getting back into road riding next year to take advantage of the various local clubs, but then I rather like riding on my own on the road so I don’t know how that will go. Which brings me on to this point:

IMO, the most important life skill is to be happy and content in one’s own company.

I have always gravitated to being on my own a lot of the time all my life, it makes me calm and allows me to quantify other things in my life. Thinking time if you will. This does lead to me neglecting some friendships at times but most of my friends are aware of this trait. It does help that the vast majority of my friends from all parts of my life are the type that we can not see each other for a year or more but just pick up where we left off the last time we saw each other.

The trouble is with loneliness is that it’s not always solved by spending time with other people.

This.

I don’t like being in awkward social situations so I had to find other ways to ‘cure’ the loneliness I was feeling at one time. Riding bikes and going for walks really helped. Ironically it;’s while doing these things I am at my most social 😀

I think the key is being content with yourself and what you do have rather than looking at what you don’t have, be it friendships, material goods or wealth.

spendtoomuch
    Free Member

If you are based in the south and want to get out for a ride at some point feel free to reply. Happy to head out whenever

RobHilton
    Free Member

I spoke to a stranger at Swinley today too! As a massive introvert I’d put this down to some kind of anomoly and normal service has now been resumed :mrgreen:

I’d be in a similar position as you, OP, if I wasn’t part of a Kung Fu school and trained 5 times a week. Being just a bit too busy keeps the walls from closing in, but means I’ve got no time to date or anything…

If you’re anywhere near the shit-tip I now call home (Reading) and fancy a ride or a beer then shout.

anagallis_arvensis

Aloneless is a state of being loneliness is a state of mind..said someone or other once!

tjagain

Rather than loneliness could it be ennui? A bit more than boredom.

slackalice
    Free Member

milky +lots.

Spot on, eloquent and wise.

Mowgli
    Free Member

I have felt similar in the past and found it lead to too much introspection which can start to spiral. I joined a very active and welcoming climbing club which has made a huge difference to general well being. Clubs are good, but some can feel like hard work to get into if they’re cliquey. Not all are. If you fancy an evening ride from Sheffield, drop me a message.

TheBrick
    Free Member

Another one in a similar situation. Moved down south a few years ago and have made aquatences but not really any friends. Have not found anyone to ride with even though been along to a few meets, everyone was nice but about 20 plus years older and many semi retired. It does demotivate my riding and I have not ridden as much as I should have over the last five years.

pacef8
    Free Member

Very nice gestures from everyone around the country so far, although non of us have tracked you down yet.
    I will add chester area for you.

Its good to share a problem

moose
    Free Member

Indeed, Leeds until the end of Jan, then Salisbury.

MoreCashThanDash

If you’re near Derby I can lend an ear.

I found finding someone else to ride with turned my world back around. Previously I’d been a gym bunny, but riding gives you the time and space to interact with people and learn about an area. The group I ride with has changed over the years as life has evolved for all of us, but there is that revolving pattern of people to ride with, chat with, have a beer with

I also found volunteering got me more interested in what was around me – I help the Scout group and have started helping with the Forestry Commission. Both are so far outside my normal day job they have opened my eyes up to what opportunities there are, and introduced me to another group of people with shared interests.

davidr

What about volunteering? I moved at the start of the year and volunteer fixing bikes for a local cycling charity. It’s a great way to meet people and do something good at the same time.

mrchrispy

(rather ironically) you are not alone in feeling like this, its more common that
    people thing.

http://www.coop.co.uk/our-ethics/charity-partnership/our-2015-shortlist/tackling-loneliness/
    http://www.redcross.org.uk/Get-involved/Corporate-support/Corporate-partners/Co-op

maybe have a chat with the redcross

scotroutes

pacef8 – Member
    Very nice gestures from everyone around the country so far, although non of us have tracked you down yet.

I’m taking a stab at the West Midlands

tjagain

Go on – tell us where you live a huge posse of us will turn up and be cheerful! Just what you need 🙂

pacef8
    Free Member

With a set of hope hoops and a giro helmet if your lucky

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

I’d also recommend volunteering. I started helping trailbuilding at Glentress years ago, also helped out with the original kids club there. I made some very good friends doing that, it also led to work opportunities.

durhambiker
    Free Member

I can completely understand how you feel, been in the same place myself for the past couple of months. Recently moved back to Manchester from Durham after my marriage broke down, and although I’m now back around family and so on (one of the reasons for moving back) and enjoying that, I realised I’m still lonely. School friends have all moved on and have their own lives, and whilst there is the odd get together with some it’s an infrequent thing. I was doing parkrun, but all I would do is rock up 5 minutes before the start, do my run, and then leave, without really talking to anyone. So the past few weeks I’ve been volunteering there instead, as it means I’m there for longer, and end up talking to people whilst I am there, which is helping. Slowly getting to know a few people. Going to drag myself along to the local tri club swim sessions too in a bid to meet some more people. Just accepting the fact it’s going to take a while to get to know folk, but hopefully I’ll find a few like minded souls to spend time with.

simmy
    Free Member

I think milky has it spot on.

” loneliness is a crowded room ” think it was Roxy Music who sang that.

Point I’m making is if you don’t feel a connection with anyone, you can be surrounded by people and still feel on your own. I’m a loner, I’ve a couple of really good mates, two who I see regular, but I love being on my own. Just keep going with my dreams in my head and I’m happy.

I wouldn’t want to be without my mates, but I’d rather have those two who I can say anything to than loads of people around me who I don’t connect to.

DT78
    Free Member

If it helps I feel similar and I have a young family. Zero time for any personal enjoyment just an ever speaking treadmill of stuff to make others happy.

That said just bought a new place a big project and looking forward to enjoying sorting it and enjoying it with others. If you are near southampton drop me a mail. A spin on the bikes, diy or just a beer.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 53 total)

The topic ‘Loneliness…’ is closed to new replies.