Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Londonites and Farringdon bods – please can you help me?
  • wallop

I have a meeting with colleagues in our Farringdon office in a couple of weeks and I need to organise a venue for some post-meeting beers and food.

I’m looking for a nice traditional pub which serves good ale and good food. None of this silly Corney & Barrow wine bar nonsense.

Not straying too far from Farringdon, can anyone recommend anywhere nice?

Thanks muchly!

Stoner
    Free Member

The Griffin, Theobolds rd?

🙂

This is a cracking old pub hidden out the way
    http://www.yeoldemitreholborn.co.uk/

and http://www.butchershookandcleaver.co.uk/ is a straightforward Fullers pub on Smithfield.

Just up the road is http://theoldredcow.com/ but I havent been in there for a while and it worryingly may have been infected with hipsteritis.

Unfortunately one of the best pubs that way is now http://theclerkandwell.co/ It used to be where loads of cycle couriers hung out. Have had good beers there with BigDummy many years ago.

guido

Ye old Mitre or the Argyle are the ones I go to when in Farringdon

bikebouy
    Free Member

We use The Lady Ottoline just around the corner from Condor Cycles, it’s on Northington St, junction with John St.

It’s quiet, fabulous food and real ale.

We love it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Something around Smithfields would be my suggestion. As it’s donkey’s years since I worked around there I will leave it to others (eg Stoner)

thewilllinton
    Free Member

The Jerusalem Tavern is worth a shot. Can get a little busy after work though. m

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

Argyle is a proper shitehole – hate it!

Mitre is good, as is the ClerkandWell

There’s a Brewdog now, just down the road from the Clerk and well

Fox & Anchor is good – the Scotch Eggs are immense!

Cask in Leather Lane worth a look, but will no doubt be very busy

…and then there’s The Griffin for later

cchris2lou

Oh dear going into Farringdon tonight in a basement piano bar.
    I am not hipster at all, bit worried now.

benp1

Jerusalem tavern is a good shout

piedidiformaggio
    Free Member

For something a bit different there’s Bounce

kimbers

Embrace the hipsters and go to brewdog! Or the slaughtered lamb, does very nice beer and food. Old red cow is good too.
    It all gets quite busy round there tbh, so book a table

wallop

You lot are awesome – thank you.

I’ll check them all out when I get home from my evening in a Bristol hipster burger joint 😆

wallop

Piedi – fox & goose was on my radar already but it looks tiny – am I wrong?

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Fox & Anchor is good – the Scotch Eggs are immense!

Cask in Leather Lane worth a look, but will no doubt be very busy

…and then there’s The Griffin for later

That is the order of play sorted! Start at the Fox, head to Craft (Cask is the one in Pimlico) for a few refreshing and interesting beverages, then on to the Griffin for a few late night, erm, drinks.

onewheelgood

A bit further up towards Kings Cross there’s the Eagle http://www.theeaglefarringdon.co.uk/

geetee1972
    Free Member

The Griffin. Definitely The Griffin. It’s been there since I started work in 1995 so it must be doing something right.

MrSmith
    Free Member

The peasant on St John st, good beer and good food, they do crouch vale beer there which is excellent.
    The eagle is great but the wine and beer is not up to much (eaten there for 20 years with loads of clients and the back of my head is in their recipe book!?) if the wine/beer matched the food it would be great.
    Used to go in the cow but then they did a refit and put the prices up plus the food went downhill.
    Fox and anchor is good.
    Jerusalem tavern isn’t somewhere for food and you are unlikely to get a seat.
    The crown on the green is being refurbed at the mo otherwise that would be a option.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

Exmouth arms and the Wilmington at Exmouth market next to Royal Mail (Mount Pleasant ).

Slaughtered lamb is good but Is quite Hipster.

mefty
    Free Member

You have a very simple itinerary, you go to my favourite pub in London, Ye Olde Mitre and have a few beers there. You could eat there but then you would be limited to having old fashioned toasted sandwiches, cheese with either onion, pickle, ham or tomato (done in a toaster) and a pork pie. I haven’t been for a 3 or 4 years but that has been its menu since the mid 80s. They are very cheap though (£2 last time I went, £1 in the 80s). If you are looking for a bit more foodwise, walk up Hatton Garden and turn right onto Greville St on the right you will find the Bleeding Heart Tavern, the gastro pub of the Bleeding Heart complex. Eat there and be comforted that you are using places that have existed for hundreds of years.

I have a recollection you may not be of the male sex, The Griffin is a strip joint. If that appeals, stock up on £1 coins.

doctorgnashoidz
    Free Member

Actually if you want food, clerkandwell.
    It’s Thai mostly but very well done if a tad salt heavy.

WildHunter2009

Smithfield and farringdon is a cracking spot for a few drinks. Back when we where doing all the crossrail drilling and based in a crappy dank underground car park that’s now the new station lobby we used to mostly drink at the fox and anchor or the castle I think it was? Jerusalem tavern is a good call as well.

cchris2lou

Went to the piano works and it seems okay.
    Stupid prices though.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Fabrics about to reopen in Smithfields..

Yo’No!

wallop

£1 coins? Are there slots?

MrSmith
    Free Member

£1 coins? Are there slots?

just go to the front of the stage and follow your nose…

there is also the gunmakers which is tucked away but does good food/beer.

Viewing 25 posts - 1 through 25 (of 25 total)

The topic ‘Londonites and Farringdon bods – please can you help me?’ is closed to new replies.